Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Can't believe I've been missing out on the craic here.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

:pac: that sign off thing is throwing fuel on the fire.

You're some boyo stazza I'll give you that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Anyway, people. I need to get my sleep. Sleep is important for the old training. Tomorrow, if things have settled down, I'll tell you all about how Paddy the Kenyan's rise to stardom is all the more remarkable given his problems with somnambulance. Night night.

The Running Master

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Honestly, I've never really been particularly interested in this log as it contains, in my opinion, a huge amount of extremely complex sessions that in the world of normal people who are constrained by normal life time demands, are impossible to follow. If you are what you are, well done. But, the egotism is as such that people like to see a bit more proof.

You're passing yourself off as a Canova-type expert and authority. The Running Master bit is designed to rub people up the wrong way. There's nothing new in what I'm saying here, just that maybe I'm a fresh voice that is sceptical of your intentions. I am enjoying the debate and arguments here, but there's a chance that extremely good training principles are getting overshadowed by doubts about your authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Mod/

Ok guys, I hate to do this but this is the last warning. Couple of things for everyone:

If you don't like what someone is posting, then simply don't read it. None of the logs here are mandatory.

Also, it is unfair to make unsubstantiated comments that someone "is trying to discredit you" when there is no evidence of such a thing, from a poster known to be fair across the whole forum.

Posting comments to someone that you have blocked is pointless.

If you have an issue with a poster, use the ignore button if you feel you must.

This is all very childish, so lets move on before there is a bloodbath after DCM.

Warnings and infractions are next.

/Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Apologies pconn not trying to drag up a fight here but it seems as though the context of my post was taken up wrong (which in retrospect might be construed as a result of a misinterpretation I had of a previous comment he made which on reflection I took up wrong, and seem to be the only one but I guess coaches can get taper madness to right? :p )

In terms of posting in relation to you here to the best of my knowledge with the exception of a joke made in TbL's log have all been training related.

As I mentioned before the approach is based on solid principles, ones which I aimed to highlight in there simplest form. The point of this was not to "discredit" you but rather break it down for new runners. While the presence of easily accessible training knowledge on the internet is a good thing in terms of education it can be a double edge sword in that people are able to access the most scientific pin point answers to particular questions they might have, the only problem is that they might not have the full grasp on foundation of solid training principles that sometimes is needed to fully appreciate the answer

For years I was a victim of this reading about Lactate turnpoint, anaerobic Threshold training etc thinking I had a full grasp on the concepts when seeing them on a training log and understanding what stand alone sessions were without putting things all together. With this in mind I saw labels on sessions, tried them and thought I was gonna be a sub 4 miler because that was the same sessions they were doing.

After a while I began to get a better understanding to the point I am at now in terms of not evaluating a session on its effectiveness but rather how it fits with the overall program in that current cycle and how that phase has interacted with previous training. Even these days I am no longer looking at the specifics of a training session but rather the target outcomes of that session and how it interacts with their approach, while I don't always agree with them as long a I can see why they are doing it I feel I can learn from the though process behind it.

In this regard my aim was to highlight the importance of a long run in previous phases of training. While you are right in terms of saying to brought up marathon training I felt it was skated over a bit (in the context of knowing my previous experience I tended to overlook cycle by cycle in my early research of training methods especially when the improvements were made down the line I failed to connect the dots). Also the understanding of marathon training is another point which is left open to interpretation given that very few first time posters would consider +20 consecutive long runs of 17 miles or longer to be normal marathon training in their eyes given most of the training knowledge would be based around what they have learned from plans they have used) hence my feeling the need to stress this point. Likewise if people have researched the likes of the Hanson program or even Hal Higdon they might have different connotations of marathon training.

Again as I said the principles are solid and effective and have brought people a huge amount of success my point was to highlight this to the target audience. If you can get people evaluating the approach rather than one particular element (and with elaborate terminology often it is a case where people think that it is something new or different they associate it with an athletes success without taking into account why its in the plan and how it interacts) you will see people make huge gains in developing the best approach for them

Sometimes we end up taken things for granted in discussion (Like the reference of Canova and Lydiard in association with marathon training and a focus on aerobic development to point where people may miss this as a crucial basis for the multi paced system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Stazza wrote: »
    Anyway, people. I need to get my sleep. Sleep is important for the old training. Tomorrow, if things have settled down, I'll tell you all about how Paddy the Kenyan's rise to stardom is all the more remarkable given his problems with somnambulance. Night night.

The Running Master

Will done to PtheK and yourself. Was wondering about the Horwilian sessions he was doing: Did he build up to those multi paced sessions or (sounds like) he did the whole sessions trying to increase pace every time?

Im back to a bit of health, and building up properly this time with some strength work in the gym to prepare for some high mileage and plyo stuff to come. I may eventually employ some of the Horwillian stuff as its straight forward enough and doesn't require coaching (which is handy as I cant make club training). May touch base with you for a few suggestions.

Snip/

Dear Stazza,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

The Running Master

T runner wrote: »
    Will done to PtheK and yourself. Was wondering about the Horwilian sessions he was doing: Did he build up to those multi paced sessions or (sounds like) he did the whole sessions trying to increase pace every time?

Im back to a bit of health, and building up properly this time with some strength work in the gym to prepare for some high mileage and plyo stuff to come. I may eventually employ some of the Horwillian stuff as its straight forward enough and doesn't require coaching (which is handy as I cant make club training). May touch base with you for a few suggestions.

Snip/

Thanks T - I got the rest of your post before it was snipped - a 'soldier' saved it for me. I'll shout you later.

The Running Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

boss you're full again..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Stazzler where are you?
    You are on the verge of a coup d'etat....

I'm here. Just had an infraction served against me on top of a warning. Thanks for last night. It's important that people stand up for themselves. Have it...

The Running Master

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Why do you sign off on every post with "The Running Master", and put it in bold?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Why do you sign off on every post with "The Running Master", and put it in bold?

Why ask man? So you can belittle him? Why would a nice guy like you want to belittle a genius? Feeling pretty good, huh? Why? Do you know that the man really likes you? He likes you. He really likes you. But he's got something in mind for you. Aren't you curious about that? I'm curious. I'm very curious. Are you curious? There's something happening out here, man. You know something, man? I know something that you don't know. That's right, Chiv. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh, yeah. He hates all this. He hates it! But the man's a . . . He reads poetry out loud, all night. And a voice . . . he likes you because you're still alive. He's got plans for you. No, I'm not gonna help you. You're gonna help him, man. You're gonna help him. I mean, what are they gonna say when he's gone? 'Cause if he goes, then it goes, when it goes, he goes! What are they gonna say about him? He was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullsh1t, man! And am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me! Look at me! ......

Leave the Colonel be boss.

Speedy Gonzales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Why ask man? So you can belittle him? Why would a nice guy like you want to belittle a genius? Feeling pretty good, huh? Why? Do you know that the man really likes you? He likes you. He really likes you. But he's got something in mind for you. Aren't you curious about that? I'm curious. I'm very curious. Are you curious? There's something happening out here, man. You know something, man? I know something you that you don't know. That's right, Chiv. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh, yeah. He hates all this. He hates it! But the man's a . . . He reads poetry out loud, all right. And a voice . . . he likes you because you're still alive. He's got plans for you. No, I'm not gonna help you. You're gonna help him, man. You're gonna help him. I mean, what are they gonna say when he's gone? 'Cause he goes when it goes, when it goes, he goes! What are they gonna say about him? He was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bull****, man! And am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me! Look at me! ......

Speedy Gonzales

Not really sure whether it's me, him or both of us you are taking the piss out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

The more I read Boards today, the less sane I feel.

I need to get out for a run. Big time! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Why ask man? So you can belittle him? Why would a nice guy like you want to belittle a genius? Feeling pretty good, huh? Why? Do you know that the man really likes you? He likes you. He really likes you. But he's got something in mind for you. Aren't you curious about that? I'm curious. I'm very curious. Are you curious? There's something happening out here, man. You know something, man? I know something you that you don't know. That's right, Chiv. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh, yeah. He hates all this. He hates it! But the man's a . . . He reads poetry out loud, all right. And a voice . . . he likes you because you're still alive. He's got plans for you. No, I'm not gonna help you. You're gonna help him, man. You're gonna help him. I mean, what are they gonna say when he's gone? 'Cause he goes when it goes, when it goes, he goes! What are they gonna say about him? He was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullsh1t, man! And am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me! Look at me! ......

Leave the Colonel be boss.

Speedy Gonzales
    wowzer wrote: »
    Stazzler where are you?
    You are on the verge of a coup d'etat....

Two strong contenders for the 'Whimsical Post of the Year Award 2014'.

Hilarious stuff all round. Not.

Is this what boards has become?

I am out.

I am out.

Seriously lighten up man.

Seriously lighten up man.

The gloating on here today is a bit ridiculous, man.

Gavlor wrote: »
    The gloating on here today is a bit ridiculous, man.

Gloating?? I must have missed that....

• Advertisement

Gloating?? I must have missed that....

Take off those rose tinted glasses and have a closer look.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Take off those rose tinted glasses and have a closer look.

I'll take them off as soon as you get off that high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Everyone should just go for a good long run to clear their heads and release all of this built up resentment

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not really sure whether it's me, him or both of us you are taking the piss out of here.

You need to catch up on your 70's cinema.

Colonel Kurtz is a fitting persona for where the Master's detractors thinks his mind resides now. We know better. We'll know his plans soon...

I am out.

Its like lanigans ball around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I think everyone in here needs to look at more cat videos on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

T runner

He'll love the Col Kurtz/ Conrad reference.... He thinks Conrad is the best writer ever don't you know ;-)

Followers of the The Running Master,

It's time to go home, rest up, and reflect. Do not respond to anymore tedious comments. Tonight, I will respond to their Chief-of-Staff: he has contacted me in good faith and I will discuss terms with him.

Thank you for your support, passion, and loyalty. I'm humbled, truly.

Regards

The Running Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Stazza wrote: »
    Followers of the The Running Master,

It's time to go home, rest up, and reflect. Do not respond to anymore tedious comments. Tonight, I will respond to their Chief-of-Staff: he has contacted me in good faith and I will discuss terms with him.

Thank you for your support, passion, and loyalty. I'm humbled, truly.

Regards

The Running Master
    And in case anyone misinterpreted that, it's called humour ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey; I haven't contacted anyone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ososlo wrote: »
    And in case anyone misinterpreted that, it's called humour ;)

Maybe to some, but its bull**** pure and simple to others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement