Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't really keep a training log anymore :(. Yeah i think a fastish marathon and a steady 50k would be too much so I'll just keep to plan of running both at 7:40/mile (ish). I have done this kind of thing a few times before, in fact of my previous 3 Marathon PB's I set 2 of them the week after a 30+ mile run (the first of which was a pretty hard 50k)....ok the marathons weren't my goal race (conn Ultra was) at the time but still....

I have a Half planned for 4 week out that would be run at PMP (as part of a 20-22 miler) but I am committing the cardinal error of racing another half 7 weeks out :o.

Thanks for your advice all the same!!

I wouldn't worry too much about doing a half 7 weeks out - I'm sure you'll be fine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Stazza wrote: »
    Monday 13th Jan
    ...I told him the Linford story, which I will post later in the week ...

You still owe us that one!

You still owe us that one!

Once the kids are tucked in bed tonight, I will begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I spotted your name on the ARist in the spotlight thread and I was keen to see who the new yoda/tergat is..... definitely worth my trip over here to your log!
    Very best of luck with your goal and training.
    The Stazza System sounds very interesting... I'm off now to research a good 2015 Spring marathon...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Marthastew wrote: »
    The Stazza System sounds very interesting... I'm off now to research a good 2015 Spring marathon...........

Is Maria Mc not good enough for you anymore? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Once the kids are tucked in bed tonight, I will begin...

There had better be hookers, cocaine, rock 'n' roll, Linford and an all mighty gang bang. This story has been hyped up more than the latest release of an Apple product ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    I spotted your name on the ARist in the spotlight thread and I was keen to see who the new yoda/tergat is..... definitely worth my trip over here to your log!
    Very best of luck with your goal and training.

Thanks, but I think you've mistaken me for somebody else - most people, when they refer to me, would say, 'Yada, yada, yada,' rather than 'yoda'.

'Did you see what I did there, Pinky?'
    'No Brain.'
    'I've duped them pinky. All of them.'
    'How Brain?'
    'They will think I'm a beautiful human being, humble and modest to boot.'
    'Yes, Brain, I see.'
    'Now then Pinky, I've lulled them into a false sense of security. We can now take over The Boards.'
    'How Brain?'
    'Well Pinky, when I start my gig tonight, you can start killing them, one by one.'
    'What gig?'
    'I'm doing Bedtime Story with Stazza.'
    'That's very clever Brain, but will they suspect anything?'
    'No Pinky, they're runners - self obsessed; they'll be too busy foam rolling their ITB's and admiring their skeletal frames - they'll be too preoccupied to notice you. And they'll be under the spell of my magic words.'
    'How nice Brain. What's your story called?'
    'Good Christie Hunting.'
    'Brilliant Brain. Brilliant.'
    'And when they're all dead, we'll bring in Paddy the Kenyan.'
    'Is he your imaginary friend, the one training for the Tralee Marathon?'
    'He's real. Now, scoot.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

:D:D:D
    Thanks, but I think you've mistaken me for somebody else - most people, when they refer to me, would say, 'Yada, yada, yada,' rather than 'yoda'.

'Did you see what I did there, Pinky?'
    'No Brain.'
    'I've duped them pinky. All of them.'
    'How Brain?'
    'They will think I'm a beautiful human being, humble and modest to boot.'
    'Yes, Brain, I see.'
    'Now then Pinky, I've lulled them into a false sense of security. We can now take over The Boards.'
    'How Brain?'
    'Well Pinky, when I start my gig tonight, you can start killing them, one by one.'
    'What gig?'
    'I'm doing Bedtime Story with Stazza.'
    'That's very clever Brain, but will they suspect anything?'
    'No Pinky, they're runners - self obsessed; they'll be too busy foam rolling their ITB's and admiring their skeletal frames - they'll be too preoccupied to notice you. And they'll be under the spell of my magic words.'
    'How nice Brain. What's your story called?'
    'Good Christie Hunting.'
    'Brilliant Brain. Brilliant.'
    'And when they're all dead, we'll bring in Paddy the Kenyan.'
    'Is he your imaginary friend, the one training for the Tralee Marathon?'
    'He's real. Now, scoot.'
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Is AIS normal static stretching or foam rolling type stretching?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

pa4 wrote: »

I've googled that already!

http://www.hartmann-international.com/Articles/5/Hope-on-a-rope.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

It would be closer to static stretching but would be more developmental than maintenance with regards a muscles range of movement. You are basically using a rope/ band to stretch the muscle beyond its normal range of movement in order to retrain the sensory receptors in the muscle to allow increased range of movement.

Edit: You need to engage your antagonistic muscles to allow extended range of movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

ecoli wrote: »
    It would be closer to static stretching but would be more developmental than maintenance with regards a muscles range of movement. You are basically using a rope/ band to stretch the muscle beyond its normal range of movement in order to retrain the sensory receptors in the muscle to allow increased range of movement.

Would you do it straight after a run or could you just do it in the evening?

Good Christie Hunting

In Memoriam - Dr Bernard Henry 1965-2007

Without fail, every Tuesday and Friday lunchtime Dr Bernard Henry would saunter into the clinic, strip down to his boxers, adopt the prone position on the treatment couch, and enjoy the pleasure of Stazza’s masterful hands. Bernard never paid for a massage or treatment. Not because he was 6”6’ and a good bit more, nor was it because he was an elite 200m runner for Thames Valley Harriers. To be in the presence of Bernard Henry was recompense enough for any service provided. A beautiful man.

But on this day, I witnessed a darker side of this beautiful man, a side that would have made Mike Tyson quake in his little black boxing booties and think twice before accepting a challenge to a fight to the death. And as we all know, everything is about fights to the death and arm wrestling.

Working on Bernard was always a bit of a wrestle for me. The muscularity of the man and the size of his limbs made it difficult to work on him, especially given the fact that I’m a mere 5”7’. Granted, because of my skills in the noble art of pugilism, you’d want me on your side in a tear-up. All the same, Bernard was tough to work on.

When I close my eyes and try to recall the events of the day, I see Bernard’s beautiful black body glistening in the sunlight; the soft scent of grape seed oil inhabits my nostrils and the smoothness of his skin soothes my mind as I begin with effleurage. Above his head, a fuss of dust mites frolic and skirr. And if a genie were to suddenly appear and transmute me into one of the mites, I suspect their soft whispers would laud the muscularity and unspoken ease of the man.

As my hands move from effleurage to petrissage we talk about many things. Maybe Nietzsche, maybe Keats, possibly U.S. history; he loved a good oxymoron. Whatever about the warm up, the conversation definitely moved onto British Athletics.

‘Who do you prefer, Coe or Christie?’
    ‘Coe, without a doubt,’ I say.
    ‘Why?’

I go on to expound my opinions of Christie, which are merely founded on reports in newspapers and magazines that state certain things have been proven.

Slowly, he turns on the bed. I take my hands away and think, what’s this all about. The mites skedaddle. The sun disappears behind a cloud and a chill fills the room. I study his face. White teeth that would shame an American. Eyebrows that hint that this is a man that takes male grooming seriously. His eyes have a look that cast a spell you’d imagine only the devil Himself could cast. This is not the icy stare of respect and fear that fighters meet in the centre of the ring. There’s a vacancy in his eyes that suggest he has the answers to questions he hasn’t even asked, yet.

‘Linford’s my best friend.’

To be continued.

If you look up 'Hope on a rope' the a good article by Ger Hartmann that explains it pretty well. I do before and after all runs, without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Seriously man, you should copyright this thread!

Thursday 16th Jan

a.m. 7 miles with Paddy the Kenyan. Legs felt much better and I’m pretty confident that the injury/tweak is now 100%. Kept the pace nice and ez. Paddy was mullered after a monster session the previous day – he’s now replaced Thomas the Mod as the favourite to win the Tralee marathon.

p.m. 6.5 progression. Decided to give it a bit more of an effort. Started out very slow –probably 9 min pace and gradually and smoothly (apologies for the adverbs) moved through the gears. Probably got up to LT for the final mile. Thought about moving on to 5k pace and then on to 3k pace for the final 2 mins but erred on the side of caution. Very pleased with how things are progressing. Although I’m a long way off from 15:22 shape, I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.

Friday 17th Jan

a.m. 6 miles ez. The old lady had the day off and she headed out for her 6 miler and then I went out about 10 mins later. The wife’s too embarrassed to run with me – she knows I’ll mess about…

So when I was approaching the half way point of my out back along the canal route, I spotted a little lady striding out like a good un – giving it root-toot. Ecky thump, I thought, this little treacle looks like she might be worth a cheeky little hello. As she got closer, I realised it was the old lady. I dropped to the ground and started doing push ups. She stopped and said,

‘What on earth are you doing.’

I kept banging them out

‘Would you ever stop that nonsense. Quit now. I want you to quit, now!'

I rolled over and through clenched teeth I spat out, ‘I got no where else to go.’

p.m. 6 miles at good clip out and back along the canal. Feeling good.

AIS and all the malarkey before and after all runs

44997743.jpg

:)
    'Did you see that, Pinky?'
    'Yes, Brain.'
    'Next Thursday, during Bedtime Story with Stazza, get that balatron first.'
    'Yes, Brain.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Hi stazza. Is that 15.22 record track or road? When do you think you will be fit enough to try and chase it? Any build up races? It's a very lofty target, what are your recent 5k times like, I seen you mentioned a 10k in another log but that was from 2000 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Irish Masters records are officiated by the Irish Masters Athletics associaton (IMAA). They are available at http://www.irishmastersathletics.com/index.asp
    The o45 mens' track record is held by Jim McNamara at 14:48.4 set back in 1984. Mick Traynor holds the o45 road record at 15:22. The o50 records are 15:15.3 track and 16:30 road. However, the road record is regularly beaten (Gerry Doyle ran 16:16 in Jingle Bells and a similar time in a race earler this year). You have to apply to have your record confirmed, so some records don't get updated.

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Hi stazza. Is that 15.22 record track or road? When do you think you will be fit enough to try and chase it? Any build up races? It's a very lofty target, what are your recent 5k times like, I seen you mentioned a 10k in another log but that was from 2000 I think.

As Oldrunner said, it's the road. I wouldn't get a sniff at the track record for a number of reasons. The main reason being that even under perfect conditions, with perfect training, I still wouldn't be capable of getting in that sort of shape this year - I've only been back running a touch over two years and the first 18 months of that was shedding weight, staying off the drink and smokes, and building miles.

Also, the road record is going to be a very tough ask. I set my original goal as 15:35. I thought, and still think, that's doable. When Krusty mentioned the record, I decided to give it a crack.

I did the Puck Warriors 10k at the end of November 2013 - without any faster work. (If you want to see what a handsome devil I am, there are pictures on the facebook page. I'm the one wearing the flyknit racers, orange T-shirt, and carrying my right leg - even before it twangs.) I had somewhere in the region of 10-12 weeks averaging around 110 mpw (with a long run and some high end aerobic work). Did the race and was feeling very comfortable. At about the 4.5k mark I thought, get to 6k and then drop the two lads (Michael Dullea and Ed Murphy; Ed's a 15:40 5k guy and funny to go with it; the third lad - young one in orange vest - did the 5k and won in 16:34. The 5k turned off after about 2 miles(ish) so we were probably pootling along at about 33 min pace and I felt very easy; suggests I was in about 16 min shape for 5k without any specific training). But we hit a downhill section and one of the lads, Michael Dullea, increased the pace and as I tried to go with them I damaged my achilles, peroneals, and soleus - nothing serious, they went into protection mode. I had to slow down and let the lads go. Things got worse - I followed them off course (long story) and then when I was called back the right way, I went off course again (it was pretty funny but you had to be there).

No running in December - plenty of eating; gained 10lbs. Started back at the end of December. Weight's dropping nicely. Leg has healed. The training and racing schedule is taking shape - I'll post it when I've got it sorted. Rough plan is to drop out a race in April; if you fancy taking me on:P - Ballybunion 10k or the Killarney 5 miler - benchmark race. Not expecting anything special - so maybe you should come and give it me:).

I've booked a villa just outside Alicante so I can spend a month (July) warm weather training at Sport City, when I get back from there, I hope to be in about 15:45 shape. From there on in, it'll be all about inching closer towards that 15:22 mark. But I have got my eye on a marathon in 2015, was thinking spring but now thinking Autumn - not sure.

I think, if I'm getting the subtext of your post, you're asking do I really think I can do it or am I giving it the large, and if I do believe I can do it, then when will I do it? The answer is, I'm not blagging it and I don't know if I'll do it. If I can stay healthy, and that's a big part of it - if I don't, that's my fault and that counts as failure - then I will be there or there abouts, that's for sure. But I will be gunning for it from August through November.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

oldrunner wrote: »
    Mick Traynor holds the o45 road record at 15:22.

Just as an aside. Jerry Kiernan also ran 15:22 as an O45 in Rathfarnham 5k 1999, not sure if he ran one faster in that age group that he didn't get ratified?

“Great wits are sure to madness near allied
    And thin partitions do their bounds divide.”
    John Dryden

Saturday 18th Jan.

6 miles out and back along the canal towpath with some cheeky little strides/pick-ups (8x100m). Felt a little flat. But when all’s said and done, not a bad week.

Weekly Summary
    75+ miles for the week in 11 runs.
    2 sessions of strides/pick-ups (8x100m) – neither were awe inspiring.
    Half-baked attempt at a couple of progression runs – 1 was fairly decent.
    4 doubles.

Plan for next week.
    Increase long from 10-13
    Add on two more doubles (6 doubles)
    Two sessions of strides
    Two progression runs
    Mileage – around the 90m mark
    Get my finger out and knuckle down to the supplementary strength work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have bookmarked this log, very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thursday 16th Jan

a.m. 7 miles with Paddy the Kenyan. Legs felt much better and I’m pretty confident that the injury/tweak is now 100%. Kept the pace nice and ez. Paddy was mullered after a monster session the previous day – he’s now replaced Thomas the Mod as the favourite to win the Tralee marathon.

p.m. 6.5 progression. Decided to give it a bit more of an effort. Started out very slow –probably 9 min pace and gradually and smoothly (apologies for the adverbs) moved through the gears. Probably got up to LT for the final mile. Thought about moving on to 5k pace and then on to 3k pace for the final 2 mins but erred on the side of caution. Very pleased with how things are progressing. Although I’m a long way off from 15:22 shape, I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.

Friday 17th Jan

a.m. 6 miles ez. The old lady had the day off and she headed out for her 6 miler and then I went out about 10 mins later. The wife’s too embarrassed to run with me – she knows I’ll mess about…

So when I was approaching the half way point of my out back along the canal route, I spotted a little lady striding out like a good un – giving it root-toot. Ecky thump, I thought, this little treacle looks like she might be worth a cheeky little hello. As she got closer, I realised it was the old lady. I dropped to the ground and started doing push ups. She stopped and said,

‘What on earth are you doing.’

I kept banging them out

‘Would you ever stop that nonsense. Quit now. I want you to quit, now!'

I rolled over and through clenched teeth I spat out, ‘I got no where else to go.’

p.m. 6 miles at good clip out and back along the canal. Feeling good.

AIS and all the malarkey before and after all runs

Stazza,

Are you sure you are off the drink :)

TbL

Stazza,

Are you sure you are off the drink :)

TbL
    Haha! I wouldn't take a drink, I'm 'An Officer And A Gentleman':D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I have bookmarked this log, very enjoyable read.

Agreed, I think Stazza has brought a lot of knowledge, energy and enthusiasm to Boards. Long may it continue.

Agreed, I think Stazza has brought a lot of knowledge, energy and enthusiasm to Boards. Long may it continue.

You after my phone number, Sweet Cheeks? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Things got worse - I followed them off course (long story) and then when I was called back the right way, I went off course again (it was pretty funny but you had to be there).

Im afraid the race marshals were a pucking disgrace that day.

PS: Beware TRR is perhaps jealous of the blossoming bromance between yourself and Ecoli and perhaps will try to ostracise you from his Tallaght clique!

• Advertisement

PS: Beware TRR is perhaps jealous of the blossoming bromance between yourself and Ecoli and perhaps will try to ostracise you from his Tallaght clique!

Now, now, you wouldn't be trying to stir the pot by any chance would you? ;)

You have us all wrong, we are all welcoming, the more the merrier (unless your one of the Sister's Pearse clan of course :D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement