Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Stazza wrote: »
    On the marathon section, his Base Period Plan and Pre-Competitive Period are ok, except for the lack of long runs.

Long runs in the final 8 weeks:
    1 run of 18-20 miles and that’s at easy pace!
    1 16 miler progression from easy to just faster than mp.

Pace extension sessions in final 8 weeks:
    5x1.5 miles @ mp - even as an 'early' session in the specific period this is boy scout stuff.
    5x2 miles @ mp – about as much good as a chocolate fire guard

That was what I thought when I looked at the schedule - there are NO LONG RUNS! I thought the paragraphs explaining the theory behind the training were OK, but once I got to the workout calendar, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

5 x 1.5 @ MP, 5 x 2 @ MP... Why not just do 8-10 @ MP? If you can't do that, you're already toast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

jakek wrote: »
    That was what I thought when I looked at the schedule - there are NO LONG RUNS! I thought the paragraphs explaining the theory behind the training were OK, but once I got to the workout calendar, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

5 x 1.5 @ MP, 5 x 2 @ MP... Why not just do 8-10 @ MP? If you can't do that, you're already toast :D

It's bizarre. I've checked it many times to make sure I'm not missing something - if I am then I'm sorry Steveo. There are many problems with the book and as dna_leri has highlighted, the proof reading or lack of, is very annoying. I can't understand how he could have got it so wrong. He will have lost all credibility in the circles he's trying to influence. Hopefully, papa Canova will put his arm around him and make it all better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

When is your book out stazza, now there's a best seller:D

When is your book out stazza, now there's a best seller:D

Funny you ask...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Funny you ask...:pac::pac::pac:

Which shelf will it be on? :D

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Which shelf will it be on? :D

It's sitting on my bookshelf next to Steveo's. I'm sure I heard it whisper to The Road,'Does Stazza plonk all the crappy books on this shelf?'

The Road just gave it the old, ;)

Wednesday 26th Feb

a.m. 13 miles incl 9 miles @ AT. 2.5 miles w/u and then straight into the session. Felt tired enough and throughout the run didn’t get the floating feeling I was after. More of a laboured effort. Pleased that I didn’t jack it and kept going. It felt as though my glutes were skiving and the old hamsters were working overtime. Need to make sure I do some drills before heading out.

AIS before and after the run.

(13)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's sitting on my bookshelf next to Steveo's. I'm sure I heard it whisper to The Road,'Does Stazza plonk all the crappy books on this shelf?'

The Road just gave it the old, ;)

Just downloaded The Road, traveling next week so will give it a whirl.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just downloaded The Road, traveling next week so will give it a whirl.

I think you'll enjoy it - let us know what you think...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Recently finished Cormac McCarthy's more recent novel, Blood Meridian, another masterpiece and even better than The Road in my opinion.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Recently finished Cormac McCarthy's more recent novel, Blood Meridian, another masterpiece and even better than The Road in my opinion.

Blood Meridian is a cracker too - written long before The Road. But The Road is The Book. Have you read, No Country For Old Men and The Border Trilogy? Great reads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Blood Meridian is a cracker too - written long before The Road. But The Road is The Book. Have you read, No Country For Old Men and The Border Trilogy? Great reads too.

Apologies, have them in the wrong order. Yes I've read No Country for Old Men, and loved it (as well as the film). Must check out The Border Trilogy, I love all McCarthy's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I read a good 'un where two young fellas end up in Mexico land and the protagonist is banged up in jail for a while. Good read that. I'm guessing it's one of the trilogy. When I was reading No Country I thought, boy, this will be made into a movie soon.

Stazza, AT is aerobic threshold right? Must google the definition.

Itziger wrote: »
    I read a good 'un where two young fellas end up in Mexico land and the protagonist is banged up in jail for a while. Good read that. I'm guessing it's one of the trilogy. When I was reading No Country I thought, boy, this will be made into a movie soon.

Stazza, AT is aerobic threshold right? Must google the definition.

That sounds like one of the Border Trilogy novels - All The Pretty Horses, I think. The Cohens made No Country For Old Men into a movie - they pretty much copied the book word for word; mind you, McCarthy worked with them on it. The bit about the dime(?) and the shopkeeper is a classic movie moment.

AT is Aerobic Threshold - generally taken to be the pace/effort that you can sustain for 2 hrs. There's a ventilatory break-point/Threshold around the 2hr mark/2:05 mark - that's when things start to get uncomfortable, like tight shoulders and breathing becomes more laboured. This is why you'll see the gurus advocating long runs that range from 2hrs and 5 mins +. But it's important to note that if you do runs that go over the 2hr point - so long as you're not going at snail's pace- it will take longer to recover: there will be microtrauma to the fibres/cells, which generally take about 48hrs - 72hrs to repair.

AT is a good pace to work at in the early stages of training as it works as an aerobic builder without putting too much stress on the musculoskeletal system. This facilitates both metabolic and structural development without allowing the margin/gap between the two to widen and therefore prevents the likelihood of injuries like stress fractures etc.

Another good run in this sort of range is what I call a Stazza-rooney (for the fans of yoyos, I just made that up - don't go googling it etc) is where you are working in between LT and AT: about the pace/effort you could maintain for 80-95 mins - this is often called High End Aerobic Zone. In the olden days this would have been a steady-hard run. Runs where you're in this sort of area/zone for about 35 min-65 mins are a great progression from AT runs of a similar duration. Effectively, you are increasing the pace from AT to Stazza-rooney:D

Thursday 27th Feb

a.m. 8 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. The poor lad was on his chin straps: what, with his 22 miler with 18 miles @ 98.5% of MP in the wind and rain and hills on Sunday and then his lactate shunt session of 1k @ LT – 1k @ MP for 10k yesterday, he was on the tired side of things. But my hearty chat and humour lifted his spirits. Plus, I taught him how to do positional release on his psoas, gave him a bag of quinoa, and let him see our new gerbils. What more can a man want out of this little journey towards the nothingness, ay?

We had a good chat about marathon training and I explained why people shouldn’t train at marathon pace until three weeks out from the race. But I’ll save that for another day.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Had to hold back: the old legs wanted to go – they’re liking the new found power. Told them, ez boys, we got some LT stuff to deal with tomorrow. This is the final week of boring training. Now that the leg’s pretty much sorted, I’ll be getting into a progressive schedule from next week.

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan, check out Child of God if you haven't already. It's a book that will make a mark on you, chilling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

We had a good chat about marathon training and I explained why people shouldn’t train at marathon pace until three weeks out from the race. But I’ll save that for another day.

I have no idea what's going on here half the time - but this piqued my interest.

Beef wrote: »
    I have no idea what's going on here half the time - but this piqued my interest.

God yeah, that sounds interesting. Hope you don't put it too far back on the burner Stazza.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Beef wrote: »

Got my attention too. I suppose one thing in isolation isn't an awful lot of use though. Do you think that it's true for every runner and is it valid for every level of runner? I would have thought for instance that your novice marathon runner who has never done more than 30 - 40 miles per week would benefit hugely simply from the aerobic development?

Clearlier wrote: »
    Got my attention too. I suppose one thing in isolation isn't an awful lot of use though. Do you think that it's true for every runner and is it valid for every level of runner? I would have thought for instance that your novice marathon runner who has never done more than 30 - 40 miles per week would benefit hugely simply from the aerobic development?

Good point. Yep, of course, pretty much any sort of running is going to benefit a novice marathon runner. But it's more about getting bang for your buck, even with novice marathon runners.

I'm hesitant to start explaining this as I know many people are in the middle of marathon training cycles at the moment and this might wreck their heads - a bit like the whether you should race in the final 8 weeks thing.

Also, for the explanation to be meaningful I'd have to outline and explain the whole concept/philosophy of how I think one should prepare for a marathon. And that's problematic as I don't believe that any two people should prepare in the same way. Although some of the basic principles are general enough and are one size fits all(ish) and should be followed by most, an individualised and nuanced schedule is the right way to go.

What I'll do for now (later) is put into context the conversation I had with Paddy the Kenyan, which will go some way to explaining what I was on about. And then later - after the spring marathons and in timing with Jake's preparation - I'll explain the whole thing.

But just think about this, what is it that you are trying to do when you are training for a marathon? Are you trying to run 12-16 miles @ PMP - the race doesn't start until the 20 mile mark. And what happens when most of you get to 20-22 miles? The wheels come off. Why? Would you make your main 10k training session 6k @10pace? No. Think about it. I'll be back... I NEED SOME ENERGY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm hesitant to start explaining this as I know many people are in the middle of marathon training cycles at the moment and this might wreck their heads

TOO LATE!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Stazza....the master tease.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

And then later - after the spring marathons and in timing with Jake's preparation - I'll explain the whole thing.

But just think about this, what is it that you are trying to do when you are training for a marathon? Are you trying to run 12-16 miles @ PMP - the race doesn't start until the 20 mile mark. And what happens when most of you get to 20-22 miles? The wheels come off. Why? Would you make your main 10k training session 6k @10pace? No. Think about it. I'll be back... I NEED SOME ENERGY.

Everyone's head just exploded! :D

I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan, check out Child of God if you haven't already. It's a book that will make a mark on you, chilling stuff.

Yeah, it's dark all right. The only stuff of McCarthy's I haven't read are the two plays, The Stonemason and The Sunset Limited, and the two screenplays, The Gardener's Son and The Counselor.

First person to run a sub 2hr marathon or to have written The Road? Easy, The Road. :)

Yeah, it's dark all right. The only stuff of McCarthy's I haven't read are the two plays, The Stonemason and The Sunset Limited, and the two screenplays, The Gardener's Son and The Counselor.

First person to run a sub 2hr marathon or to have written The Road? Easy, The Road. :)

I'm calling bull$hit on this. First person to run under 2hrs for marathon will be remembered once men can breathe and eyes can see. Theirs will be an eternal Summer.

The Road, sheeesh. (Note: I haven't read it)

Friday 28th Feb

a.m. 8+ miles incl 3x(6x20 secs @ 3k effort off jog back rec) 400 jog between sets.
    Was planning on doing a LT workout but opted to do some Kellogg aerobic intervals instead. Wanted to get something a bit faster in the legs to assist the LT and AT runs, which have felt a bit flat. Great idea. Really enjoyed this today and felt that I was back…

Mind drifted a bit: often thought I was turning over Krusty and T Runner etc (sure I heard one of them squealing on one of the reps:)). Form felt good and nice zip off the ground. Kept them aerobic but probably went a bit quicker than 3k pace.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Thought the legs would be heavy and tired but they weren’t – full of running. Had to hold back. Think things are starting to look up.

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm calling bull$hit on this. First person to run under 2hrs for marathon will be remembered once men can breathe and eyes can see. Theirs will be an eternal Summer.

The Road, sheeesh. (Note: I haven't read it)

It's not about being remembered but then if you don't get that, there's no point.;)

Hey, you've got Wolfie liking your every post, so you must be doing something right. Now what that something is…….. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Good point. Yep, of course, pretty much any sort of running is going to benefit a novice marathon runner. But it's more about getting bang for your buck, even with novice marathon runners.

I'm hesitant to start explaining this as I know many people are in the middle of marathon training cycles at the moment and this might wreck their heads - a bit like the whether you should race in the final 8 weeks thing.

Also, for the explanation to be meaningful I'd have to outline and explain the whole concept/philosophy of how I think one should prepare for a marathon. And that's problematic as I don't believe that any two people should prepare in the same way. Although some of the basic principles are general enough and are one size fits all(ish) and should be followed by most, an individualised and nuanced schedule is the right way to go.

What I'll do for now (later) is put into context the conversation I had with Paddy the Kenyan, which will go some way to explaining what I was on about. And then later - after the spring marathons and in timing with Jake's preparation - I'll explain the whole thing.

I have a few ideas around marathon plans but not much beyond the basics for a 10k. Specific pace only in the last 3 weeks allied to 6k @ 10k pace does bring Lydiard's time trials to mind but I have noticed that McMillan and others do tend to prescribe pace sessions that develop over several weeks ( 6*1k moving into 3*2k over the course of 6 weeks or so). Given your (and Jake's chocolate teapot) comments about Magness's marathon plans in his book I can't imagine that finding favour with you though. That said I'm struggling a little to compare the relevance of 6k@10k pace to 15 miles @ marathon pace. The former is a horrible crossover between a VO2 max session and a lactate threshold session. The kind of run that's good only when close to peaking. The latter - wait a second - for an elite or sub-elite it's equally horrible. Have you erected a little bit of a straw man though? Most plans I've read would progress the volume of marathon pace running possibly starting with as little as 6 to 8.

The energy comment seems to be hinting at energy systems. Are you pointing out that PMP as opposed to PME (effort) runs get too close to threshold sessions when you're still a couple of months out from your goal race so they're trainig the wrong energy systems or at least not hitting them at the right point so you're getting too much mish-mash and not enough specificity? A possible tie in to the body's ability to burn fat during a marathon or is that a leap too far?

Is your basic insight that you should train the body to run as efficiently as possible for the amount of time that is your goal to run the race in?

To get a little insight into what's driving my questions read below:

Mostly I'm looking for ideas for a friend that I fell into coaching because he was getting bad advice and I let him know what I thought he should do. Fast forward a year and there's still a little mileage in my basic idea (run more/don't do short intervals all that often) but his conversions from short to long have tightened up and I'm thinking that he probably needs to get his times for shorter distances down to fully realise his potential. I've convinced him to skip an autumn marathon in favour of a focus on short stuff and then doing London again next year. I had him do 9 weeks of Daniels' 5-15k plan since the end of last year which gave him a reasonable improvement over 10k (although he didn't see it because the race he ran coincided with 40mph winds!). Now he has moved into a marathon specific phase which I'm a little frustrated with because it's basically reprising what he did for Berlin last year with some slightly faster paces but his background is different this time so I'm slightly worried about how it'll turn out. In any case I've spent a year getting to understand how he responds to different types of training and I've got him looking at the big picture but I feel like I'm a little short of the tools to bring him to reach his full potential.

Your comment about marathon pace particularly piqued my interest because my friends plan has quite a bit of marathon paced running in it and he found the first one hard. My advice was to focus on the effort and not worry about the pace because the benefit of marathon pace effort running to him will be to help bring back his endurance of which he will have lost a little during the last 2 months of Daniels. Your throwaway comment has me second guessing myself.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    I have a few ideas around marathon plans but not much beyond the basics for a 10k. Specific pace only in the last 3 weeks allied to 6k @ 10k pace does bring Lydiard's time trials to mind but I have noticed that McMillan and others do tend to prescribe pace sessions that develop over several weeks ( 6*1k moving into 3*2k over the course of 6 weeks or so). Given your (and Jake's chocolate teapot) comments about Magness's marathon plans in his book I can't imagine that finding favour with you though. That said I'm struggling a little to compare the relevance of 6k@10k pace to 15 miles @ marathon pace. The former is a horrible crossover between a VO2 max session and a lactate threshold session. The kind of run that's good only when close to peaking. The latter - wait a second - for an elite or sub-elite it's equally horrible. Have you erected a little bit of a straw man though? Most plans I've read would progress the volume of marathon pace running possibly starting with as little as 6 to 8.

The energy comment seems to be hinting at energy systems. Are you pointing out that PMP as opposed to PME (effort) runs get too close to threshold sessions when you're still a couple of months out from your goal race so they're trainig the wrong energy systems or at least not hitting them at the right point so you're getting too much mish-mash and not enough specificity? A possible tie in to the body's ability to burn fat during a marathon or is that a leap too far?

Is your basic insight that you should train the body to run as efficiently as possible for the amount of time that is your goal to run the race in?

To get a little insight into what's driving my questions read below:

Mostly I'm looking for ideas for a friend that I fell into coaching because he was getting bad advice and I let him know what I thought he should do. Fast forward a year and there's still a little mileage in my basic idea (run more/don't do short intervals all that often) but his conversions from short to long have tightened up and I'm thinking that he probably needs to get his times for shorter distances down to fully realise his potential. I've convinced him to skip an autumn marathon in favour of a focus on short stuff and then doing London again next year. I had him do 9 weeks of Daniels' 5-15k plan since the end of last year which gave him a reasonable improvement over 10k (although he didn't see it because the race he ran coincided with 40mph winds!). Now he has moved into a marathon specific phase which I'm a little frustrated with because it's basically reprising what he did for Berlin last year with some slightly faster paces but his background is different this time so I'm slightly worried about how it'll turn out. In any case I've spent a year getting to understand how he responds to different types of training and I've got him looking at the big picture but I feel like I'm a little short of the tools to bring him to reach his full potential.

Your comment about marathon pace particularly piqued my interest because my friends plan has quite a bit of marathon paced running in it and he found the first one hard. My advice was to focus on the effort and not worry about the pace because the benefit of marathon pace effort running to him will be to help bring back his endurance of which he will have lost a little during the last 2 months of Daniels. Your throwaway comment has me second guessing myself.

If I can find the time tomorrow, I’ll try and explain why I believe you shouldn’t train at marathon pace until the final three weeks. But in a nutshell it’s about preparing the body to burn fuel efficiently at MP. Ironically, the best way to do this isn’t by training the body at MP – I’ll explain the reasons for this another time; it’s best achieved by working either side of MP.

The long runs start @ 80% of MP and, depending on the experience and ability of the runner, progress towards 95%-97% of MP – this allows both the metabolic and biomechanical structures to develop together. So that by the time you hit the Specific Phase (8 -9 weeks out) every other long run has large segments @ this pace – the segments progress in distance each time.

At the same time the other end of the spectrum starts at roughly 110% of MP and works down in pace to 103% but the distance of the reps and volume of the session are extended. So, by the time you hit the Specific Phase you are starting off with something like 8x2k @103/104% of MP off 1km rec @ 80% of MP. These sessions are done every other week and musn’t clash with the 97% long run. They develop into something like 4x6k/5x5k @ 103/104% of MP off 1k @80% of MP.

Here’s the first draft of a schedule that one of my boys did (he was a 2:12 guy and could cope with a higher work load etc):

Weekly speed workout
    16x400m 110% of pmp 200 jog rec (8min mile pace for all jog recoveries)
    20x400m
    14x800m 107% of pmp 400m jog rec
    16x800m
    16x1000m 105 % of pmp 500m jog rec
    12x1200m 104% of pmp 600m jog rec
    10x1600m 103 % of pmp 800m jog rec

Specific
    8x2k 103% of pmp 1k rec 800m rec @ 45 secs slower per mile pace
    6x3k as above
    5x4k as above
    4x5k as above
    a.m. 2m. w/u 5m. @ pmp +2% 2m. w/d - p.m. 2m. w/u 10m. @ 102% of pmp* 2m w/d.
    Supercompensation Week
    4x6k 102 % of pmp off 800m rec @ 45 secs slower per mile pace
    a.m 2m w/u 7m @ pmp 2m w/d. – p.m. 2m. w/u 10m @ 102% of pmp* 2m w/d.
    3x8k 102 % of pmp off 800m rec @ 45 secs slower per mile pace

Weekly long run
    2hrs 15 mins @ 80% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins @ 80% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins 1 hr @ 80% of pmp, 75 mins @90% of pmp, last 15 mins @ 95% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins 1hr @ 80% of pmp, 1hr @90% of pmp, last 30 mins @ 95% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins 1hr @ 80% of pmp, 45 mins @90% of pmp, last 45 mins @ 95% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins 1hr @ 80% of pmp, 30 mins @90% of pmp, last hr @ 95% of pmp.
    2hrs 30 mins 1hr @ 80% of pmp, 30 mins @90% of pmp, 45 mins @ 95% of pmp, 15 mins @pmp.

Specific
    20 miles with 14 miles @ 95% of pmp
    20 miles with 14 miles @ 97% of pmp
    20 miles with 16 miles @ 97% of pmp
    18 miles @ 95% of pmp
    22 miles with 18 miles @ 97% of pmp
    24 miles with 20 miles @ 95% of pmp
    24 miles with 20 @ 97% of pmp
    22 miles @ 95% of pmp.

In between these sessions do a weekly hill session alternating between - 8x8 sec hill blasts with a good 2min walk rec and 10x100m sprints at about 95% of all out effort with a walk back recovery. All other miles should be run at a very slow pace – they are recovery runs. You shouldn’t run further than 8 miles/1hr on any of these runs. You get diminishing returns running longer than an hour on rec runs and you increase the chances of getting injured. Doubles on recovery days (8+8). Shakeout after the speed days.
    :)

Note - This was not the final schedule. And it's important to note that the final schedule was amended as we went along. Also,you'll note that there were no Lactate Shunt sessions and nor were there any in the final schedule - when I devised this schedule I wasn't conversant with employing LS sessions in marathon training.

I'll also draw your attention to two more points:
    1. The original schedules wouldn't have been written in terms of pace as a % of MP - I've changed this from the actual target paces to percentages so that you'll get the idea.
    2. This is a Canovaesque template - a starting point. The final product looked nothing like the above. Like I've stated before, the basic principles underpin the training but the final schedule is always individualised and takes into consideration the runner's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.

When I get the time, I'll post schedules I've used for guys and gals who've run between 2:20 and 3:30. - with explanations...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement