Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Wednesday 5th March

a.m. 13 miles incl 8 miles with 6 @AT progressing into 2@ LT. 2.5 up/2.5 down. Hate these runs as they really do show where you are fitness wise. That said, much better than last week’s 9 @ AT. Defo faster and more relaxed but there’s still a long way to go.

Shock, horror – no AIS, no stretching: mad rush.

(13)

Thursday 6th March

a.m. 8 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. Had to ask him to slow down – legs were feeling heavy. Thought the legs were sluggish from not stretching yesterday but I discovered later, I’m fighting off a cold. The youngest kiddo was off school this week with a cold and the old machine has been battling it off. Opted not to run tonight: give the body a fighting chance to shake off the lurgy.

AIS before and after run.

(8)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

What's your thoughts on dry needling?

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    What's your thoughts on dry needling?

I don't know enough about dry needling to comment one way or the other. Sorry.

Friday 7th March

a.m. 8 miles ez with 8x100m strides.
    p.m. 6 miles ez.

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

Managed to fight off the lurgy and felt much better today.

• Advertisement

Saturday 8th March

a.m. 8 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles ez.

AIS before and after both runs

(14)

Sunday 9th March

a.m. 8 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles ez.

(14)

Training changes this week …

Monday 10th March

a.m. 8 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles relaxed.

Thankfully I had plenty of time to do AIS before and after both runs – even had time to drop out a cheeky little Myrtl:p.

(14)

This is how the training should look for the next 9 weeks:

Weeks 1/4/7
    Sun - 8 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Mon - 8 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Tue - 10 incl LT 3x8 min/ 2x12 min/22 min + 6 easy {16)
    Wed - 8 easy + 6 easy {14)
    Thur - 8 easy + 6 incl 3/5/7 x 8 sec hill blasts {14}
    Fri - 8 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Sat - 8-10 incl 5k session 30x200m/10x600m/5x1200 + 5/6 easy {14/15}

Weeks 2/5/8
    Mon - 8 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Tue - 14 incl 10k session 6x(5-1-1)/5x(6-1-1)/4x(8-1-1) + 5 easy {19}
    Wed - 6 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Thur - 8 easy + 6 incl 4/6/8 x 8 sec hill blasts {14}
    Sat - 8-10 incl 5k session 20x300m/7x800m/4x1600m +5/6 {14/15}

Weeks 3/6/9
    Mon - 8 easy + 6 easy {14)
    Tue - 8 incl 3k effort: 10x40sec hills/50 sec hills/60 sec hills + 6 easy {14}
    Wed - 8 easy + 6 easy {14}
    Thur - 8 easy + 6 incl 8x100m strides {14}
    Sat - 8-10 incl 5k session 15x400m/6x1000m/5k race (16 mins-16:30) + 5/6 easy {14/15}

I’ve changed things from the original plan. Hopefully, I’ll be able to cope with the hills without rupturing my achilles etc; time will tell. The idea is to be in 16-16:30 5k shape around the beginning of May when the training transitions to multi-tier 5k work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Stazza wrote: »
    Hopefully, I’ll be able to cope with the hills without rupturing my achilles etc; time will tell.

Yes, let's hope so!

I like the plan and the progression of the different types of workouts.

That 30x200 isn't that hard, but its going to feel long!

Tuesday 11th March

a.m. 11 miles with 3x8 mins off 3 mins jog. Plan was to do these in and around 10 mile race effort, whatever that would turn out to be. Although I doubt I’m capable of racing 10 miles at the moment, the idea was to try and tune into what felt like race effort for 10 miles. I thought if all went well I’d do them somewhere between 5:50’s and 6:00 min pace. Any slower than that and I’d really have my work cut out in terms of getting back to some sort of ‘real’ fitness. I wanted to run them by feel but I took the Garmin just to get an idea of where I’m at etc. More importantly, I needed to make sure that there were no signs of discomfort from the injury.

Did 4 miles warm up and threw in 4x20 sec pick ups. Before I set off on the first rep I did a few marching drills to get the glutes fully activated.

First rep: Started on a downhill (400m or so) and then evened out. Although I didn’t feel fast, I felt strong. My concentration was poor and I felt a bit heavy etc. But the average pace turned out to be 5:44 for the 8 mins. The effort felt bang on so I was pleased enough.

Second rep: was ready to go after 1:50 but took the full 3 mins and then set off. And again, I felt strong but sluggish on the pace front. Concentration was poor and the average pace for the 8 mins was 5:43. I could have run quicker but I wanted to keep the reps at the right effort.

Third rep: Took about 2:15 to fully recover – so the effort so far was probably about right. Final rep was flat for the first half mile and then up a very slight drag for the next half mile and then slightly downhill to finish. Felt ok again and finished the 8 mins in an average pace of 5:47.

So, about what I expected/a bit faster. Although the effort felt about right for 10 miles race pace, I doubt I could keep that pace going for 10 miles at the moment. But I have a benchmark and it’ll be fun to watch the improvement. The leg held up well and I think things might just be ok. One thing’s for sure, Krusty and T Runner both have a good head start on me:).

p.m. 4 miles shakeout. Had that nice post session feeling of tiredness.

(15)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Theres something not quite right about that. Dont get me wrong, looks like a good session, but 10 mile race pace is what you can race 10 miles at right now. Ive been wondering what youve been basing 'LT' and 'AT' paces on too - since youre not racing much and dont do long runs yet?

While im a bit hypocritical to point this out as im a sinner for training at inappropriate paces :) - but arent you training at aspirational 10 mile paces rather than actual? Might risk skirting injury (although prob less of a problem with decent recoveries between reps etc)

Tuesday 11th March
    Although the effort felt about right for 10 miles race pace, I doubt I could keep that pace going for 10 miles at the moment

• Advertisement

I think I understand what you mean. But I’ve not been running AT and LT off paces – I’ve been running off EFFORT. So, my AT effort is roughly what I think I could manage for about 2hrs – at the moment/on the day - and LT is the effort I think I could manage for about 40-50 mins – at the moment/on the day. It changes on any given day and that’s why I don’t use pace. And as I get fitter and shed more poundage, I’ll get faster etc. Up until today I haven’t been interested in pace as I’m coming back from injury etc.

Today, I wanted to run a bit slower than LT so I opted for an effort that I thought I could manage for a 10 mile race. During the reps, the effort felt about right for 10 mile race pace. After I’d finished the workout I thought to myself, could I manage 5:45 pace/today’s effort for 10 miles? Probably not. I suspect if I were to race 10 miles at that effort/pace, I’d blow up – maybe not. More to do with the lack of hard running/specific training etc than anything else. I think I probably ended up running closer to 8 miles race EFFORT/LT than 10 mile race effort/pace. It’s difficult to tell exactly as it wasn't a particularly difficult session – I’m just starting to develop endurance in a more structured manner.

But in three weeks when I come back to the session and do 2x10 mins – I’ll run in and around today’s effort or what I think I could manage for 10 miles and see what the pace is after. I strongly suspect that by then I’ll be able to run hard for 10 miles and probably at about 5:40 pace. Then when I come back again in another 3 weeks and do the 20 min Rep, I’ll run at the same EFFORT and I suspect the pace will be about 5:35, and so on.

In terms of injury – today wasn’t stressful. I’m more concerned about the hill blasts on Thursday and the 30x200m on Saturday. But then, I’ll only be doing 3 hill blasts, so hopefully I’ll get away with it. And, although I’m planning on wearing my new spikes for the track session, the pace shouldn’t cause any problems – at least in theory.

Wednesday 12th March

a.m. 8 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles ez.

AIS before and after both runs. Myrtl after morning run with clams and clams with a twist.

(14)

Thursday 13th March

a.m. 6 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan – the boy is ready to mash it up on Sunday…

p.m. 6 miles incl drills and 3x8 sec hill blasts. Brilliant session – motor units being recruited left, right, and centre. Pure ballistic power at its finest. Did 3 mile moderate progression to warm up. Banged out the drills and then gave it root-toot. Very pleased with these. Next test is how I go in my brand spanking new Nike spikes…

(12)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If you don't mind me asking Stazza, is the purpose of these hills blasts to try and kick start more neurons in the muscles, ie to get the muscles to fire? I'm curious as well about the technique...

pconn062 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking Stazza, is the purpose of these hills blasts to try and kick start more neurons in the muscles, ie to get the muscles to fire? I'm curious as well about the technique...

Here you go...

Friday 14th March

a.m. 8 miles easy. Nice pootle. Legs felt good after yesterday’s cheeky little hill blast opener.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed.

(14)

I’ve decided to bin the 30x200m’s tomorrow and go straight into the 20x300m. I think if I were to do the 200’s I’d probably go too fast and end up crippled. I’m going to try and run the 300’s in and around 58’s-60’s. Nothing serious, just want to get the legs familiar with the spikes and the track. Then I’ll try and maintain 5:12-5:20 pace as I extend the distance up to 4x1600m off 90 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Good luck to P the K on Sunday!

a.m. 9 miles incl 20x300m off 100m jog rec. AIS-2 miles warm up - dynamic stretching and drills and strides(6x100m)- session - 1 mile cool down - static stretching.

Well, what a beautiful morning to slip on the new spikes and show the locals how it’s done. Your old Granddad gave a masterful display of track elegance in the sunshine.

Plan was to run the 300’s in and around 60 seconds (5:20ish pace for 5k) and not get injured in the process. Gotta say, I was worried about the spikes and the track and my age and all that malarkey. Not a bother. Your old Granddad still has it.

Decided to run off feel and not look at the watch for the first one. If it ended up slow, so be it. But this happened:

1. 54
    2. 53
    3. 54
    4. 54
    5. 54
    6. 54
    7. 54
    8. 52
    9. 53
    10. 52
    11. 51
    12. 54
    13. 52
    14. 53
    15. 53
    16. 52
    17. 53
    18. 51
    19. 51
    20. 50

AV 52.75 rounded up 53 =71-72 for 400’s= 4:44-4:48pace.

Didn’t see that coming and I felt like I could've done another 10 at about 53. Very pleased with this session. It was comfortable from start to finish. Next week’s session is 15x400m…

p.m. 4 miles shakeout.

(13)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Savage stuff Stazza, that's great running.

Bravo. Good that you started by doing them off feel - put you in a good place to start... faster than you might have done otherwise... and then you really were consistent the rest of the way. Well done!!

• Advertisement

Sunday 16th March

p.m. 8 miles relaxed.
    Probably a touch to quick.

AIS before and after run.
    (8)

No morning run – let the boss go out for her plod and didn’t have time to get out with all the marathon excitement.

What a great day. Followed the leaders around the course. Race report to follow…

Here's what Paddy the Kenyan had to say about the Tralee Marathon and his race:

Split Time Distance Avg Pace
    Summary 3:12:53.0 26.38 7:19
    1 6:36.1 1.00 6:36
    2 6:36.5 1.00 6:37
    3 6:39.6 1.00 6:40
    4 6:48.0 1.00 6:48
    5 6:23.0 1.00 6:23
    6 6:28.3 1.00 6:28
    7 6:35.6 1.00 6:36
    8 6:41.4 1.00 6:41
    9 6:34.0 1.00 6:34
    10 6:33.8 1.00 6:34
    11 6:51.9 1.00 6:52
    12 6:43.6 1.00 6:44
    13 6:41.0 1.00 6:41
    14 6:47.1 1.00 6:47
    15 6:38.1 1.00 6:38
    16 6:42.5 1.00 6:42
    17 6:45.1 1.00 6:45
    18 6:52.4 1.00 6:52
    19 7:37.8 1.00 7:38
    20 7:29.0 1.00 7:29
    21 7:58.3 1.00 7:58
    22 8:36.4 1.00 8:36
    23 9:09.7 1.00 9:10
    24 9:55.9 1.00 9:56
    25 9:53.0 1.00 9:53
    26 9:14.5 1.00 9:14
    27 3:02.4 0.38 7:57

There's a set of numbers that looks even worse than I did at mile 24!

Obviously a very disappointing day—I felt great through 10, oddly enough: actively holding myself back. While it was quite windy, I knew I'd faced worse in training and coped alright.

I began to struggle coming into Churchill; I was overheating and breathing more heavily than I should have been. That said, I only went through halfway in 1:27, which was perfect pacing, given the conditions.

The plan was to pick it up on the way home from Fenit, but I was already hanging on by that point; looking back at the splits, I was in trouble from mile 18 onward.

By the time I reached the Kerries, there was just nothing left. I tried to latch onto ecoli when the sub-3 group went past, but could only stay with them for a quarter mile, where after I walked-jogged the remainder of the 'race'. I introduced myself to Thomas when he passed me (he is taller than he looks in photos!).

I was a pretty sorry state at the finish line—the Red Cross tried to bundle me into an ambulance, but I figured I'd be better off heading home. It took me the best part of half an hour to summon the energy needed to walk the short distance to the car. Back at base, I did my characteristic puke before collapsing into bed for a couple of hours. I'm absolutely shattered now; having survived a dizzy spell in the shower, I've spent the last hours knocking back prodigious amounts of liquid, pizza and Lindt chocolate, with nary a sign of an urge to take a pis4.

It's hard to figure out how to analyse the race. This morning's fuelling process went off without a hitch and I was full of beans at the start. Did I just wind up having a bad day at the worst possible time? Am I running's own Tim Woodman? Should I have been more defeatist/realistic and ran with the sub-3 group? Looking at the results, I notice that everyone outside the top 5 essentially blew up over the final 10 miles, which suggests it was a tough day all round. I can't imagine many of them had completed a comparable training schedule to mine, however.

I felt sorry for JC: his heart must have sank when he saw G O'H at the start. JD's and Ms H's performances were impressive, and you have to tip your hat to old PD, as well.

Observations

1. I obviously dehydrate really easily—the slightest rise in temperature and I'm in trouble. I had, ironically, been worried that I was headed for hyponatremia last night, as I was pis4ing like a shire horse.

2. I probably didn't get quite enough sleep in the last week. I've been very tired, and my recent runs were disappointingly difficult.

3. I unexpectedly lost two pounds yesterday, bringing me down to 151, which is my lowest weight for six or seven years. Maybe I wound up slightly too light?

Thanks for all your help over the last few months; I apologise for besmirching the reputation of the Stazza system! At least my performance was so poor that all blame can be unequivocally lobbed in my direction, rather than yours. I'm planning on shaving my head tomorrow in an act of Yuki Kawauchi style penance. It's probably time to face reality on the baldness question, in any case.

Will you pass on my gratitude to G and your Dad for accompanying me on this unmitigated disaster? I hope G is better and that her illness wasn't the result of picking dog faeces off my predictably poorly thrown bottles.

Anyway; I'm going to watch yesterday's Stewart Lee, crack open a big bottle of Peroni, and drown my sorrows.

I guess I'll have to come back next year and right this wrong. Like Rocky Race says, "Turn and face".

P.S. Great job on the 300s yesterday—you're obviously in better shape than you thought. Next stop: world record!

So that’s what Paddy the Kenyan had to say about the race. I’ll do my race report tomorrow…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I apologise for besmirching the reputation of the Stazza system!

I'm still waiting for a decent result from the "Stazza system". I'll issue a challenge right now to all comers (excluding JakeK)- if anyone can beat me using shunts/ yo yos/ AIS and the Stazza system over the next 9 months, I'll eat my hat. (includes you Stazza) :D:D:D

*this post may have been alcohol assisted…….oops :(

drquirky wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a decent result from the "Stazza system". I'll issue a challenge right now to all comers (excluding JakeK)- if anyone can beat me using shunts/ yo yos/ AIS and the Stazza system over the next 9 months, I'll eat my hat. (includes you Stazza) :D:D:D

This time, you've overstepped the mark, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I passed PtK at mile 24 - we chatted a bit, he tried to hang on for a while but then was gone. I felt really sorry for him, he put a lot of work into this and the result was obviously very disappointing.

I wouldn't read too much into it as far as the Stazza system is concerned, though. So far it's one bad race, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

To paddy the keynan - sorry to read about your race. Not a faIr result after all those savage long runs. I reckon the weight loss is significant. In dcm 11 I had the runs for a day just before, and despite hitting all the numbers in training, feeling fine at the start and following a good plan to the letter I started to slow at 13 and was on the side of the road by 15. On race morning I noticed id lost weight too, and it was unseansobly warm. If you lose weight while you are supposed to be chomping on carbohydrate its not good. The marathon is all about fuel.

sounds like you were unlucky, you will spank the next one. rest up.

I'll issue a challenge right now to all comers (excluding JakeK)

Why don't I count?!? ;)

Sorry to hear that Paddy had a meltdown. That last minute weight loss isn't a good thing... if anything you usually want to feel a little heavy the day before. The only time I really blew up in a marathon (Philly 2011) I dropped weight the week of the race.

I just wrapped up "phase one" of my spring workouts... I'll work on putting together a nice little summary tomorrow and post it when I have it done. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now. Ready to go on the attack over the next 8 weeks and smash my 1/2 PR.

jakek wrote: »
    Why don't I count?!? ;)

Cause you'd completely destroy me :D

This time, you've overstepped the mark, son.

Yeah- not trying to come off like a bollix. Hard luck to Paddy the Kenyan - I've been there and its not a nice feeling.

• Advertisement

*this post may have been alcohol assisted…….oops :(

Been there, done that - many times; don't worry about it. But if you're up for it, I'll accept the challenge:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement