Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

:D
    Stazza wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Jake thinks but he's more of a long distance wuss -whereas I'm a perfect fighting machine that thrives in the cauldron of pain:D

Ouch!

Its a good question, and I don't know if I have a precise answer... on the longer tempo runs, I'm just focused on staying smooth and relaxed... zoning out sometimes. For LT type work, I'm thinking more about my form, cadence, breathing, perceived effort. In some of my better races, I can't remember what was occupying my thoughts at the time... having people around you (or to chase) really helps... you have to convince yourself that everyone around you kills puppies for a living, and you need to put them in their place!

I'm going to have to come back to this at some point... the psychological component of great racing is really important. The best athletes have mastered this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

jakek wrote: »
    :D
    ... you have to convince yourself that everyone around you kills puppies for a living, and you need to put them in their place!

I'm using that one :D. I'm never going to be beaten by one of those God damn puppy killers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm using that one :D. I'm never going to be beaten by one of those God damn puppy killers again.

I might just struggle to use that convincingly, but is there anything better than aiming for people in front of you and catching them? In a slightly more humble level than you or Jake, I had a 13k trail run recently where I started fairly conservatively and once we settled down not one of those puppy-killers passed me in about 11k. I picked off about 20. Sweet as hell it was.

Not quite in your DCM league where you passed a few thousand in the second half!

not clenching fists, not letting the arms cross the mid-line etc-, I’d also be working on that floating feeling where ground contact is minimal and cadence is zippy.

Interesting post Stazza. I got the advice about the clenched fists before and found it a great one. Really makes a big difference when you're pushing hard.

When you say not letting the arms cross the mid-line, are you talking about the vertical or the horizontal? I've never really had much issues keeping the arms up. There's not too much meat on them to be honest but there might be a bit of excessive lateral movement. I've thought before that this might be an issue but I'm reluctant to change my natural gait unless very necessary.

Itziger wrote: »
    I might just struggle to use that convincingly, but is there anything better than aiming for people in front of you and catching them? In a slightly more humble level than you or Jake, I had a 13k trail run recently where I started fairly conservatively and once we settled down not one of those puppy-killers passed me in about 11k. I picked off about 20. Sweet as hell it was.

Not quite in your DCM league where you passed a few thousand in the second half!

I really like Stazza and Jake's advice on this one. Just try and concentrate on anything but the pain and probably the easiest things to concentrate on are your form and the runners around you. If you find yourself in a group then just make a determination to win the group. I do like making up some fallacious grudges against the runners around me. At lease I hope they're not true because if they are then there are a lot of sick, sick runners out there:D.

Of course if they're from Raheny or Clonliffe, then that's motivation enough. You can't beat a bit of local rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great question and great answers.

I often find myself clenching my fist during races/hard sessions. It's interesting that you bought it up. Do you always try run with arms at waist level or above? The opinion seems rather split on that based on what I have read/heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

When you say not letting the arms cross the mid-line, are you talking about the vertical or the horizontal? I've never really had much issues keeping the arms up. There's not too much meat on them to be honest but there might be a bit of excessive lateral movement. I've thought before that this might be an issue but I'm reluctant to change my natural gait unless very necessary.

It's more about feeling a good rhythm: what I notice is that when I'm getting tired my shoulders/neck start to ache and then I know that I need to relax. That's when I start to tune into the basics like trying to control any excessive lateral movement and wasting energy by moving up rather than forward - if the horizon's bobbing, that's not good; as much as possible, everything should be moving forward. Watch runners near the end of a 10k + race and you'll see energy being wasted all over the place.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great question and great answers.

I often find myself clenching my fist during races/hard sessions. It's interesting that you bought it up. Do you always try run with arms at waist level or above? The opinion seems rather split on that based on what I have read/heard.

Since I saw Kipsang running, I've started thinking more about keeping my arms just above waist level and not lifting them too high but then look at the little Ethiopian fella (can't spell his name :confused:).

As much as possible, I think it's better to run naturally so long as you're not wasting too much energy and this normally occurs when you're tired/fighting the pain. You'll find clenching your fists makes everything tighten and impacts on fluency and running economy - slower. But then, everybody's different. I think we just have to find what suits us best as individuals. But it is worth thinking about. I suppose what you're really after is that floating feeling and trying to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

... you have to convince yourself that everyone around you kills puppies for a living, and you need to put them in their place!

Or a slight modification:
    Convince yourself that you're a puppy killer ... surrounded by puppies :D

Interesting that the topic of arm motion came up. It has also been the main topic on the Gait Guys blog this week. Their site is worth a browse.

If you watch very efficient runners, there is very little wasted side to side motion in the upper body. Everything is moving forward and not crossing the sagittal plane. I'm working on this... I'm not bad, but there is room for improvement. My high school coach used to tell us to keep our hand moving "pocket to mouth"... you aren't necessarily bringing them up that high in longer distance running, but I think that's something worth keeping in the back of your head.

Andrea tells me that in a lot of cases, excessive arm motion is compensation for imbalances elsewhere.

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    Or a slight modification:
    Convince yourself that you're a puppy killer ... surrounded by puppies :D

Now that's a real winner's attitude - I'm liking that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

The fear of loosing should be enough! Or the humility of failure.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    The fear of loosing should be enough! Or the humility of failure.

So are we saying that everyone who posts on here wins all their races? If there are any who don't, that is to say they 'lose' (note old-fashioned spelling), then they are humiliated.

Strange world you inhabit. I lose every time I race. I don't fear it and I don't feel humiliated.

Have you any experience of this losing game?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Itziger wrote: »
    So are we saying that everyone who posts on here wins all their races? If there are any who don't, that is to say they 'lose' (note old-fashioned spelling), then they are humiliated.

Strange world you inhabit. I lose every time I race. I don't fear it and I don't feel humiliated.

Have you any experience of this losing game?

No let me explain. Winning doesn't mean placing 1st! We all set targets sometimes we win sometimes we loose.

Ok, different interpretation. I agree that every time I run, I try to do the best I can.

Saturday 22nd Feb

a.m. 4.5 miles incl 5k with my eldest daughter at the Killarney 5k series. Although she’s only 11 and hasn’t done any running since September 2013 (growth spurts and all that nonsense), she won the under 14 award for the race series – 2 out of 3 races. I’m not sure if there was anybody else in her age category but she enjoyed it anyway. Problem is, she won a voucher for 30 Euro, which I had to buy for 50 and because she got 50, the younger one had to get 50 too – skint now.

Didn’t do an evening run as massage booked for Sunday pm – want to give the old soleus every chance before starting back next week.

AIS before run, static stretching after.
    (4.5+)

Sunday 23 rd Feb

a.m. No run today because of pm massage – soleus is feeling much better just from a little rest, so all should be fine and dan-day after massage and a few easy days.

But I did go out on the wife’s 5 speed mountain bike. The plan was to pace Paddy the Kenyan on the Tralee course. He was meant to do 16 miles @ 97% of mp progressing to 103% (2 wu/2cd). What a nightmare. The tires were flat, and then with the wind and the rain and the hail and the hills – couldn’t keep up with him. Slog fest. Poor lad, when we got 12 miles into the session (14 into the run), I told him he was doing an extra 2 miles -18 for the session; 22 in total (always in the plan – just wanted to make sure he was in good form etc). He flew round. Final 7 miles progressed from 100% MP to 105% MP - AVP 98.5% of MP for 18 miles. And that was in some savage headwind and hail. The boy’s ready to hammer his pb…

Summary of the week

68/69 miles. Bit of a recovery week - not planned that way just how it worked out. Although it hasn't been a great week, I'm happy enough as the 7 @ AT felt good and things are coming along. Hopefully the soleus should be sorted going into next week and then I can start some much more structured stuff - track and hills and progressive LT work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Problem is, she won a voucher for 30 Euro, which I had to buy for 50 and because she got 50, the younger one had to get 50 too – skint now.
    Good to see your girls are well in tune with the financial markets ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good to see your girls are well in tune with the financial markets ;):D

Wait till they get older and learn to account for inflation :D

Monday 24th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. Interested to see how the old leg would feel after yesterday’s massage… The massage was excellent: not one of those idiotic let me see how much I can make you scream massages – rather a considered and thoughtful massage with moderate and appropriate pressure; didn’t over-treat, which so often happens; just right. After the massage I felt immediate relief. Excellent stuff. All the more surprising, the therapist is in her first year as a physio!

This morning it was a tad tender but nothing serious. In the afternoon I did some positional release on the peroneals and triggered the soleus.

p.m. 6 miles progression moving from easy to moderate and then over the final two miles down to LT and finishing off the final 3 mins at 5k effort. Leg felt great. No pain at all and full power. I tried to hold back but when I went up a hill without any discomfort I just let the legs go. Leg felt brand new. First time this year that I’ve had that true flying feeling. Here we go…

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

First time this year that I’ve had that true flying feeling. Here we go…

Good sign!

I like that the girls' prize money is costing you money!

Nice move on the secret extension of Paddy's long MP workout. Once you get to that point, if you are truly running the right effort, you should be able to add on a few more miles. That was a solid workout.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 25th Feb

a.m. 7 miles ez. Wind. Rain. Puddles. Cold. Tired. Yuck.

p.m. 7 miles ez. Thought I’d feel much better than the morning run but when I started off I was zubed. I doubt I was able to muster 9 min pace in the first 2-3 miles. But after 3 miles or so, things picked up and I felt much better. Zipping along in the final mile or so. Leg felt fine on both runs.

AIS before and after both runs. Lunge matrix before morning run.

(14)

Fact: the greatest novel of all time is Cormac McCarthy’s, The Road. (If you disagree with this, please don’t embarrass yourself and say so.) I had hoped that Steve Magness’ book would prove to be the running book to put an end to all the dross running books; alas, it’s a huge disappointment, and that’s me being polite. I fear for Steveo…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fact: the greatest novel of all time is Cormac McCarthy’s, The Road. (If you disagree with this, please don’t embarrass yourself and say so.) I had hoped that Steve Magness’ book would prove to be the running book to put an end to all the dross running books; alas, it’s a huge disappointment, and that’s me being polite. I fear for Steveo…
    Hi Stazza, I haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to it (Magness' book, rather than 'The Road'). What is it about the book that is disappointing? I've been following Magness' posts on his blog/twitter, and have found his content quite refreshing, taking a more pragmatic approach to training, and a scientific look at existing assumptions. Is the problem that his approach doesn't line up with your own philosophies, ave you found the book to be factually incorrect, or do you just dislike the style? He has a pretty good track record (if you'll pardon the pun!).

Hi Stazza, I haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to it (Magness' book, rather than 'The Road'). What is it about the book that is disappointing? I've been following Magness' posts on his blog/twitter, and have found his content quite refreshing, taking a more pragmatic approach to training, and a scientific look at existing assumptions. Is the problem that his approach doesn't line up with your own philosophies, ave you found the book to be factually incorrect, or do you just dislike the style? He has a pretty good track record (if you'll pardon the pun!).

Krusty, I’m a fan of Magness and I agree with everything you’ve said. Also, my training philosophies are very similar to Magness’ ideas – we both utilize many other coaches’ ideas and blend them together - he actually pays tribute to many coaches etc. Maybe I was expecting too much. But even if my expectations were lower the book is still very light on detail, error strewn, and smacks of a student who has rushed an assignment and picked stuff out of other books and rewritten chunks etc and mashed them together – just enough so as to avoid claims of plagiarism. In fact, it's his website in book form - that's a plus.

That said, I’ve only read it once and hopefully when I go over it again I might get a bit more out of it. But I doubt it.

Off the top of my head, the stuff on marathon training is shocking. And this hints at what he may have got wrong: he’s spread himself too thin. If he’d taken more time (10 years+) then maybe he’d have nailed it. This is too flimsy and reads like a collection of snippets from magazines and websites. But that might have been the plan - plant the seeds for later editions etc.

After a second read I’ll do a ‘proper’ critique. But for now, I’m disappointed.

Cheers for the review. Having leafed through the previews on Amazon, I suspected as much - that it read more like a collection of individual articles, rather than a larger cohesive body of work. Well, if nothing else, hopefully he might address some of the questions I have surrounding the 5k plan I'm following (though I doubt it!). Might be an idea to post a review on Amazon, so there's a bit of balance to the praise. Also, must read 'The Road'. :)

...In fact, it's his website in book form - that's a plus.

I've barely skimmed through it, but agree - it is a compilation of his website articles... which is somewhat expected. He's my age, so you can't expect him to have as much material as someone like Tim Noakes :)

I read the marathon section, and parts made sense to me which I liked, but it probably only hit home to me because of the background of the conversations we have been having for months about marathon training. The typical runner who isn't familiar w/ Canova, etc, is going to pick that up and think - WHAT? There isn't nearly enough detail (from what I read).

That being said I'm still looking forward to actually reading through the whole thing.

Cheers for the review. Having leafed through the previews on Amazon, I suspected as much - that it read more like a collection of individual articles, rather than a larger cohesive body of work. Well, if nothing else, hopefully he might address some of the questions I have surrounding the 5k plan I'm following (though I doubt it!). Might be an idea to post a review on Amazon, so there's a bit of balance to the praise. Also, must read 'The Road'. :)

There's some good stuff in there and the book's worth getting - it's just it could have been so much more. If he'd only taken more time he could have done a great job. I understand that he's passionate and wanted to get his stuff out there but after the initial euphoria I think people will begin to see the chinks and flaws.

On the 5k stuff - if it's specific 5k questions you have I doubt it'll answer them - the slideshow where you got the schedule from is more detailed than the section in the book.

One of my concerns with his 5k schedule is the hill circuits, which he took from Canova and mashed together into his hotchpotch version. If you look at the video of the KIDS doing the circuit, watch the first exercise they do and see how they are using different techniques - some are doing full squats with bad technique (massive load on the patella tendon and achilles) and that's very dangerous from an injury point of view, especially on legs with 80mpw+ in them and other workouts. Others are hardly doing squats at all and the benefit of the exercise is negligible. And the 'jump' element is bit iffy. Then in his slideshow his demonstrations/explanations of technique are poor too - this is really important: if people head for the hills and start giving it root-toot they are asking for injuries (happened to me and I'm conversant with the correct techniques - at least in theory and training it in others). The slideshow does make an attempt to explain what needs to be done before attempting the hill circuits but again it's not thorough enough.

But like I've said, there is some sweet stuff in there - some nice workouts, some good stuff on threshold training. The science stuff is basic and is a good introduction for those looking for a 'way in' - this is a plus of the book. There are some nice workouts too. But the marathon stuff is a major let down and exposes him. But the book's worth getting - better than most of the dross.

I like Magness too much to go slate his book on Amazon - I've picked up loads from his website.

The Road is a must - it'll blow you away: I can tell from the way you write and what you have to say that you'll love it:D

I've barely skimmed through it, but agree - it is a compilation of his website articles... which is somewhat expected. He's my age, so you can't expect him to have as much material as someone like Tim Noakes :)

I read the marathon section, and parts made sense to me which I liked, but it probably only hit home to me because of the background of the conversations we have been having for months about marathon training. The typical runner who isn't familiar w/ Canova, etc, is going to pick that up and think - WHAT? There isn't nearly enough detail (from what I read).

That being said I'm still looking forward to actually reading through the whole thing.

As you know, I was really excited about this book – I paid for extra speedy delivery. In fact, I think I said to you that it will be an important book. Well, I stalked the door waiting for the postman and when he arrived with the parcel I ambushed him and that was it - I was off reading.

On the marathon section, his Base Period Plan and Pre-Competitive Period are ok, except for the lack of long runs. But his actual Competitive Period schedule is very poor and shows that he doesn’t really understand the marathon. What he’s actually done is lifted some Canova stuff and thought, well I can’t reproduce this and pass it off as my own so I’ll just play around with it and throw it out there – so long as it’s progressive and meets the pace extension criterion, it’ll pass. But he fails everywhere.

Long runs in the final 8 weeks:
    1 run of 18-20 miles and that’s at easy pace!
    1 16 miler progression from easy to just faster than mp.

Pace extension sessions in final 8 weeks:
    5x1.5 miles @ mp - even as an 'early' session in the specific period this is boy scout stuff.
    5x2 miles @ mp – about as much good as a chocolate fire guard
    4x3 miles @ mp – volume wise, getting there; pace wise – too slow.

There’s too much stuff that encourages the body to burn glycogen at paces faster than mp.

And then the lactate shunt sessions are way off the mark: the balance is out – 400m @LT pace, 1200m @ mp over 7 miles is no good. Although you don’t want the body generating 4 mmols of lactate, it will not produce enough lactate @ LT over 400m to provoke a training stimulus in terms of shunting lactate for energy production @ mp. The body will not produce enough Lactate. This is a nothing session.

Paddy the Kenyan does 1km @ LT 1 km @ MP over 10km. Another athlete I train does the same, only they do 14km. There needs to be two of these session in the final six weeks – ideally to break up the 102% of mp extension sessions. Anyway – I’ll get to all of this in good time…

I think if somebody followed Magness' plan, they would bonk at the 20-22 mile mark - if they were lucky.

One of my concerns with his 5k schedule is the hill circuits, which he took from Canova and mashed together into his hotchpotch version. If you look at the video of the KIDS doing the circuit, watch the first exercise they do and see how they are using different techniques - some are doing full squats with bad technique (massive load on the patella tendon and achilles) and that's very dangerous from an injury point of view, especially on legs with 80mpw+ in them and other workouts. Others are hardly doing squats at all and the benefit of the exercise is negligible. And the 'jump' element is bit iffy.
    I watched the video and it educated me in terms of the broader expectations for the session (I had originally thought it was supposed to be a tempo session on hilly terrain), but yeah, watching the kids I figured that the drills themselves were not being conducted correctly, so I reached for youtube for each of the specific drills and generally arrived at videos produced by running coaches. Sure, this may not be the best approach, but for want of a better solution, it will have to do! When will we see the Stazza AIS and drills on youtube? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I am reading through the Magness book, slowly.
    I am still on section 1 - the science bit which is good, very detailed (probably is closely based on his PhD thesis) but understandable and uptodate.

I have skipped ahead to the training for each event bit. As expected this is relatively scant since this is not a running formula - but he still does a better job of 800m training than Dr Jack. I have not looked at his marathon training as I know nothing about this, I am surprised it is even there. The book somewhat reminds me of one of Peter Coe's books but a generation later.

The main annoyance for me is all the proof-reading errors (16 so far and counting).
    I am holding fire on overall ratings until I have read it fully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement