Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I think I've encountered you on the green Mile/ Skinny mile once or twice! Not sure if its you or not, moreso the GAA type person accompanying 'you' seems to fit PtK's description, although I believe that image has changed.

I doubt it was me, I think I've only been on there once or twice - running. I normally run along the canal and up around the Kerries and Ballyard-Blennerville.

If you're running on the weekend, come and introduce yourself - don't be shy - I'll be on my wife's pink bike; I look dead hard - don't let put you off, too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Your inbox is full again... can't do 'rolls eyes' on phone :)
    You should delete your sent items along with your inbox messages ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Your inbox is full again... can't do 'rolls eyes' on phone :)
    You should delete your sent items along with your inbox messages ;)

Perhaps if you eased off on the constant stalking and harassment then his inbox would as empty and spacious as the inside of TRRs head

Gavlor wrote: »
    Perhaps if you eased off on the constant stalking and harassment then his inbox would as empty and spacious as the inside of TRRs head

Ha ha wot u sayin about my bro :( we're a clever lot in our family:)

Today, at the Tralee Carers 10k, Paddy the Kenyan ran 32:58* - that's 24 secs off last weekend's 10k pb.

*That was the time displayed on the gantry as he went through so, methinks, it'll probably be a second or two slower.

Later, when I post this week's training, I'll have some interesting stats regarding PtK's training over the last 6 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Stazza wrote: »
    Today, at the Tralee Carers 10k, Paddy the Kenyan ran 32:58* - that's 24 secs off last weekend's 10k pb.

*That was the time displayed on the gantry as he went through so, methinks, it'll probably be a second or two slower.

Later, when I post this week's training, I'll have some interesting stats regarding PtK's training over the last 6 months...

33:02 in the results so a little discrepancy! Not sure if I saw you today, I did see a right 'ard looking gentleman, but he was on a purple bicycle 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

By the way, I remember you asking about a local Physio... The guy who finished second today, Derek Griffen, is a physio based in Oakpark, might be what you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow. Great stuff from him. Has he plans to target a marathon, or is he sticking with the shorter stuff?

Wow. Great stuff from him. Has he plans to target a marathon, or is he sticking with the shorter stuff?

He's going to take 7-10 days off and then start building again with a view to running 31:XX for 10k next year. He reads this nonsense and I'm sure he'd say thanks if he could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doc Q the 5th

He reads this nonsense

Fair description of this log! 26:17 maybe acheivable in 2-3 yrs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

magic, pass on my congratulations. He deserves the break. Looking forward to those stats....

Nee-nah-nee-nah-nee-nah

Nee-nah-nee-nah-nee-nah

Monday 6th October

a.m. 8 miles(ish) with Paddy the Kenyan.
    p.m. Sick.

Tuesday 7th October

Sick

Wednesday 8th October

Sick

Thursday 9th October

Sick

Friday 10th October

a.m. 6 miles easy with Paddy the Kenyan.

Saturday 11th October

a.m. 6 miles easy

Sunday 12th October

a.m. 8 miles easy

28 miles for the week. Not great but then sh1t happens.

People have been asking (on here and at races) how PtK has improved so much in such a short space of time. Simple – The Stazza System. The system is there is no system (apologies to the Lone Wolf – well done today). Everything is specific to the individual.

PtK’s development was built on a Boy Scout Lydiard base (I hate Lydiard but he’s great for beginners like PtK) into a moderated/watered down Canova marathon specific approach (effectively an extended base) and then, a Stazza variation on Horwill’s multi-tier/pace system, where recovery and adaptation are everything.

The modified Lydiard base and watered down Canova extension, provided the platform for improvement. The base was only 70-80 miles a week, all singles. Long reps and Aerobic Threshold sessions and Lactate Threshold sessions - only one session a week.

After the base, we moved into a well thought out multi-pace system. One session a week with rucks of recovery. We also had a genuine(ish) LT run of 22 mins each week and as we moved on, we replaced the 22 min LT run with 3x8 mins off 2 mins at Crest Load. But the real work was the weekly session. No long run - go figure.

The weekly sessions revolved around 5x800m off 2 mins jog – 4x1mile 0ff 90 sec jog rec and 3x2miles off 2 mins (We only used this session twice because of races). So that’s a 3k pace session, a 5k pace session, and a 10k pace session with a 10mile/half marathon pace 22 min tempo providing the aerobic maintenance.

Every block of 3 weeks was (singular because of the single block – think that’s right) followed by a quasi super-compensation week/race week where only easy running and strides were on the schedule. Every 4 weeks saw substantial improvements. Here’s how the sessions went:

5x800 – May: 2:34; June: 2:24 (strides were introduced between May/June); July: 2:23; Sep: 2:23 (v windy).

4x1mile – Apr: 5:20; May: 5:14; Jul: 5:09; Sep – 4:59 and 4:57

3x2miles – June: 10:54 (5:27 AP); July: 10:46 (5:23).

Working off one ‘real’ session a week allows plenty of time for recovery and adaptation and doesn’t follow what most people are doing. Most people tend to do a long run, a tempo (too fast), a session, and do their other runs too fast; they also race way too much and that’s why they don’t make the big improvements: they are withdrawing from funds they don’t have. Pretty simple really.

Monday 6th October

p.m. Sick.

Tuesday 7th October

Sick

Wednesday 8th October

Sick

Thursday 9th October

Sick

Friday 10th October

Saturday 11th October

a.m. 6 miles easy

Sunday 12th October

a.m. 8 miles easy

People have been asking (on here and at races) how PtK has improved so much in such a short space of time. Simple – The Stazza System. The system is there is no system (apologies to the Lone Wolf – well done today). Everything is specific to the individual.

PtK’s development was built on a Boy Scout Lydiard base (I hate Lydiard but he’s great for beginners like PtK) into a moderated/watered down Canova marathon specific approach (effectively an extended base) and then, a Stazza variation on Horwill’s multi-tier/pace system, where recovery and adaptation are everything.

The modified Lydiard base and watered down Canova extension, provided the platform for improvement. The base was only 70-80 miles a week, all singles. Long reps and Aerobic Threshold sessions and Lactate Threshold sessions - only one session a week.

After the base, we moved into a well thought out multi-pace system. One session a week with rucks of recovery. We also had a genuine(ish) LT run of 22 mins each week and as we moved on, we replaced the 22 min LT run with 3x8 mins off 2 mins at Crest Load. But the real work was the weekly session. No long run - go figure.

The weekly sessions revolved around 5x800m off 2 mins jog – 4x1mile 0ff 90 sec jog rec and 3x2miles off 2 mins (We only used this session twice because of races). So that’s a 3k pace session, a 5k pace session, and a 10k pace session with a 10mile/half marathon pace 22 min tempo providing the aerobic maintenance.

Every block of 3 weeks was (singular because of the single block – think that’s right) followed by a quasi super-compensation week/race week where only easy running and strides were on the schedule. Every 4 weeks saw substantial improvements. Here’s how the sessions went:

5x800 – May: 2:34; June: 2:24 (strides were introduced between May/June - as a yoyo :P); July: 2:23; Sep: 2:23 (v windy).

Working off one ‘real’ session a week allows plenty of time for recovery and adaptation and doesn’t follow what most people are doing. Most people tend to do a long run, a tempo (too fast), a session, and do their other runs too fast; they also race way too much and that’s why they don’t make the big improvements: they are withdrawing from funds they don’t have. Pretty simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Monday 6th October

p.m. Sick.

Tuesday 7th October

Sick

Wednesday 8th October

Sick

Thursday 9th October

Sick

Friday 10th October

Saturday 11th October

a.m. 6 miles easy

Sunday 12th October

a.m. 8 miles easy

5x800 – May: 2:34; June: 2:24 (strides were introduced between May/June); July: 2:23; Sep: 2:23 (v windy).

Thanks for posting that, very informative.

Well done to Boardsie jakek today!
    Great to see one of our own doing so well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

That is great progress.

Monday 6th October

p.m. Sick.

Tuesday 7th October

Sick

Wednesday 8th October

Sick

Thursday 9th October

Sick

Friday 10th October

Saturday 11th October

a.m. 6 miles easy

Sunday 12th October

a.m. 8 miles easy

5x800 – May: 2:34; June: 2:24 (strides were introduced between May/June - as a yoyo :P); July: 2:23; Sep: 2:23 (v windy).

This post is beyond any trolling I've ever done. It is literally complete spoofing.

I’ve decided to have another crack at keeping a log. As I’ve publicly announced that I’m going after the Irish M45 5k record of 15:22, I thought it only fair that I document my training and hold myself to account

Tbh the only reason I'm still posting in here is there are decent, inexperienced runners who read the jargony "modified Canova" bull**** you are posting and think you have a clue...

I refer them all back to this 1st post of your log...

• Advertisement

This post is beyond any trolling I've ever done. It is literally complete spoofing.

Billy, you need help lad.

Instead of just saying it's 'complete spoofing' why don't you pick out the specific pieces in Stazza's post that are 'spoofing' and give us your take on it from a training point of view? It's quite a grandiose statement to post without backup:confused:
    For the interest of debate even which is healthy (and interesting and educational for us all to read) I think we'll all agree!

jakek wrote: »
    Thanks Dr. Q.

To address some of the questions above... here's all I'll say... Stazza and I have been communicating via e-mail since Fall 2011, when I first started to get "good" at running. One thing I really appreciated is that he was never hesitant to offer a different perspective than my own (as opposed to just give me a virtual pat on the back). We've shot ideas back and forth for a couple years, and during that time I've come to realize that he knows as much about modern marathon training as anyone I know. I consider myself a student of the sport and I'm pretty well read, but I've gotten to the point of running high 1:05/2:20 and stalled out. Stazza knows my background well and what type of running I like to do, so he was the first person I reached out to for advice about how to get down to the Olympic Trials qualifying times. So I'd consider him a high-level advisor on my executive panel :). The guy knows his stuff and I'm willing to give his ideas a shot. Like Stazza said himself, he's not re-inventing the wheel here... he's piecing together a lot of the things we already know in a way that makes sense for a specific (type of) athlete. Putting those puzzle pieces together is harder than it sounds, though. Even if I get it 98% right on my own, that still leaves me short of my potential.

Today Jake ran 2:21 at Chicago - that's a good bit faster than you're gonna run in Frankfurt, although, even with all your vitriol and begrudgery I still hope you run well. Later in the year he's hoping to go 2:17 - he'll be using some of my modified Canova sessions. Because I'm advising Jake and Paddy the Kenyan (PtK is now 1 min and 40 secs faster than you over 10k, from the so called spoof training as opposed to your 'endless season'), you shouldn't let it get to you - it's no big deal. Relax a bit Billy. You're hating too much and it aint good for you or anybody around you. You're not winding me up or anything so stop wasting your time. At first you amused me. More recently I've found you boring. Now, well, I pity you. Concentrate on your own running and your own life and maybe you'll see some improvements in both your running and your life. Good luck lad. And best wishes for Frankfurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Instead of just saying it's 'complete spoofing' why don't you pick out the specific pieces in Stazza's post that are 'spoofing' and give us your take on it from a training point of view? It's quite a grandiose statement to post without backup:confused:
    For the interest of debate even which is healthy (and interesting and educational for us all to read) I think we'll all agree!

I can only see your coaches posts if they have been quoted, but seriously can you not read the one DRQ#5 just quoted and realise all the terms were made up as an afterthought?
    UM1 posted this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92261204 a few months ago, it's pretty ironic that stazza thanked the post as he is the guy it was talking about....

#FOS

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can only see your coaches posts if they have been quoted, but seriously can you not read the one DRQ#5 just quoted and realise all the terms were made up as an afterthought?
    UM1 posted this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92261204 a few months ago, it's pretty ironic that stazza thanked the post as he is the guy it was talking about....

#FOS

In fairness, for once, you're right. The terms were made up. They were made up because PtK wasn't doing the necessary mileage to make them true Lydiard or Canova sessions. But rather than take credit for it I referenced/named where the basic ideas came from. And as for the thank you you've mentioned and the irony, I think you need to sit down with the lights off and go through it - hopefully the penny will drop -or do you need it explaining to you, yet again.

#MIAFW

menoscemo wrote: »

#FOS

I think the underhand/disguised bullying and name calling is a little bit childish to be honest.
    As for the terms? Crest load? Did he not explain it?
    What other specific terms are problematic? You know my knowledge of running is minimal but maybe Stazza can help?

I think the underhand/disguised bullying and name calling is a little bit childish to be honest.
    As for the terms? Crest load? Did he not explain it?
    What other specific terms are problematic? You know my knowledge of running is minimal but maybe Stazza can help?

Burn Meno, burn.

I'm off to bed - night night.

Oh are well all doing it now well then:

QCFOAGOHSMS and TRRCGFHAHNMBA and as for tiny tim well GAFLAYJAL

Oh sorry forgot the hash tag. can't find it on my mac:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

In fairness, for once, you're right. The terms were made up. They were made up because PtK wasn't doing the necessary mileage to make them true Lydiard or Canova sessions. But rather than take credit for it I referenced/named where the basic ideas came from. And as for the thank you you've mentioned and the irony, I think you need to sit down with the lights off and go through it - hopefully the penny will drop -or do you need it explaining to you, yet again.

You remind me of the HR lads where I work. They are well educated and have lots to say worth listening to but once they start their "touching base" "going forward" "year on year" routine I mentally leave the room. I have ran several sub 2.30 marathons during those meetings. Why must you encase the information in Bolixology?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The modified Lydiard base and watered down Canova extension, provided the platform for improvement

After the base, we moved into a well thought out multi-pace system. One session a week with rucks of recovery.

We also had a genuine(ish) LT run of 22 mins each week and as we moved on, we replaced the 22 min LT run with 3x8 mins off 2 mins at Crest Load

Every block of 3 weeks was (singular because of the single block – think that’s right) followed by a quasi super-compensation week/race week where only easy running and strides were on the schedule.

etc, etc (all quoed from 1 post). Stazza, I see you are replying to me, no point tbh, I can't see it...adios

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement