Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Tralee International Marathon

Last year's TIM, the inaugural race, was a cracker. I think my daughter G, my dad, and I, were the only people to witness it in its totality. The media covered the race as a fun run and hardly even mentioned the winners’ names. And yet, it was arguably the biggest sporting event to ever take place in The Kingdom. JC led from the start to the 23rd mile and was eventually hunted down by PM. PM went on to win and JC held out for second. When the prizes were handed out my daughter, G, mentioned how sad JC looked and I told her that’s what the marathon can do to a person. So, she was all excited when she found out JC was returning to have another go, surely he would win. He knew the course and the hills and all that. But when I told G that G O’H was running her face dropped. But then when I explained the mythological status of G O’H and his trials and tribulations, she was keen to get out on the course and see if the man matched the legendary billing; she also wanted to watch Paddy the Kenyan do the business and get his rewards for all his hard work.

We linked up with Dad (driving duties) and headed out to the 7 mile marker. I explained to both of them that G O’H was using this as a training run for Rotterdam and that he’d probably run about 2:28 if the hills didn’t get the better of him.

‘But surely he’ll coast over the hills,’ G said, star-struck without having seen the man. No doubt, beguiled by my now exaggerated mythologizing.

The plan was to give PtK a slug of PowerAde at 7-10-13-16-19. He had a drink sorted for mile 4. We stepped out onto the road into the rain and could feel the breeze. Not a bother to PtK, I thought. And then, in the distance the flashing lights of the lead car and the first glimpse of G O’H.

‘Go on Gazza,’ I said. ‘You’re looking nice and relaxed.’ (How cliché).

Majestic would have been better, if a tad OTT. He seemed to be gliding across the ground. It was clear that although this was a training run, he was taking it seriously. He looked focused and workman –like and yet he still found the time to thank us for the support – which I found surprising.

‘What are those socks all about?’ G asked. ‘Really, a grown man wearing socks pulled up to his knees.’

I began to explain the dubious plusses of compression socks etc when she interrupted me to tell me JC was coming. He too was going well and looked like he meant business. Shortly after, JD came along, looking very relaxed. We let him know what was what and he said, ‘I’m not chasing G O’H.’ But he did look fresh after last weekend’s 53:XX @ the Ballycotton 10.

A few more runners went through and then came PtK, looking very fresh and easy. He took his drink and let me know that he was bang on schedule - 6:35 pace. Easy-peasy, I thought. Sit there in 8th and move through to 4th once you get to 18 miles…

We jumped back in the car and headed on to Barrow Hill – an out and back section up a ridiculous hill (more because of where it is on the route than anything else – a real glycogen sapper).

When G O’H came through, he seemed to be looking for a drink. Instinctively, I pulled out a fresh bottle of PowerAde – berry flavour and told him what it was. I suspect that G O’H had the sagacity to work out that he’d need fuel after Barrow Hill. He took the drink and in that split second it was like the coming together of two legends: Gazza and Stazza; Gazza the running legend with grace, charm, and class and Stazza, a legend in his own mind at lunchtime. I’m sure I heard the rumble of thunder and a flash of lightning strike across the dull sky. The Gods knew that this was merely the first meeting of these two demi-gods. Their paths are destined to collide in the future on the battlefield of running immortality (who writes this ****e).

Then came JC, he too took a slurp of PowerAde and smiled his thanks and appreciation at my perspicacity. G was delighted that JC took a drink – she didn’t want him to have a meltdown later. JD came through in third but didn’t need a drink; he looked very relaxed and was chatty. Then the others came through and PtK was still in 8th and looking good. He took his drink and gently dropped it at G’s feet and uttered salutations and thanks.

‘He’s so nice,’ G said, getting into the car.

We zipped on to just before the 13 mile mark. Can’t remember if G O’H took a drink. But he was running strong. Then came JC and he seemed to be flying. I held out a drink and he missed it.

‘Go after him Dad,’ G said. 'Go on, he’ll need it.'

So, fresh from my recent session of 300’s I set off up the hill after JC. He looked over his shoulder and must have thought, who is this fruitcake? But I knew he needed fuel. He took the drink and smiled his thanks. At least it must have kept him smiling through the hills.

When JD came through, again he didn’t take a drink. But he asked if we could meet him at 16 because that was where he was going to start making a move. Good move, I thought.

Same order up until PtK. He took his drink and again, gently dropped it at G’s feet and said, ‘Hi G.’ She came running down the hill with a big smile and said, ‘Come on, we need to be at 16 for Gazza and JC and JD and PtK.’

On the drive to 16 she mentioned that she thought PtK didn’t look right. That he looked very pale. I ignored her words but it's strange how an 11 year old could see things that The Running Master couldn’t.

When G O’H came through 16 on the way out of Fenit, he still looked controlled and relaxed. He didn’t take a drink – maybe the Gods that watch over him warned him not to show any signs of weakness in front of me – you know, incase it gave me an advantage when eventually we compete in the same race. We didn’t see G O’H after this point. He went on to win in 2:26:XX – an outstanding run on that course, especially given that it was a training run for Rotterdam. A pleasure to have witnessed such a fine display of running.

When JC came through 16 and saw the PowerAde crew, he smiled and took his medicine and powered on.

JD came through, still looking very fresh, but didn’t take a drink. And while we waited for PtK to do the out and back along the pier – the 3hr group came through. They looked like a young pack of wolves, the scent of blood in their nostrils; I knew the young lad, ecoli, was in there somewhere but I didn’t spot him. And then the main man came through, Thomas the mod. Decked out in orange and looking very relaxed.

As ecoli –aka, the Leader of the Pack - and the wolves headed out towards the pier, PtK came along.

‘I’m sorry,' he said. 'I’ve gone.’

‘You’ll be ok, the wind’s on your back now. Just relax.’

He was gone with his drink. He almost stopped and placed the drink at G’s feet. I knew then that G was right. Today was going to be a long day for PtK. He did look pale and his eyes were full of pain. I was overcome with a strange feeling of helplessness – a kind of paternal angst. How can I take the pain from you?

‘Come on, Dad, we need to get to 18.’

We headed on out to 18 and waited on the roadside. I got out of the car and strolled up and down, looking at my watch and trying to work out splits. When PtK came through 18 he was still in 8th and only a minute behind 7th place. It looked like a few people were beginning to suffer. Maybe he’ll pick things up from the top of Spa hill, I thought.

He took his drink and it was clear that he was truly spent. My dad had walked on up the road to give him a shout. But when he returned to the car, he just shook his head. We waited and watched the pack of wolves cruise through. I spotted the 3hr pacer T-Shirt of ecoli and gave him a shout. He looked over his shoulder and then turned back quickly to the job of hunting down wounded carrion and taking his team to the 3hr goal. The young wolves all looked fresh and fierce. I feared for PtK. Surely they would catch him and leave his remains for the buzzards.

We travelled in silence to the 23 mile mark. G O’H had already gone through. We watched JC power on through the 23 mile mark – still smiling and clearly having a good day. G was delighted for him. JC’s resurrection.

Then came JD – he told us he was fine but his leg had gone. Maybe his excellent run in Ballycotton was taking its toll.

The runners came through. No sign of PtK. Then the wolves came, all of them looking alert and lean and still hungry for success. I gave ecoli a cheeky little shout as he glided through. I managed to study his form as he ran on. In fairness, after 23 miles he was moving smoothly and didn’t look in any bother. And without wishing to sound patronizing, for somebody so young, he did an outstanding job of bringing home his pack.

Minutes later, PtK came along. He stopped and walked for a few seconds.

‘Sorry,' he said.

‘Nothing to be sorry for. Do you want to stop?’

At that, he gave me a look to suggest I was mad.

‘No, I’ll finish,' he said, jogging off.

We watched Thomas the mod come flying through. He was motoring along. And it has to be said, he's quite tall.

From 23 miles they did a loop that brought them back around to near where we were waiting and from there, they only had about 400m to go. We watched ecoli go through, still looking very strong. His pack had split and it was a free-for-all.

Thomas stormed through and we waited for PtK. When I saw him coming down the road, I crossed over and caught him just as he stopped to walk. He kept apologizing. There was no need to apologize. It was clear that he was absolutely gutted.

I explained to him that G was sick and I needed to get her home and out of the wet etc, so I wouldn’t go on to the finish. His eyes were glazed. A spectator encouraged him to run on. And then he looked at me with all the innocence and vulnerability of a child – I didn’t know what to say or do. There’s something beautiful in seeing a man completely smashed. For 5 months he trained hard and deserved to run 2:50. Physiologically, everything suggested 2:50 or better on this course (a 20 min pb). But in the end, the marathon crushed him. I told him I’d email him later (how trite). And I left him there on the road, broken and crushed. I watched as he tried to plod on.

But as I walked away and left him to deal with his agony, I knew why that moment was special, why it was so beautiful to see him utterly annihilated; dead – next year, like JC did this year, Paddy the Kenyan will be rise from the dead and people will talk about his resurrection.

Jakers, can you imagine what it’ll be like when I actually get around to racing…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Stazza wrote: »
    Been there, done that - many times; don't worry about it. But if you're up for it, I'll accept the challenge:)

I'll have to crack the whip in sessions to have him ready so :p

Took me a min to connect the dots yesterday regarding who was cheering us on that far out on the course (though the accent was the biggest clue that finally gave it away)

Good to finally put a face to the commentary

Regarding PtK, will definitely come back from it that course is unforgiving without a doubt and so many points or the case which could make or break marathons and looking at the results I think the amount of DNF's will attest to that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

First race report I've ever read here from someone not actually racing. And a really interesting perspective too. Thanks Stazza. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Not often that you get such a great report from a spectator. I'm going to have to fly you over to ghost-write my blog entry for the Olympic Trials in a couple years.

I've whipped up a summary of my last 7 weeks of training... I'll save it for tomorrow, though, because PtK's race and Stazza's recap deserve full attention for the today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Enjoyed the read but not the outcome. Really captures how the wheels can come off in the marathon and take you apart. No doubt he will be back stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

He took the drink and in that split second it was like the coming together of two legends: Gazza and Stazza; Gazza the running legend with grace, charm, and class and Stazza, a legend in his own mind at lunchtime. I’m sure I heard the rumble of thunder and a flash of lightning strike across the dull sky. The Gods knew that this was merely the first meeting of these two demi-gods. Their paths are destined to collide in the future on the battlefield of running immortality (who writes this ****e).

:D
    Love it!

Tough luck to PtK - but you are right - next year will be a better year.
    What's your 1st thoughts of what happened to him??

:D
    Love it!

Tough luck to PtK - but you are right - next year will be a better year.
    What's your 1st thoughts of what happened to him??

I'm not sure but I strongly suspect that he was fighting off some sort of illness. I'll find out later/tomorrow. He was defo in good enough condition to run 2:50 on there, in those conditions. In fact, I thought he'd run 2:48/49.

Three weeks before the race, in the storms, he could have carried on during his 21 miler and run around 2:55 without the benefit of a taper etc - no bother. I'll have a chat with him and see what's what.

I know that I can speak for PtK and say thanks for all the good wishes - it'll mean a lot to him.

And I'll just explain the thing about Thomas' height:

We both read Thomas' blog and chat about what he writes. Recently Thomas was talking about his weight and I was telling PtK that Thomas is actually taller than you might think and although gaunt (in a good running way) he's not skinny (in a bad way). Bottom line, it was kudos to Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Enjoyed the read but not the outcome. Really captures how the wheels can come off in the marathon and take you apart. No doubt he will be back stronger.

+1

That's why I love it.
    What a challenge!
    Hopefully he nails it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great report, really enjoyed reading it. I think you offered me some encourgement around the 18 mile mark (memory is a bit fuzzy) . I was just catching up with the pacing group after a quick pit-stop so thanks! It was tough out there on Sunday. The race will make him a stronger and better runner for sure. As mentioned, the weight loss is not a good sign. Great run by GoH, especially as he got lost in a carpark after the lead bike got a bit confused at the turn point just after mile 10. Cost him a good bit of time. Saw him doing a 40 minute run just after the marathon too :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report, really enjoyed reading it. I think you offered me some encourgement around the 18 mile mark (memory is a bit fuzzy) . I was just catching up with the pacing group after a quick pit-stop so thanks! It was tough out there on Sunday. The race will make him a stronger and better runner for sure. As mentioned, the weight loss is not a good sign. Great run by GoH, especially as he got lost in a carpark after the lead bike got a bit confused at the turn point just after mile 10. Cost him a good bit of time. Saw him doing a 40 minute run just after the marathon too :eek:

he says he ran an extra half a mile (26.88 miles at the end) so he probably would have done 2:23.

Great report Stazza. Glad to see JC did so well, he has had a few problems with marathon distance over the years I think? so hopefully he can kick on from this one.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I did indeed give you some encouragement and well done - that was a great run, especially as it was a training run!

My daughter, G, is off school - just a head cold - and I was telling her/developing the G O'H myths that G O'H popped into the golf club for a pint at 10 miles. She wasn't having it: she said, 'they wouldn't let him in wearing those socks.':D

menoscemo wrote: »
    he says he ran an extra half a mile (26.88 miles at the end) so he probably would have done 2:23.

Great report Stazza. Glad to see JC did so well, he has had a few problems with marathon distance over the years I think? so hopefully he can kick on from this one.

An extra half mile:eek: Must've got lost looking for the bar in the golf club. Half a mile - that's some handicap in a marathon.

Looks like he's going to have a cracking run in Rotterdam. Hope so, it'll be good to see all his hard work and general decency be rewarded.

Monday 17th March

a.m. 8 miles easy.
    p.m. 6 miles easy.

AIS before and after both runs.

(14)

Tuesday 18th March

a.m. 10 miles incl 2x 10 mins @ LT(ish) off 2 mins. Planned to do 6x(5 mins on – 1 min off – 1 min on) 3 min rec between sets, but because G was off school didn’t have time, so I had to change things around. And as it turned out, it was rather fortuitous. I think it makes more sense to work on developing my LT runs before doing the shunts; can’t believe I didn’t see that when planning my training.

So, did 4 miles warm-up with four pick-ups and a couple of quick marching drills and then got straight into it.

1st rep. Tried to run at the effort I thought I could hold for 8-10 miles. I felt much smoother this week compared to last week's 3x8 mins. The AP was 5:38 and I recovered quickly – so the effort was bang on.

2nd rep was slightly uphill and the AP was 5:42. Again, felt very comfortable.

Next week I’ll do a straight 20 mins.

p.m. 6 miles ez.

(16)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Hey guys (I assume it's 99% men reading this forum ;) )...

Just a quick update for those interested. A summary of my last 7 weeks of training here (expanded view) and here (slightly more condensed view).

Training has been going well. Just stacking up the building blocks, so to speak. I ran the Phoenix 1/2 in 1:07:00, not a stellar time, but we were facing adverse weather and I beat a 1:05/2:17 guy to win the race, that was was good.

Now I'm moving into some multi-pace sessions (400s, 800s, 1600s) and the LT Shuffles (which I'll start tomorrow). The big test will be on April 6th in my 10 mile race. I'd like to run well under 5:00 pace there. I'm also sneaking in a 5000m on the track (during a work trip) on March 28th... that will be interesting!

Wednesday 19th March

a.m. 6 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles ez.

(12)

Met up with Paddy the Kenyan this morning – he’s looking a bit better than when I last saw him. Still gutted but in good form and by the time I left him I felt I was able to have joke at his expense. I told him as his penance he had to run the Tralee 100k.

Given the 2lb weight loss on the day before the race instead of the expected 2lb gain, the sudden and unexplainable rise in body temp at 12.5 miles and the ensuing feeling of flatness and inertness, plus the obvious dehydration, it would appear that he’d been fighting off some sort of bug. He was still feeling ropey today.

He’s taking a week off and we’ve discussed some options. I’m in favour of him using the last 5-6 months as a kind of aerobic super-base. If he drops in some LT work and them some 10k – 5k pace stuff I think he’d be well set for some huge pb's from the half down to 5k. But we’ll see…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

He’s taking a week off and we’ve discussed some options. I’m in favour of him using the last 5-6 months as a kind of aerobic super-base. If he drops in some LT work and them some 10k – 5k pace stuff I think he’d be well set for some huge pb's from the half down to 5k. But we’ll see…
    Is he not tempted to wait 3-4 weeks and have another crack (at a slightly less optimal target)? In similar circumstances in the past, I ran a second marathon 4 weeks after the initial marathon that didn't go to plan treating the initial marathon as a training run). It won't really help with the longer term goals, but does offer closure from that specific chapter of training and helps with the motivation for the next chapter.

BTW: Tell him to join Boards!

Is he not tempted to wait 3-4 weeks and have another crack (at a slightly less optimal target)? In similar circumstances in the past, I ran a second marathon 4 weeks after the initial marathon that didn't go to plan treating the initial marathon as a training run). It won't really help with the longer term goals, but does offer closure from that specific chapter of training and helps with the motivation for the next chapter.

That's a good point/idea. We did chat, briefly, about Killarney - I think it is in May. What do you think PtK? Although he isn't on the Boards, he does read them when he gets a chance. I think he's too busy to join: he's doing some big studying - international big study stuff that I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good point, last year after Rotterdam, I ran for fun, raced some shorter distances, ate and drank like a Lord and 4 weeks later hit my goal in Kildare.

Thursday 20th March

a.m. 6 miles ez.
    p.m. 6 miles incl drills and 4x8 sec hill blasts. Here’s a scene: a boreen colonnaded by trees. Birdsong. Babbling brook. The pitter-patter of Stazza’s Nike Flyknits zipping up the slope. And here’s a closer look: a legend in the making:pac::pac::pac::pac:

AIS before and after both runs

(12)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Stazza, lad, a simple, simple question for ya. These hill blasts, does one do literally 8 seconds per 'blast'? So, you flake up a hill for 8 to 10 seconds, recover and repeat?

Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Stazza, lad, a simple, simple question for ya. These hill blasts, does one do literally 8 seconds per 'blast'? So, you flake up a hill for 8 to 10 seconds, recover and repeat?

Or am I missing something?

Good question. The way I do them is like this:

3 miles progressive warm up.
    Drills.
    Then run them focusing on form – I run them flat out but try to stay tall and pop off the ground while staying relaxed throughout. You don’t scamper up the hill. It’s more like a slightly exaggerated sprint action. When you hit the 8 sec mark you can feel it kick in. I just timed the first one, got my mark, and now use that mark without any time.

I walk back down and walk about for 3+ mins before getting into the next one.

It’s really important not to jog down, turn around and then go again. You need to wait about 3 mins for the energy systems that are employed in the sprints to recover. The energy systems/sources last between 5 secs and 15 secs. The systems utilized are, ATP – immediate; Phoshagen (CP) – 5-6 secs; myokinase system (2ADP’s to make one ATP and one AMK).

The Phoshagen system is the key here and needs the full 3 mins for the aerobic system to convert Creatine back into CP.

If you jog back and go again without taking the full rest the session is pointless.

It really is a great little workout that leaves you buzzing and it’s so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

You're flying it at the minute Stazza. Have you any races planned yet?

pa4 wrote: »
    You're flying it at the minute Stazza. Have you any races planned yet?

Thanks.

I haven’t really started training yet. Tomorrow’s my first real session. I’ve had to wait for the leg to fully heal. I did Jay Dicharry’s 10 Tests today and did well on all except for Test 10: Single-leg Squat with eyes closed – reminded me of my drinking days.

I’m trying to work out what to do: I think I’m going to get stuck straight into a modified multi-pace system for the next 12 weeks, working on 1500m-3k-5k-10k/3k shuffles.

The sessions will be
    8x400m @ 1500m pace.
    5x800m @ 3k pace.
    4x1600m @ 5k pace
    10x(1k @ 10k pace – 100 jog in 60 secs – 300 @ 3k pace) 400 jog in 3 mins between sets, building to: 5x(2k @10k pace – 100 jog in 60 secs – 300 @ 3k pace) 400 etc
    I’ll do the hill blasts too. Everything else will be easy running with AIS, strides, drills, and soft tissue work.

Starting in May, I’m planning on introducing some races – just to see how things are progressing etc.

I need to join a club…

EDIT
    Sorry for not asking, how are things with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Who in Ireland would be as good as Jay Dicharry? Would love to go have my foot checked.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Who in Ireland would be as good as Jay Dicharry? Would love to go have my foot checked.

I wouldn't know: I was trying to find somebody to sort mine out. Because of my contacts - with the Gods - I think they felt it was time for me to get back on track, and therefore, they intervened. I could have a word:D

Seriously, I don't know; ecoli seems to know what he's on about and I'm sure if he couldn't help, he'd be able to refer you on to somebody who could...

I wouldn't know: I was trying to find somebody to sort mine out. Because of my contacts - with the Gods - I think they felt it was time for me to get back on track, and therefore, they intervened. I could have a word:D

Seriously, I don't know; ecoli seems to know what he's on about and I'm sure if he couldn't help, he'd be able to refer you on to somebody who could...

I'm convinced the gods are saving my best for a later date. But yes pray for my weak foot mechanics!

I've to give Ecoli a shout anyway for help with something else! He worked on me before wonder does he remember the wolf!

I know for a fact that he knows all too well who you are:D

I know for a fact that he knows all too well who you are:D

I hope that's in a positive way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Thanks.

I haven’t really started training yet. Tomorrow’s my first real session. I’ve had to wait for the leg to fully heal. I did Jay Dicharry’s 10 Tests today and did well on all except for Test 10: Single-leg Squat with eyes closed – reminded me of my drinking days.

I’m trying to work out what to do: I think I’m going to get stuck straight into a modified multi-pace system for the next 12 weeks, working on 1500m-3k-5k-10k/3k shuffles.

The sessions will be
    8x400m @ 1500m pace.
    5x800m @ 3k pace.
    4x1600m @ 5k pace
    10x(1k @ 10k pace – 100 jog in 60 secs – 300 @ 3k pace) 400 jog in 3 mins between sets, building to: 5x(2k @10k pace – 100 jog in 60 secs – 300 @ 3k pace) 400 etc
    I’ll do the hill blasts too. Everything else will be easy running with AIS, strides, drills, and soft tissue work.

Starting in May, I’m planning on introducing some races – just to see how things are progressing etc.

I need to join a club…

EDIT
    Sorry for not asking, how are things with you?

Good stuff Stazza! What's Day Dicharry's 10 tests? Sounds like a fun challenge! Come the summer you'll be spoiled for choice with regards races anyway :)

I'm flying it anyway :) Trainings going well and I'm feeling better than ever. To be honest I've never been enjoying running as much as I am now. I've 5 weeks down working already and although I'm up at 6:30am every morning I seem to have more energy and even my normal easy run paces have become quicker. I think it's because I'm in such a good routine and eating/sleeping more and I'm more active in work than I was in college so I'm not sitting around all day.

I've a few more races planned for the near future. The Munster road champs or Leevale Sports 3k (will decide which one on Monday), the Intervarsity T&F 5000m, a local 5km road race at the end of April which is a fast course and always has a high standard and then in May is the Munster U.23 T&F 5000m which I won last year so will have to try and retain the title :p I've a few more planned for the summer but there're the ones I'll concentrate on for the moment.

• Advertisement

pa4 wrote: »
    Good stuff Stazza! What's Day Dicharry's 10 tests? Sounds like a fun challenge! Come the summer you'll be spoiled for choice with regards races anyway :)

I'm flying it anyway :) Trainings going well and I'm feeling better than ever. To be honest I've never been enjoying running as much as I am now. I've 5 weeks down working already and although I'm up at 6:30am every morning I seem to have more energy and even my normal easy run paces have become quicker. I think it's because I'm in such a good routine and eating/sleeping more and I'm more active in work than I was in college so I'm not sitting around all day.

I've a few more races planned for the near future. The Munster road champs or Leevale Sports 3k (will decide which one on Monday), the Intervarsity T&F 5000m, a local 5km road race at the end of April which is a fast course and always has a high standard and then in May is the Munster U.23 T&F 5000m which I won last year so will have to try and retain the title :p I've a few more planned for the summer but there're the ones I'll concentrate on for the moment.

Great to hear that things are going well and that you're coping with the world of work:)

If only I were U.23 again; for the next 9 months or so, I'll have to settle for being U.50:). Winning the U.23 Munster 5000m was good going. I'm sure you'll be good for it again this year.

I'm trying to sort out my races and get my head around the system. Do you have to win the County Champ's to qualify for the Munster Champ's and then win the Munster Champ's to qualify for the nationals, or can you just rock up on your Zimmer frame? Also, although I doubt you'll know the answer to this, can a pensioner run in the senior Champ's or do they/we have to stay in with the oldies?

There's a good chance we'll be racing each other over the summer - I'll sharpen my spikes elbows.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement