Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T8 or Atec Mod.

Options
  • 10-01-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Looking to get a mod for my .243 but don't know which one to get? Any help would be great. Is the price close between them and weight are my main concern really. I know the Atec is €300 new and isn't to heavy but never held the T8. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Erk wrote: »
    Looking to get a mod for my .243 but don't know which one to get? Any help would be great. Is the price close between them and weight are my main concern really. I know the Atec is €300 new and isn't to heavy but never held the T8. Thanks!

Atec maxim hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

I had a t8, felt like a brick. Look at sonic 45 or 35 if you can, might be a bit cheaper than atec, but very similar weight wise etc. The t8 was way heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

Atec Maxim or Sonic 45. Sonic is cheaper but a wee bit heavier(not much). The sonic 35 also good, but tends to heat up abit much if your range/rapid firing but is plenty good for the odd shot out hunting.

what I like about the sonic is that you just screw off the baffles(there are 6 of them) so you can have any from 1 up to 6 baffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

garv123 wrote: »
    Atec maxim hands down.

Hi Garv, is that based on noise reduction, recoil reduction, cost or weight or possibly a mix.
    Appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Cheers for the replys. Might look into them Sonic mods never heard of them until now. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

T8 I think is way to go. Comes with 10 years warranty many are unaware of, It may be heavy but its certainly top class at taking the complete bang out of any caliber center fire, they say but im not 100% sure but these aluminum mods are a good job but big rounds like 270 or greater does wear the aluminum mod internally if thats true or false as aluminum is a soft metal, if there is excessive use of coarse. T8 may rust a little through time but it will always perform the same as day one if treated with a quick spray of WD-40 after use. And ''IF'' your T8 mod causes any problems it can be sent back to the manufacture along with 60% of the purchased cost they will replace you with a new one. I'm 99% sure about that. Also T8 may be a little top heavy compared to other mods but it adds the least amount to your over all rifle length keeping your rifle compact. Now I wont knock A-Tec out they make good mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Atec maxim and sonic 45 are made of aluminium but have stainless steel inserts in the baffles to stop gas cutting so technically they'd be harder wearing than a t8 and a lot lighter, i had a t4 which is shorter and lighter than a t8 and i hated it, ruined the balance of the rifle for me, and because it was top heavy it used to wobble and slide all over the place when slung over my shoulder which was a nuisance when walking around so had to hold the sling the whole time to keep the rifle upright on my shoulder and i didmt want to sling it with the barrel down as it would get covered in ****e which isn't good for a mod made of mild steel, i have an atec cmm4 now which is all aluminium on my .243, only have about 40 shots throught it yet but zero sign of wear and baffles only cost €25 so if i had to buy 1 or two every year or two it wouldn't bother me as the mod is so light and dulls the sound of the shot good enough for me, i was going to get an atec maxim but my dealer hadn't got one at the time i was collecting my rifle and i wasn't willing to wait to get one in so went for the cmm4 as he had it in stock along with a few ase and wildcat mods and don't regret it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

ormondprop wrote: »
    Atec maxim and sonic 45 are made of aluminium but have stainless steel inserts in the baffles to stop gas cutting so technically they'd be harder wearing than a t8 and a lot lighter, i had a t4 which is shorter and lighter than a t8 and i hated it, ruined the balance of the rifle for me, and because it was top heavy it used to wobble and slide all over the place when slung over my shoulder which was a nuisance when walking around so had to hold the sling the whole time to keep the rifle upright on my shoulder and i didmt want to sling it with the barrel down as it would get covered in ****e which isn't good for a mod made of mild steel, i have an atec cmm4 now which is all aluminium on my .243, only have about 40 shots throught it yet but zero sign of wear and baffles only cost €25 so if i had to buy 1 or two every year or two it wouldn't bother me as the mod is so light and dulls the sound of the shot good enough for me, i was going to get an atec maxim but my dealer hadn't got one at the time i was collecting my rifle and i wasn't willing to wait to get one in so went for the cmm4 as he had it in stock along with a few ase and wildcat mods and don't regret it at all

Is that price of the atec cmm4 much different than the atec maxim and is it as light? Thanks!

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hi Garv, is that based on noise reduction, recoil reduction, cost or weight or possibly a mix.
    Appreciate the input.

Weight and balance, as ive never heard a t8 on a gun, only held it on a rifle. But the lads covered it above. The maxim does a serious job on a .308. The t8 seems old fashioned at this state because of its size and weight and if you dont keep it oiled it will rust.
    The cmm4 is lighter than the maxim by a lot again but atec warm it will wear out a lot faster if you use the rifle a lot for foxing, targets etc. but baffles arent too expensive. Its more made for the shooter who wouldn't fire a lot each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Where is the wildcat predator with all these guys.

• Advertisement

I used the maxim 6 and compared it to the T8. Both identical in performance as Maxim had 6 baffles but the maxim six was only a ''little'' lighter and added less my rifle felt better balanced with the maxim 6, its a little longer but has a lovely finish. Couldn't down fall it at all. You won't ware out a T8 for excess shooting if its minded with WD-40 and you have your 10 year guartee too which A-Tec don't provide but the only A-Tec i'd buy would be the Maxim 6, good build quality that will last. I like a mod that keeps a gun short as possible not long and awkward. Few grams won't kill me anyway. People are afraid of weight and recoil these days

forward this video to 3min30sec
    http://youtu.be/szMG0B1QH5c Its the T8 and cmm4 in action. Little difference but he liked the A-tec over the T8 but he did say he believes the T8 has better sound attenuation.

http://www.canadiantactical.ca/technical.html Bit of reading here, says ;
    High rates of fully automatic fire are the most difficult challenge for any suppressor. Excessive heat and pressure can both destroy the suppressor tube and baffles as well as the host rifle's barrel. The Reflex Suppressor is specifically designed and built to survive almost unlimited amounts of automatic fire. It is one of the only suppressors certified for use on belt fed weapons

Where is the wildcat predator with all these guys.
    They are a serious long mod, wouldn't have one to be honest.

Is that price of the atec cmm4 much different than the atec maxim and is it as light? Thanks!

The atec cmm4 weighs 220g and extends the barrel by 160mm while the maxim weighs 370g and extends the barrel by 155mm

Both cost in or around 280-320 depending on the dealer

Specs of other popular mods for comparison

Sonic 45 weighs 480g and extends the barrel by about 110mm

T8 weighs 640g and adds 98mm

Wildcat predator 8 weighs around 650g and adds 100mm

The t8 would definitely be bottom of my list if i was buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

have a t8 on my .243 cant believe the difference it was like a cannon before now its quieter than my .22 magnum with no mod...i spray well in wd.40 after each use to keep rust at bay...it is heavier than other mods but dont add much to barrel so u gotta take gud with the bad cant win always...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

4200fps wrote: »
    They are a serious long mod, wouldn't have one to be honest.

They slip down over the Barrel don't they.

They slip down over the Barrel don't they.
    They do sleeve down. I put one on the Tikka and it was fairly close against stock nearly. Covered most of barrel, They no good with out the 8 baffles but do same job. They are used alot on shooting ranges, I won't knock them at all but never was gone in them. Its the warranty you get with a T8 is what I like . Give dealer 160euro if it ever frigs up and you get a new one, Thats what David Mulvehill a local gun dealer told us and they only 270euro new if my memory is up to scratch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

And ''IF'' your T8 mod causes any problems it can be sent back to the manufacture along with 60% of the purchased cost they will replace you with a new one. I'm 99% sure about that.
    Its the warranty you get with a T8 is what I like . Give dealer 160euro if it ever frigs up and you get a new one, Thats what David Mulvehill a local gun dealer told us and they only 270euro new if my memory is up to scratch
    While i appreciate what you are saying that is not a warranty, it's a discount on a new one.

I mean what constitutes "problems" or "frigging up"? Rusting? Damage? unsatisfactory performance?

If the manufacturer says it's not a valid reason then you pay the full price for another mod (T8 or not). If they do, you now have the same mod that gave problems back again and the cycle continues. I think Ormondprop said it above that if the A-Tec has issues you can buy the parts and replace. So for the same €160 you could replace 60% of the mod. With no warranty.

I currently have the A-Tec maxim on the Sako. It's light, quiet, reflex, and effective. So ticks all the boxes. I've had Wildcat, Ase, T8, etc. and found them to be both great and lacking at the same time. So i don't "pip in" out of some sort of defend the A-Tec notion.

I've owned T8's and have one on the Remmy at the moment. They are a good mod in terms of noise reduction, but do take a lot of minding. They resonate when fired which is also annoying, but not a deal breaker. The length and weight is a put off too. I'm not going to get into a debate over which mod is best because there is no answer. Every mod has it's pros and cons, and frankly even if one were proven to be the best someone will disagree and i haven't the strength for such a discussion.

As a current owner of both, and for hunting purposes, quality, weight, price, performance i'd go with the A-Tec.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

iv the A TEC maxim 6 and top piece of kit.id recommend to anyone noise reduction is serious iv it on a 243 and takes the rattle completely out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

If weight is a concern then forget about the T8, imagine a full pint bottle on the end of your barrel.

Of the few mods I've tried I was most impressed by a CMM4, I had the use of a .30cal version on my .204 while waiting for a Spartan. Big pluses for weight and noise reduction. Only drawback was the added length, it made my 24" barrel very long and awkward to manoeuvre.

If your barrel isn't too long then a CMM4 would work fine. But so would a maxim or sonic or spartan. Anything other than a T8 or predator.

lefthooker wrote: »
    If weight is a concern then forget about the T8, imagine a full pint bottle on the end of your barrel.

Of the few mods I've tried I was most impressed by a CMM4, I had the use of a .30cal version on my .204 while waiting for a Spartan. Big pluses for weight and noise reduction. Only drawback was the added length, it made my 24" barrel very long and awkward to manoeuvre.

If your barrel isn't too long then a CMM4 would work fine. But so would a maxim or sonic or spartan. Anything other than a T8 or predator.
    I'd agree 100%. Thats why I'd choose T8, Also Atec maxim6 be similar and a excellent mod

• Advertisement

I'd agree 100%. Thats why I'd choose T8, Also Atec maxim6 be similar and a excellent mod

If you're picking the t8 you're not agreeing 100% :D

lefthooker wrote: »

Did you get the spartan and how do you find it? Was interested in them but never handles one or never heard of a dealer bringing them in and i emailed third eye about an irish distributor and the never replied so gave up on the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

ormondprop wrote: »
    Did you get the spartan and how do you find it? Was interested in them but never handles one or never heard of a dealer bringing them in and i emailed third eye about an irish distributor and the never replied so gave up on the idea

zadf.jpg
    Got mine from Dominic Byrne and got him to cerakote it satin black to match he barrel. It weighs in around 500g. There's a very solid build to it and it strips down easily. Tested it against the CMM4, could hardly differentiate between the two. But its smaller shorter and lighter than a T8 and doesn't have the tinny resonance. There's an internal muzzle break, don't know what effect it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 davediesel

I agree 100%

I'm agreeing that some don't want to add several inches to a rifle so I had to pick a mod like T8. Bit of extra weight doesn't bother me at all, thats all it is only abit. The Atec maxim6 is a top class mod similar in weight. I had a swift with 24 inch barrel and it was like carrying a telephone pole with a mod on it. Short and compact with top performance is all I look for. For 270 euro I'll get years out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

I have the Roedale,T8 Magnum among many others (wildcat etc)imo the T8 is very effective on noise especially 300 WM,I was looking to change recently & looked at a lot of the light mods.The only mod I would replace the T8 with is a Lawrence precision.Titanium build, unfortunately he does not export to ROI.The point being they all have good & bad points,even the Hardy Mod was supposed to be the best of the new Mods.Getting bad press on some of the forums i have read.Have yet to read anything but praise for the Lawrence Precision.

Advertisement