Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon website tracking

Options
  • 10-01-2014 7:30pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm really not too sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this question but here goes.

So I use firefox26 as my web browser, on a mac (maybe that's relevant), and today I was browsing amazon uk when I noticed something a little bit odd..in my "recently viewed" it had a product that I had never viewed on amazon (an sd card) but I had viewed it on "mymemory.co.uk"

Out of curiosity I went and viewed a random item on amazon to push it to the top of the recently viewed list and then opened mymemory in a new tab and viewed the sd card, boom - it's back to the top of my recently viewed list on amazon.

As I have Firefox setup to "tell sites that I do not want to be tracked" I'm curious as to how this is happening? would anyone be able to educate me a little on the matter?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you have some extension that checks prices across multiple sites? That could explain it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tried this myself except on Chrome and it doesn't happen for me. I tried it with a bunch of SD cards too. Tracking is enabled on Chrome for me as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do you have some extension that checks prices across multiple sites? That could explain it.

That's probably it! I have invisible hand installed, I'll disable it and report back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yup, that was exactly it AlmightyCushion! thanks for a pretty damn quick resolution to this curiosity :D

Advertisement