Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of Liver in a butchers?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I bought some liver recently, not for the first time but am curious to know what animal it is from. I'd imagine there is just one type sold in most butchers as every butchers I was in just had one tray labelled Liver.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Probably lamb's liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably Lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It didn't say? Weird, but it's probably lamb.

Ask the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Could be calves' liver either.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

It was lambs liver unless labeled otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It was lambs liver unless labeled otherwise.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Usually lambs(cos that's what people expect), could be calf (but not huge amounts of veal handled by local butchers ), unlikely to be pork because it gets strong very quickly... Nice on day of slaughter, not so great the day after...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dredge it in seasoned flour & quickly fry it in butter on a hot pan.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Lamb liver will smell slightly of sheep, not offensively so, just enough for you to identify it as such. Beef liver has a more obvious "beefier" smell and pig liver is mottled, rather than uniformly dark brown.

It's all delicious though! I can appreciate why some people don't like the taste or texture but I love it. I don't think there is any middle ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Calves is the nicest imo, steeped in milk overnight, dried and floured and cooked medium in butter and parsley, yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Depends on what you're doing with it of course .. for a nice piece of thinly sliced flash pan fried liver, then lambs or calves, but if I'm making a liver and bacon casserole then pigs liver all the way, or beef liver if I can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What's the soaking in milk thing about ? I remember doing it but not why ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's the soaking in milk thing about ? I remember doing it but not why ?

It removes bitterness/strong flavour doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

dee_mc wrote: »
    It removes bitterness/strong flavour doesn't it?

And any residual blood, you usually do it with most offal

Advertisement