Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spains squad depth

• 10-01-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Was on wikipedia today, just seen the current (last spain squad) ...and there was a list of players that weren't included in the squad for 1 reason or another.
    You could make an 11 that could compete with the top teams in world out of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_national_football_team

Ridiculous !!

GK - De Gea

DF - Pique
    DF - Azpilicueta
    DF - Alba
    DF - Puyol

MF - Fabregas
    MF - Xavi
    MF - Isco
    MF - David Silva

FW - Diego Costa
    FW - Roberto Soldado

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Belgium also have a pretty healthy squad.

800px-Belgium_National_Team_vs_USA_2013.jpg

good outside e/w bet for W.C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Agueroooo wrote: »

Shocking price now, wouldn't touch them at the current odds the value is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Belgium also have a pretty healthy squad.

800px-Belgium_National_Team_vs_USA_2013.jpg

Belguim are underpriced at this stage. Seems to be best priced at 17/1 at this stage and that is far from a good price imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

shano_88 wrote: »
    Belguim are underpriced at this stage. Seems to be best priced at 17/1 at this stage and that is far from a good price imo.

Agreed it's Spain or Brazil for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any team with Felliani in midfield won't win the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect we quietly wait for the moment the Spanish conveyor belt starts delivering duds but there is no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Spain at 7s aren't a bad price imo

shano_88 wrote: »
    Spain at 7s aren't a bad price imo

Thats a decent price but the bookies are obviously hoping that the Euro team winning on SAmerican soil thing holds true.

Plus, it will be hard to Spain to continue the winning record. Brazil, Argentina and Germany will make it tough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you took out that Belgium 11 though what are you left with ?
    The 11 posted in the OP weren't even in the squad of 22 for the last match ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I wonder how long we'll wait to be informed of just how good Spain are by "you know who".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SeantheMan wrote: »
    If you took out that Belgium 11 though what are you left with ?
    The 11 posted in the OP weren't even in the squad of 22 for the last match ....

Courtois and Hazard to begin with. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Surely De Gea will be in the Spanish squad for the WC? Is Casilles still their #1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Courtois and Hazard to begin with. :pac:

Mertens, Benteke, Chadli, Witsel

(I don't believe they have a chance next year though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Red Crow wrote: »
    Agreed it's Spain or Brazil for me.

Germany?

Best international team in the world for me right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Surely De Gea will be in the Spanish squad for the WC? Is Casilles still their #1?

Casillas, Reina and Valdes are the 3. Whether Casillas, their captain, will be #1 is questionable after a season of being sat on the bench, but Del Bosque will probably stick with him.

I doubt De Gea is even number 4. Id imagine that would be Diego Lopez ahead of him. He is, afterall, holding Casillas out of the Real team on merit this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah but do they have Paul McShane?

No?

Thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Was on wikipedia today, just seen the current (last spain squad) ...and there was a list of players that weren't included in the squad for 1 reason or another.
    You could make an 11 that could compete with the top teams in world out of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_national_football_team

Ridiculous !!

GK - De Gea

DF - Pique
    DF - Azpilicueta
    DF - Alba
    DF - Puyol

MF - Fabregas
    MF - Xavi
    MF - Isco
    MF - David Silva

FW - Diego Costa
    FW - Roberto Soldado

I assume Xavi, Fabregas, Pique, Silva, maybe a few more weren't included as they were injured?
    Not very meaningful in that case.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Any team with Felliani in midfield won't win the WC.

Yeah, cos Fellaini is the problem.
    That goalkeeper in the photo is rock solid I assume?

gimmick wrote: »
    Casillas, Reina and Valdes are the 3. Whether Casillas, their captain, will be #1 is questionable after a season of being sat on the bench, but Del Bosque will probably stick with him.

I doubt De Gea is even number 4. Id imagine that would be Diego Lopez ahead of him. He is, afterall, holding Casillas out of the Real team on merit this season.

I'd have thought De Gea merited a place ahead of Reina. Hasn't Reina lost his place at Napoli? Would also make sense to bring him so he can benefit from the experience, given he's a long term option for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Spain have a ridiculous array of goalkeepers. Casillas, Valdes, Diego Lopez, de Gea, Reina. I've never seen a country have so much quality depth in that position.

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd have thought De Gea merited a place ahead of Reina. Hasn't Reina lost his place at Napoli? Would also make sense to bring him so he can benefit from the experience, given he's a long term option for them.

I remember reading somewhere that Reina is the joker in the gang, and keeps the squad happy and good for team spirit.
    So for the sake of a 3rd choice goalie who won't play anyways, that's why they bring him.

Could be horsesh!t, but equally there could be something in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Neither are certain of their place, Belgium have been rotating the two keepers and have plaeny of other options in MF. Mignolet has made a few mistakes the last few weeks but he is still a very capable keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The pool of talent in Spain is scary. Even the Catalonia national team would give most top international teams a run for there money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

DDG is better than Reina and Valdes imo, and touch and go between him and Casillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

DDG is better than Reina and Valdes imo, and touch and go between him and Casillas.

He's better than all of them imo but is still very inexperienced at international level so don't think he will make the squad.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The pool of talent in Spain is scary. Even the Catalonia national team would give most top international teams a run for there money.

Speaking of provincial sides, is this the same Spain who lost to Northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Speaking of provincial sides, is this the same Spain who lost to Northern Ireland ?

That was what 7 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spains depth and conveyor belt of talent is freightening, you could probably name 3 very good XIs and a decent 4th one too

casillas
    Arbeloa-ramos-pique-alba
    busquets
    xavi--iniesta
    --Pedro--costa---silva

valdes
    Azpi--albiol--puyol--monreal
    alonso
    cesc
    mata
    Villa----negredo--cazolra

reina
    Juanfran--martinez---bartra--moreno
    javi martinez
    thiago
    koke
    isco
    soldado----torres

Many others left out. Frightening stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I know valdes is the butt of jokes at times but hes been very good this season, injury aside.

That was what 7 years ago?

Yeah, about that.

Out of curiosity, I googled the Spanish team that lost to NI

Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos (Salgado 45), Puyol, Pablo, Antonio Lopez, Albelda (Fabregas 29), Xavi, Alonso, Torres (Luis Garcia 63), Villa, Raul.
    Subs Not Used: Reina, Marchena, Reyes, Iniesta. Goals: Xavi 14, Villa 52.

a decent enough side they had out that day
    (not sure why Iniesta was a sub not used)

Yeah, about that.

Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos (Salgado 45), Puyol, Pablo, Antonio Lopez, Albelda (Fabregas 29), Xavi, Alonso, Torres (Luis Garcia 63), Villa, Raul.

Wasn't it immediately after that defeat they started the run of games unbeaten, something like 50 games until they were eventually beaten by the US at the confederations cup

Sometimes if your defence is good and strong they can protect a keeper.

But in the big games v the best, if you are an average midfielder there's no hiding places.

Yeah, about that.

Good side, but even then some of those players were not half as good as they turn out few years later.

They went from being very average to good side very quickly.

Individually that is quite a frightening starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Lets make a fourth team

De Gea

Carvajal/Montoya Ruiz Dominguez

Delf Illarramendi/Herrera Suarez/Benat Michu/Muniain

Jese Morata/Tello Llorente

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The options available to Vicente Del Bosque is jaw-dropping. More than that though, because other countries have impressive squad depth too, it's that practically each Spanish player has been brought up to play the same way, it's a brilliant system in that you can take a player out, bring a player in and the style doesn't change, the player coming in doesn't have a huge amount of adapting to do because he is coming into a side that is playing the type of football that he has been taught his entire life, it's been nurtured and now it's second nature.

A squad that potentially can leave players like Thiago Alcantara, Koke, Illaramendi, Villa and Soldado at home is a credit to Spain as a football nation that they can produce such a wealth of talent. For a time it was thought that this was a golden generation of Spanish players, that claim now looks particularly dubious as a new generation of talents like Bartra, Isco, Thiago, Illaramendi, Morata ect. make their way through. You can't help but draw a comparison with England, who are contemplating bringing Ross Barkley to the World Cup, in Spain such a young, untested talented wouldn't be risked in such a high pressure tournament because there is no need to risk him when established options and future stars are so plentiful.

Not surprising, I think this Spanish side will lift the World Cup, their 4th major tournament in a row.

On the keeper debate, on merit I think Valdes would absolutely deserve to be the Spanish number 1, he is sublime, but I expect Casillas, given that he is the captain, his standing in Spain and that Del Bsoque tends to be quite loyal to the players who have brought him success, to be the number 1 at the World Cup. Still, he's hardly weakening the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lets make a fourth team

De Gea

Carvajal/Montoya Ruiz Dominguez

Delf Illarramendi/Herrera Suarez/Benat Michu/Muniain

Jese Morata/Tello Llorente

He missed out Navas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

The options available to Vicente Del Bosque is jaw-dropping. More than that though, because other countries have impressive squad depth too, it's that practically each Spanish player has been brought up to play the same way, it's a brilliant system in that you can take a player out, bring a player in and the style doesn't change, the player coming in doesn't have a huge amount of adapting to do because he is coming into a side that is playing the type of football that he has been taught his entire life, it's been nurtured and now it's second nature.

A squad that potentially can leave players like Thiago Alcantara, Koke, Illaramendi, Villa and Soldado at home is a credit to Spain as a football nation that they can produce such a wealth of talent. For a time it was thought that this was a golden generation of Spanish players, that claim now looks particularly dubious as a new generation of talents like Bartra, Isco, Thiago, Illaramendi, Morata ect. make their way through. You can't help but draw a comparison with England, who are contemplating bringing Ross Barkley to the World Cup, in Spain such a young, untested talented wouldn't be risked in such a high pressure tournament because there is no need to risk him when established options and future stars are so plentiful.

Not surprising, I think this Spanish side will lift the World Cup, their 4th major tournament in a row.

On the keeper debate, on merit I think Valdes would absolutely deserve to be the Spanish number 1, he is sublime, but I expect Casillas, given that he is the captain, his standing in Spain and that Del Bsoque tends to be quite loyal to the players who have brought him success, to be the number 1 at the World Cup. Still, he's hardly weakening the team.

I can't believe Casillas hasn't made even 1 league appearance this season for madrid. Ok he has played all the cup/CL games but Jose and now Carlo not having him as his main keeper surely says that he is struggling with something or even in decline and makes it difficult for Del Bosque to pick him in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DDG better than Casillas or Valdes? I cannot disagree more.

I can't believe Casillas hasn't made even 1 league appearance this season for madrid. Ok he has played all the cup/CL games but Jose and now Carlo not having him as his main keeper surely says that he is struggling with something or even in decline and makes it difficult for Del Bosque to pick him in the summer.

I agree with what you are saying and if it were a goalkeeper who'd been the number one for only a year or two then he probably would struggle to even make the squad but because it's Ilker Casillas, a genuine legend and hero in Spain, he will still almost certainly start the tournament as number 1. The thought was that Mourinho thought him too influential in the locker room and his friendship with Barcelona players (Xavi in particular) was having a negative effect on the negative atmosphere he was trying to create between players from both clubs. Once he signed an adequate replacement, Diego Lopez, he had his justifiable reason for dropping Casillas. Ancelotti has been an odd one, I fully expected Casillas to go back to his position as undisputed number 1 but it hasn't happened, maybe it's a decline in form (though that hasn't been particularly evident when he's played for Real Madrid in the cup and Europe) or maybe Ancelotti wouldn't feel it is morally just to drop Lopez when he has been excellent since joining Real Madrid. Perhaps his club career may take an unexpected turn out of Madrid but I still expect him to start for Spain at the World Cup, even though based on performances it is not deserved.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    DDG better than Casillas or Valdes? I cannot disagree more.

He plays in the Premier League! For Man Utd no less!!! Just go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

He plays in the Premier League! For Man Utd no less!!! Just go with it.

Funny you put it like that, since you lick the arse of every Barca player with their amazing philosophy.

FWIW, I don't think DDG is better than either of them.

Funny you put it like that, since you lick the arse of every Barca player with their amazing philosophy.

FWIW, I don't think DDG is better than either of them.

I know, damn table topping, record breaking, football re-defining Barcelona, damn them all!

I know, damn table topping, record breaking, football re-defining Barcelona, damn them all!

Bad form bringing up the 7-0 agg drubbing by Bayern

Bad form bringing up the 7-0 agg drubbing by Bayern

I was more referring to their record breaking treble season, in which they beat Ma Utd in the Champions League final but hey, individual interpretation is great.

I was more referring to their record breaking treble season, in which they beat Ma Utd in the Champions League final but hey, individual interpretation is great.

You seem a little rattled!

FWIW Barca are one the greatest sides of all time. I have enjoyed watching them even though they haunted us past few times in CL.

You only have to go into United thread and I have stated this more then once even this week that Barca humiliated United in 2011.

I have defended Barca in Past, even defended you when people questioned about your username. But, your arrogance is quite funny past while.

If you say 1 bad word against Barca you denounce it straight away.

Its the last I will say on matter, you can go off and talk jibberish about Barca all you like.

You seem a little rattled!

FWIW Barca are one the greatest sides of all time. I have enjoyed watching them even though they haunted us past few times in CL.

You only have to go into United thread and I have stated this more then once even this week that Barca humiliated United in 2011.

I have defended Barca in Past, even defended you when people questioned about your username. But, your arrogance is quite funny past while.

If you say 1 bad word against Barca you denounce it straight away.

Its the last I will say on matter, you can go off and talk jibberish about Barca all you like.

I've never been rattled, ever.

Anyway now that, that inevitable sideshow is over, back to talking about Spain's squad depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

G.K. wrote: »
    He missed out Navas too.

Joaquin would be an option for most international teams and he wouldn't make Spain's 5th team.

Joaquin would be an option for most international teams and he wouldn't make Spain's 5th team.

that is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Delofeu has not been metioned yet either, if he was English he'd have been capped by now. Tello is another one.

Borja Valero and Mikel Arteta too not mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement