Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Wednesday 12th Feb

a.m. 6.5 miles very ez. Ran the first couple of miles with Paddy the Kenyan. Very windy. PtK headed off into the wind to do a session and I plodded on. Felt pretty tired from the previous day’s triple.

p.m. Planned to do another 6.5 but life and the wind conspired to make it impossible/easier to rest up etc. Good decision. Got to be honest here, the triple took a bit more out of me than I thought it would – in a good way. I don’t think it was the triple per se or the miles, rather I think the LT on top of the AT probably whacked me – that was the idea.

AIS before and after run.

(6.5)

Thursday 13th Feb

a.m. 9 miles ez – at least I think it was – with Paddy the Kenyan. He took me all over Tralee and showed me some more decent routes. Felt much better than yesterday – fully recovered. Bit concerned about PtK – he’s starting to think he’s Steve Ovett…hmmm.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Legs felt fine. Considered doing some strides but with tomorrow’s triple I decided to hold back and drop them in tomorrow. This morning I wasn’t sure about doing the triple but now I think I will, especially as it’s not a compound workout day.

AIS before and after both runs.

(15)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Stazza and I have been working to develop the training plan for March/April leading up to my peak half-marathon on May 3rd, so I figured I'd give an update and post my fancy color-coded chart.
    Here's what I've done in the past two weeks: 2 x 20, 4M tempo + 10x45s hills, 4 x 10, and 5M tempo + 10x60s hills. There was also a subpar 10K race on a windy day in there, but I'm not too worried about that.

Mileage has been 85-95 for the past 7 weeks. I feel very healthy - we've struck a good balance in terms of the mileage / workout volume, time spent stretching / foam rolling, getting enough sleep, etc. I think I could take it up 15-20 mpw right now w/ no problem, but I don't see the point at the moment. Instead, on higher volume weeks, I'm sometimes taking Sunday off to go skiing (or making Sunday a very light day). Instead of running an extra 3 miles per day, I'm spending that time doing some ancillary work (balance/GSM).

We're not too concerned about the specifics on the long runs for the time being... the main goal is to get 17-20 miles w/ some AT/quality component, depending on how I'm feeling. If it just end up being an easy paced long run, that's OK too. When I transition back to marathon mode, these runs will obviously become a lot more important... but for now they don't have to be very specific.

I feel really good at the moment. On the upswing, fitness starting to build as the sessions start to stack up...

Springv3.png

Friday 14th Feb

6:00 a.m. 5 miles ez in the wind and rain. Pretty tired, so after the kids were shipped off to school I hit the scratcher and got a cheeky 2hr nap. And, I missed all the heavy rain.

12:02 p.m. 6.5 miles incl approximately 10 mins @ LT, 2 min jog, 8 mins @ LT. First effort was predominantly uphill (shallow) and the second effort was slightly downhill. Felt sluggish on the first effort; recovered quickly and then felt good on the second effort.

7:00 p.m. 6.5 miles ez. Felt fine. Nice ez recovery run.

AIS before and after all runs, except for final run: had to eat so just did some quick static stretching.

(18)

Saturday 15th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez. Everything felt tickety-boo after yesterday’s triple. Little-no fatigue.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Good bit of pep in the legs, which is great at the end of another decent(ish) week. Next week, I’ll re-introduce the functional strength work and the strides.

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

Week’s summary:
    100 miles – give or take a few yards. 2 singles; 3 doubles; 2 triples.
    I session at AT.
    2 sessions in and around LT.
    Pleased with how things are progressing.

The wife ran in the Tralee 10 miler today – happy that she’d run a pb; annoyed when she found out course was well short:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

How short was your wifes race Stazza ?

• Advertisement

How short was your wifes race Stazza ?

In the first mile, the leaders went the wrong way and everybody followed - not sure how far they cut off the course but the Garmins were measuring between 9.82 and 9.90. Not sure how that translates - maybe worth 40-60 secs. I've told her she cannot count it as a pb:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ouch.

That's really unfortunate. My first ever race was a 5 miler short about 300 metres as it turned out due to the start line being put in the wrong place. Still kept the time as my PB though :D but if it happened now I would be gutted.

Sunday 16th Feb

a.m. 15 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. Struggled from the off. Legs felt heavy and I was wishing away the run. To make matters worse, in the last mile I went into labour. PtK wasn’t too sympathetic – he kept talking about bathrooms and toilets. The waves of pain came fast and furious. He was telling me how he went into labour once and had to stop at the Fenit public facilities – not very nice. But I explained that the Fenit facilities were palatial compared to some of the squat and drops I’ve used in Africa, especially those of The Spice Island, Zanzibar. And on that note…

(15)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Stazza wrote: »
    Haha – love the, honestly now:D.

When I stopped running in 2000 I had an injury that I couldn’t sort, so I jacked it in. I had a problem with my left medial collateral ligament (MCL). When I started back, just over two years ago, it flared up again and I found that it took 2-3 miles before I could get going faster than 10 min pace. So I tried Ger Hartmann’s Hope on a Rope routine. Within 3 days it worked. Niggle gone and I could run straight from the door. I’ve since added a few extra ‘moves’ to the routine – due to a neural problem I picked-up from doing Magness’ hill circuits. These extra ‘moves’ are simple but extremely effective.

I do my AIS routine before every run, pretty much without fail. There has been the odd occasion when I haven’t had time – I normally do some quick dynamic stretching when this happens.

Same applies after runs – pretty much all the time. That said, if my dinner’s nearly ready or if I’m in a rush, I’ll do some quick static stretching.

The AIS routine takes 10 mins. I’d suggest starting with Hope on a Rope and then if you ‘look-up’ AIS you’ll find more exercises and select the ones you think might be appropriate. But the key is to do them properly. Sometimes it’s easy to rush and then you’re wasting your time. You need to think about what you are doing. Don’t fire through them. Here’s what I think is the most important part of what Hartmann says:

The stretch is repeated eight to 12 times for optimal results. The benefit of repetitions is to increase blood flow oxygen, and nutrition to the muscle tissues. In effect, AIS is a warm-up in itself.

Apart from the three-second limit, AIS is unique in that it uses the neuromuscular system via 'reciprocal innervation' and 'reciprocal inhibition' to maximize the stretch. In simple terms, when you do the hamstring stretch (Stretch No 2), the front of the thigh (quadriceps) lifts up the leg (reciprocal innervation). The quad as prime mover is activated, thus rendering the hamstring (its opposite) relaxed (reciprocal inhibition).

Therefore, the muscle you wish to stretch, the hamstring, is relaxed - and muscles stretch best when relaxed. By utilizing the prime mover, or opposing muscle group, you invoke the neuromuscular pathway to assist the stretch.

Secondly, while continuing the contraction, you use a rope to gently enhance the stretch. The important term here is to stretch gently and regularly; the cardinal rule of stretching remains unchanged: never force yourself beyond the point of light discomfort.

Phil Wharton is great on AIS too; here’s another cheeky little routine for you.

I guarantee, it'll make a difference - for the good...

Thanks for posting the info on AIS... will try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

7 pages in and you have helped me already.

What's this system?

• Advertisement

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    7 pages in and you have helped me already.

What's this system?

Sorry, do you mean 7 pages in and I haven't helped you? Or have I?

If I have, then I'm pleased to have helped . Although, all I've really done so far is record my training and Jake's schedule. I'm just getting round to explaining the nuts and bolts of Jake's schedule. Once I get Jake's stuff done and dusted then I'll start to outline some ideas and principles that underpin my philosophy when it comes to training.

If there's anything specific you want help with/my thoughts on then drop me a pm and if I can, I'll be happy to help.

Sorry, do you mean 7 pages in and I haven't helped you? Or have I?

If I have, then I'm pleased to have helped . Although, all I've really done so far is record my training and Jake's schedule. I'm just getting round to explaining the nuts and bolts of Jake's schedule. Once I get Jake's stuff done and dusted then I'll start to outline some ideas and principles that underpin my philosophy when it comes to training.

If there's anything specific you want help with/my thoughts on then drop me a pm and if I can, I'll be happy to help.

You have because you will.

The best thing I have changed was to start running doubles most days, run by feel and forget the watch. I'm at a base of 70 miles at the moment with an easy week every three weeks. At the end of the easy week I run a 5k or 10k. I do two LT, 1-2 progressive runs and 3 recovery run rest are easy. I love running I'm 32 and only running 16 months and want to have a long term goal to get 2:xx marathon. Past my bed time 5:30am run night night! Keep it real!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    You have because you will.

The best thing I have changed was to start running doubles most days, run by feel and forget the watch. I'm at a base of 70 miles at the moment with an easy week every three weeks. At the end of the easy week I run a 5k or 10k. I do two LT, 1-2 progressive runs and 3 recovery run rest are easy. I love running I'm 32 and only running 16 months and want to have a long term goal to get 2:xx marathon. Past my bed time 5:30am run night night! Keep it real!

Thanks very much. Just read your Lakes 10k report - great stuff.

Great that you're running by feel and easy on the easy days. Just be careful that you're not overdoing it with the 2 LT's and the progression runs. When are you hoping to run 2:xx?

Thanks very much. Just read your Lakes 10k report - great stuff.

Great that you're running by feel and easy on the easy days. Just be careful that you're not overdoing it with the 2 LT's and the progression runs. When are you hoping to run 2:xx?

Cheers!

I'm playing how low can I go! I'm thinking over 4-6 years then I'll be 36-38. The dream is sub 2:10! My plan is to train to run the pace over 5,10,15k and bring it right up to the 26.2 using the half and 20 milers first!

I hope to hold 5:30 pace over 5k soon and keep bringing it down until I can do it easily over 10k before moving on.

jakek wrote: »
    Stazza and I have been working to develop the training plan for March/April leading up to my peak half-marathon on May 3rd, so I figured I'd give an update and post my fancy color-coded chart.
    Here's what I've done in the past two weeks: 2 x 20, 4M tempo + 10x45s hills, 4 x 10, and 5M tempo + 10x60s hills. There was also a subpar 10K race on a windy day in there, but I'm not too worried about that.

Mileage has been 85-95 for the past 7 weeks. I feel very healthy - we've struck a good balance in terms of the mileage / workout volume, time spent stretching / foam rolling, getting enough sleep, etc. I think I could take it up 15-20 mpw right now w/ no problem, but I don't see the point at the moment. Instead, on higher volume weeks, I'm sometimes taking Sunday off to go skiing (or making Sunday a very light day). Instead of running an extra 3 miles per day, I'm spending that time doing some ancillary work (balance/GSM).

We're not too concerned about the specifics on the long runs for the time being... the main goal is to get 17-20 miles w/ some AT/quality component, depending on how I'm feeling. If it just end up being an easy paced long run, that's OK too. When I transition back to marathon mode, these runs will obviously become a lot more important... but for now they don't have to be very specific.

I feel really good at the moment. On the upswing, fitness starting to build as the sessions start to stack up...

Springv3.png

Just wanted to explain some of the rationale behind the sessions I’ve set out for Jake.

Since starting back after the California Marathon he’s slowly but surely getting back into good shape. His altitude LT is now 5:06ish pace and he’s coping with the new way of running: by feel. The watch is working in the background and it just goes to show how in tune he is with his body: by running off effort/feel he’s actually hitting the right paces.

This week is, however, an important week. Hopefully the AT work, the LT sessions and the hills – especially his most recent hill session – will kick in and help him naturally increase his LT pace. Tomorrow’s session of 3x8 mins will be a good indicator. I’m hoping that his LT pace will drop down to 5 min pace, which is in and around his HM race pace at sea level. And if it does, the added bonus is that his LT pace is at altitude!

Now, of course 3x8 mins off 3 mins doesn’t mean that this will be his HM pace, more likely his 10k pace. But as he rebounds out, the idea is that he’ll hold that pace (off effort/feel) and it will become his new LT/HM pace. This is where all the background work pays dividends.

The second session this week – 12 mins/9mins/6mins/3mins ~ LT/10k/5k breakdowns should help to prise out his LT pace from his 10k and 5k paces. And this weekend’s Salt Lake City 15k should act as the cement to mortise the interstices between the different paces.

The idea then will be to substantiate this new platform as he builds back up to 2x20mins off 2 mins.

From this new platform (week commencing 17th Mar), he’ll be able to isolate the different paces and by working by feel/effort improve them through Lactate shuffle work and multi-pace training.

The multi-pace sessions will be the first session of the week, working up from 1500m pace-3k pace-5kpace and the second session will be the Lactate Shuffles. Multi-pace sessions in these ranges are unusual for marathon runners but Jake needs to work on these to improve all of his paces from 5k through marathon.

The Lactate Shuffle sessions work like this:

5x (8 mins on - 10k effort -, 1 min jog , 1 min on -5k effort) 3 min jog.
    8x (5mins on – 10k effort -, 1 min jog – 1 min on – 5k effort) 3 min jog.

He’ll maintain his long runs 17-20 with an AT component.

This will bring him up to the USA 10 mile champs. After the USA 10 mile Champs, he’ll do another breakthrough session:

10x(3 mins on – 10k effort -, 1 min jog, 1 min on – 5k effort) 3 mins off. After this session, he’ll rebound out and back up, carrying a new pace based on feel. He’ll also do another block of multi-pace training to help him hold/sustain his new LT pace until the Indy half, where he’ll run a decent pb.

The idea behind the LT shuffle sessions is that the first and longer rep produces manageable amounts of lactate that the body shuffles back into the system and utilizes during the harder and shorter effort which produces more lactate. The body learns to shuffle the larger amounts of lactate and use it again – the 3 mins b/ween sets facilitates this. If the effort is managed correctly – these are powerful sessions to help make breakthroughs etc.

Thanks for explaining everything so clearly.

I'm starting to feel the fitness improve. Saturday's long run was 18 miles on a very hilly route for the first 15 miles and then the last 5K on the track at marathon pace. Today I did the 3 x 8 minute session. Averaged ~4:56 pace until the last couple minutes, where I dropped it down a bit quicker. As expected, the 8 minute efforts were quite a bit faster. I think part of the benefit of starting w/ 2x20 is that when you get down to 8 minute reps, it feels easy to "only" be running fast for that long.

The next two weeks will be interesting... I've got 3 more workouts, then a half-marathon race which will serve as a nice fitness benchmark. I'm not certain who is running and how competitive it will be - it might turn out to be something of a time trial. That would be OK by me, as I'm more likely to run at the proper effort level that way.

Monday 17th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. Bamboozled PtK with my Garmineque skills: was able to tell within a few seconds how fast we were moving – not very. Felt worse than Sunday. Had a sneaking suspicion that the auld machine was fighting off some bug. Suspicion confirmed. Didn’t go out for a second run. Opted to play it safe.

(8)

Tuesday 18th Feb

Although I didn’t feel too bad, my RHR was up so I decided to take the day off and let the body fight off the nasty – seems to have worked. Will be back out there tomorrow.

(0)

There's a wee drop of snow headed for Utah, so I've suggested a different second session for Jake ~ it's a cheeky little knee wobbler:

3x (10 min LT ~ 2 min jog ~ 3x60 sec hill reps off jog down rec) 3 min jog rec b/ween sets.

This is a great session. The last set of hills will be tough but that's where the real benefit comes in. The progression for these is to increase the LT segment to 13-12-10 and then 15-15-10, but keep the hills the same. What we're trying to do here is to work at LT and then pour in a good helping of lactate with the added benefits that comes from the hills. This will force the system to pick up the lactate and utilise it. Another way of developing this workout or attacking it from a different direction is to do this:

10 min @ LT ~ 2 min jog rec ~ 3x60 sec hills off jog down rec ~ 2 min jog rec ~ 3x400m off 2 min jog rec. The progression here depends on the individual. Increase the sets/increase the LT segment/ increase the hills or the 400's or both.

Will he go with with the LT and hills or the 12/9/6/3 Lt~10k~5k breakdown? The excitement's killing me...

There's a wee drop of snow headed for Utah, so I've suggested a different second session for Jake ~ it's a cheeky little knee wobbler:

3x (10 min LT ~ 2 min jog ~ 3x60 sec hill reps off jog down rec) 3 min jog rec b/ween sets.

Luckily I beat the storm and got the 12-9-6-3 workout done... before I even checked my email and saw Plan B! That is another nice twist to these kinds of workouts. Something to keep in the memory bank for down the road.

Wednesday 19th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez. Normalcy returns. Felt great. Nice bit of pep in the legs. The auld body seems to have battled off whatever nasty bug was trying to bring me down. I think I might drop in a scheduled day off once every three weeks – just to recharge the batteries.

p.m. 6 miles steady. Legs wanted to go, so I let them. Nice relaxed run in the rain.

A.I.S. before and after both runs.

(14)

Myrtl routine after morning run and lunge matrix before evening run.

A few people seem to be having problems with their lower limbs and hips and butts. More often than not the runner goes straight to where the pain is and rolls away like a baker on speed. When this doesn’t work, they head to the salubrious surrounds of the expert. They pay a hefty wedge and the expert sorts them out.

But here’s a wee secret, if you do AIS (oh here he goes again, I hear you cry) ah but not the stuff I’ve linked in so far, but this, you’ll find that you’ll prevent many problems. The reason why is because most problems stem from what happens when the foot hits the ground, thereafter the kinetic chain takes over.

The experts are great at working out the mysterious wonders of the kinetic chain and what they didn’t see happen and even better still, they use their mystical powers to sort everything out and utter chants like, ‘Oh, your QL is impeding your deltoid ligament (stop feeling your shoulder – your deltoid ligament isn't where you think it is) you’ll need to come and see me twice a week for two months so we can rebalance your musculoskeletal system; will you be paying with cash?’

Here’s another wee secret, Time and the body assist in the healing process, a good wee bit too; guess what, you’re going to like this: costs nothing. But if you want to save yourself some wonga and heartache, do the routine once or twice a week. Makes sense to look after your feet – doesn’t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very interesting link Stazza, thanks. So you think twice a week is enough for a programme like this to be effective? I've noticed you do AIS before and after every run, how long would you say this takes you, ten minutes a go? My problem is trying to find the time to fit it in before and after each run, time is usually not on my side and the first thing to go is the flexibility work!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Very interesting link Stazza, thanks. So you think twice a week is enough for a programme like this to be effective? I've noticed you do AIS before and after every run, how long would you say this takes you, ten minutes a go? My problem is trying to find the time to fit it in before and after each run, time is usually not on my side and the first thing to go is the flexibility work!

For that routine, once or twice a week will be effective. I only do it once or twice a week.

I'm ok for time so it's not a problem for me but I know what you mean about time. If you can manage a 5-10 min leg routine before most runs you'll see the benefits, especially now that you're having hammy problems. If you can't manage this, try to get it in at some point during the day. If that's not possible, try and at least do it on the weekends and before workouts (reps/hills). A quick 1-2 min static stretch after runs - even in the shower - will help too.

Very interesting this came up because this type of stretching saved me. I was plagued with issues toe to head. I have a routine I do in the sauna which you call AIS and it really helps! Golf balls at my desk at work for my foot care! I also have a mat in work I sometimes can use up to 3 times a day when on high load. I don't use the foam roller any more since I started using yoga and active stretch. I haven't been to a money grabber I mean physio since last year.

Thursday 20th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez. Pretty tired. With the Mid-Term Break, I’m having to get my morning run in before the wife heads off to wherever it is that she goes in the day.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. First three were hard work into the wind but then the next three were a breeze. For tomorrow, there’ll be something a bit tastier on the menu.

AIS before and after both runs + some fiddling and trigger pointing of my right soleus.

(14)

Friday 21st Feb

a.m. 13 miles with 7 @ AT. Planned on doing 10 miles @ AT but my right soleus was giving out to me and when I went up a steep hill around the 6.5 mark I decided that I’d call it a day once I hit the 7 mile point. Aerobically, the pace was on the button and I could’ve easily managed the 10 but given what’s ahead I didn’t want to overdo it.

Since starting back in January, I’ve tried to manage the tightness in my soleus but today I knew I’d have to fork out to get it stripped etc. So, I made the call to make an appointment and got a text message back later telling me 100 Euro. I sent a text back saying that I’d give it a miss.

Is it me or is 100 Euro a tad steep for what would amount to about 20 mins of massage? Any longer would be over-treating and would probably make matters worse. I’ve got to say, I’m in a state of shock – 100 Euro just seems like lunacy.

AIS before and after the run.

(13)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Seems incredibly dear to me, it is basically just sports massage? The guy I go to charges €35 a session and that usually lasts about 45 mins to 1 hour.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Seems incredibly dear to me, it is basically just sports massage? The guy I go to charges €35 a session and that usually lasts about 45 mins to 1 hour.

Now that seems about right. I'd be happy to pay that and go back once a fortnight/3 weeks for maintenance work etc. But 100 quid is taking the proverbial.

If there's anybody in Tralee/near Tralee that does half decent sports massage and wants regular bucks - I'll pay in advance - contact me (if the price is right).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

I’m having to get my morning run in before the wife heads off to wherever it is that she goes in the day.

Some funny comments here. I like this one.

Stazza, a question for you. When you're in a tough session or a race, do you concentrate on running (pace, stride, breathing, arms, whatever) or do you try to disengage and 'switch off'? Same question for Jake there, if you don't mind answering.

I've been told the Charlie Spedding book is good in this area. Must look to purchase this.

Itziger wrote: »
    I’m having to get my morning run in before the wife heads off to wherever it is that she goes in the day.

Some funny comments here. I like this one.

Stazza, a question for you. When you're in a tough session or a race, do you concentrate on running (pace, stride, breathing, arms, whatever) or do you try to disengage and 'switch off'? Same question for Jake there, if you don't mind answering.

I've been told the Charlie Spedding book is good in this area. Must look to purchase this.

I'm not sure what Jake thinks but he's more of a long distance wuss -whereas I'm a perfect fighting machine that thrives in the cauldron of pain:D

Oooh, that’s a great question on so many levels. After a bit of time to think about it, I realised that it really comes down to my philosophy on training and racing. I’m not the sort that races for the sake of it or for the social thing etc. For me, racing needs to serve a purpose. And by that I mean that I’d set out a goal for the year and work back from there. So, apart from the main one or two races, the others would be there to help me get into peak performance, especially now that I’m older and don’t recover so well etc.

To answer the question directly, for hard workouts it depends on the type of workout and where I am in my build up. If it’s in the early stages of training, say something like today where I did 7 miles at AT, I’d be thinking about rhythm and form and making sure that I wasn’t working too hard. I’d also be trying to stop my mind from going off on a jolly. I’d be tuning into how my body feels – like my soleus etc. If it were a LT workout, I’d be concentrating hard on relaxing and thinking about form – not clenching fists, not letting the arms cross the mid-line etc-, I’d also be working on that floating feeling where ground contact is minimal and cadence is zippy. Again, I’d be making sure not to cross over the Threshold – listening to the body etc.

On harder workouts like reps (4x1 mile) it’s more about balancing feel with pace. I’ll be checking the watch for splits etc and either easing back slightly or picking it up a bit. Again, form is very important – I’d be trying to run relaxed etc and I’d imagine on a session of 4x1 mile that I were in a 5k race. The first 2 reps are pretty straightforward. The last two are where the hard core hurt comes in to play. I normally find that from about 800m out on the third rep, I’m working hard. I try hard to focus on form and then in the last 100m or so I dig in hard and imagine I’m dropping Jake. The last rep I try to get to 800m without having to dig in and then from here on in it’s war. I’m on my knees when I finish.

When it comes to racing it depends on the race. I’ve only done two races since I started back two and bit years ago – a 5k and a 10k. If I’m up at the front, which I was in both of them, it’s about staying relaxed and working out a strategy based on what’s going on etc. If it’s more about eyeballs out and hanging on for a time/position, it’s more like the sessions: form, effort and pace etc.

Something that I noticed the other weekend when I was doing the Killarney 5k with my daughter – it was an out and back course – was that the leaders seemed to be hurting more than those behind. The first 4-5 were really working, but as you went further back people seemed to be working less. To some extent, I think this comes down to the ability to cope with pain – and imho, this stems from training etc. I know that if I were to race tomorrow, I wouldn’t be capable of working that hard and yet, when it gets to the summer and I’m racing, it’s eyeballs out. To quote the legendary running Terminator and orthopedic surgeon, Doc P, it’s all about destroying the people you are racing – it’s about terminating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thanks for responding in such depth. I have a bit of a session planned for tomorrow…. I'll pretend I'm dropping Jake (!) with 2 or 3 k to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement