Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail brothers learn "how to canvass" at tax-payers' expense

Options
  • 10-01-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Bohermore brothers Mike and Ollie Crowe, both Fianna Fail councillors, were learning "how to canvass" (i.e., get re-elected) at a conference in Dublin last weekend. And they expect the taxpayer to foot the bill for their presence at the three day conference.

From today's City Tribune ...

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2059-cllrs-learn-how-to-canvass-on-expenses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The saddest thing is I am not surprised. The biggest disease in Ireland today is apathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

108197pre_8fb06161ab4d773.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

A Feast For Crowes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is understood that as well as the two Galway City Councillors, about 20 other politicians from around the country attended.

Including the course fee, which goes to the organisers, and mileage and subsistence expenses, which goes to the attendee, the cost to the taxpayer of this conference per delegate, would be several hundred Euros.

That's not a lot. It would have been better if they just paid out of their own pocket, it's not like they're in the poor house.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

In fairness, Biko, I don't think the cost of the conference is the big issue here.

It's the sheer neck of these guys, thinking it's ok to go to a conference in Dublin, which is only about learning how to get re-elected, and then to pass the bill on to the tax-payer.

If they were discussing roads, or water, or housing estates, it might be different, but Canvassing Tips? Come on.

After all this country has been through since their party caused the economic collapse in 2008, it shows that the ordinary Fianna Fail councillors (and by extension, the people who vote for them) haven't learned a thing.

Remember this wonderful conference, how much benefit it brought to Galway, and who paid for it, when they call to your door looking for votes in May.

• Advertisement

Tbh I'm more embarrassed that we've sent Cllr P Conneely and various Council officials to Boston last week. All expenses paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Most of these conferences are a racket for councillors. I've been to many such conferences (all related to my work) and seen county councillors from all over the country registering in the morning, and gone by 12, even though the conference lasts all day. Then there's the mileage - supposed to cover genuine expenses, but when 3 or 4 councillors share a lift to a conference and then all claim mileage expenses that's taking the proverbial. Not saying that happened in this case, but it's a well-known scam...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

snubbleste wrote: »
    108197pre_8fb06161ab4d773.jpg
    never gets old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree strongly with Zzippy.

These conferences are a waste of time and money.

I am surprised that they are still going on.

Shameful

Taking a break from his taxpayer-funded trip to the US, where he represented you as an official guest at the inauguration ceremony of the new Boston mayor, Connemara’s own Marty Walsh, the Bould Conneely did a spot of shopping.
    And it was no ordinary shopping, as our photograph shows, with the outspoken FG Cllr clutching a bag from the popular designer outlet, Abercrombie and Fitch.
    http://connachttribune.ie/opinion/item/2062-nero-to-zero-mayor-shops-as-galway-floods

I could have written it meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Tbh I'm more embarrassed that we've sent Cllr P Conneely and various Council officials to Boston last week. All expenses paid.

I think this was a reasonable trip - a mayor of Boston from Connemara - chance of some tourism from that

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Agree 100% with nuac on this one. I'm no fan of Conneely's, but the election of the son of Connemara immigrants - a man who can speak more than cupla focail - was a hugely historic event and there was justification for the Mayor of Galway being there.

Presumably, representing the city at such a high profile event is exactly what a Mayor is elected for.

Having two Fianna Fail brothers head off to Dublin, at the tax-payers' expense, to learn how to get re-elected at a three day conference, on the other hand, shows that Ireland has not really emerged from the 'gombeen politics' years.

The fact that Mike Crowe doesn't even seem to accept that this is wrong, describing the conference as useful, shows we still have an awful long way to go until politics reaches a decent standard in this country.

Anyway, I'll give the Crowes canvassing tips of my own if they call to my door ahead of the local elections!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

they sent themselves and the fact we're doing nothing about it after the fa t means they'll do it again with not so much as a second thought going into it cos who's stopping them??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

they sent themselves and the fact we're doing nothing about it after the fa t means they'll do it again with not so much as a second thought going into it cos who's stopping them??

use your vote to stop them.

Eh, we the citizens of Galway sent them. They represent Galwegians - unfortunately.
    A huge % of the Boston region have Irish roots and therefore I cannot see the extra benefit that this trip would bring.

use your vote to stop them.

i'll be doing a lot more than that, why is it people are resigned to only being able to vote these leaches out??

if voting changed anything it would be taken away from us so fast!!

wake up and take no more bull$hit for politics!!

Eh, we the citizens of Galway sent them. They represent Galwegians - unfortunately.
    A huge % of the Boston region have Irish roots and therefore I cannot see the extra benefit that this trip would bring.

so what hand or part did you or anyone connected to you have to do with any of this debacle?

so what hand or part did you or anyone connected to you have to do with any of this debacle?
    Local elections 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Getting a bit ranty and conspiracy theory-esque here. Dial it down a small bit, le do thoil.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

i'll be doing a lot more than that, why is it people are resigned to only being able to vote these leaches out??

Oh do tell? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nuac wrote: »
    I think this was a reasonable trip - a mayor of Boston from Connemara - chance of some tourism from that

Ya .. but I'm still embarassed that we elected Cllr P Conneely.

It's not only the politicians who have not gotten over the gombeen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

which Brother owns all the houses that he rents to the local authority as corporation houses?

flynnlives wrote: »
    which Brother owns all the houses that he rents to the local authority as corporation houses?
    The one who is sick of trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Creepy Crowe-lies.

Oh do tell? :eek:

why do you want to know? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

why do you want to know? :confused:

Because it was such a cryptic and mesmerizing post I cant last another minute without knowing ...................or because you said you're gonna do much more which just sounds odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Keyboard warriors .......revolutionizing the world one anonymous virtual threat/rant at a time :rolleyes:

Because it was such a cryptic and mesmerizing post I cant last another minute without knowing ...................or because you said you're gonna do much more which just sounds odd!
    zarquon wrote: »
    Keyboard warriors .......revolutionizing the world one anonymous virtual threat/rant at a time :rolleyes:

nosey trolling feckers the lot of ye, i have attended and orchestrated manys a protest in different forms, none of which i will ever be discussing online with a bunch of trolling hoors,

if yer not interested in doing what ye can without having to publicise it then stop trolling people who are

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

wow, looks like we pissed of the Crows! SQUAWK! SQUAWK!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

renegademaster banned for 2 weeks

Everyone else, I ask you to remain civil even when it's really damn tempting not to be, report posts and we'll deal with them if they need dealing with

Advertisement