Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Running Master

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

T runner wrote: »
    I might have a stab at answering this Ecoli.

Ill use quotes from a section from Canova's booklet linked here.

Canova Training Methods

"the intensity of the run depends on the total volume of the workouts, or on the total distance covered in each single workout"

So volume varies with intensity to equal the same overall workload.

"during workouts, we should reach paces that go from 5% to 15% beyond race pace (MP)"

The pace range is between 5-15% M pace.

"In order to raise the ANAEROBIC THRESHOLD we have to work above the threshold itself, since by only slightly stressing this mechanism we can adapt to a higher level."

So best adaption occurs by a slight stimulation. That means that the paces should go from slow to fast. i.e from 5% faster than MP to 15% faster.
    Since less intensity=more volume: the longer slower tempo run is first. For an athlete well developed aerobically with fast continuous high end aerobic runs completed, this session wont be a huge challenge.

"Running faster than the speed that corresponds to 4 mmol/l, we will work a slightly higher percentage of fast twitch fibres (generally speaking FT - type IIa) and can therefore improve the aerobic characteristics of these fibres.This allows the muscles which are involved in running to use greater quantities of oxygen in the same period of time, and this will in turn raise the anaerobic threshold."

So these fibres develop aerobic characteristics, the body gets good at clearing lactate from these fibres and AnT is raised. The next faster tempo slightly stimulates more fibres at a faster speed with a not dissimilar perceived effort and so on. The last tempo should catch most type 2a fibres (and slow twitch). As you want to use greater power, and more lactate is being cleared and a longer recovery may be needed.

Canova also says that giving fibres more enduring qualities actually strengthens them. So if you run a 10k time trial and extend it by 2k per week, in 5 weeks you could run 20k at the same pace as the initial 10k time trial.
    And you could run the time trial considerably faster now, and by extension a 10k race.

This is why the tempos are now extended again. The maximum amount of available (made available by the hill reps sessions) fibres have been given aerobic qualities and now all these fibres will be given stronger endurance characteristics by extending the tempos. The pace should now stay the same, or slightly faster perhaps while they are extended back up. The result is, as Stazza says, a serious boost to LT.

Hadd insists on thoroughly developing each range of fibres before moving onto the next. Lydiard implied as much by using transitions between phases. Kellogg talks about always moving through the fibres correctly and in sequence.

That's what some of this discussion has confirmed for me. Marathon training should evolve safely and thoroughly fibre by fibre....using tools...including triggers.....

But Stazza has missed a trick! Distracted my his Linford memoirs no doubt. Small but potentially big enough to blow a crater sized hole where his next phase should be!! The bazucca is ready, the missiles are lined up and it aint no Massai Warrior aiming this time! Ill explain later in more detail. Tomorrow we begin.......

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

:D Good post T
    I was just pulling out all of that and here's some more from Magness:
    The first thing that is done is to add on some slightly faster running at the end of the LT workouts. First, slightly cut back the length of the LT portion of the workout. For instance, if you have been doing 25 minutes at LT, cut back to 15-20min total. Then add on a mile, or 5 minutes, at a slightly faster pace (about 10k pace). I normally do this twice, so that they go from 25min at LT down to 10min LT, then 2x mile at 10k pace with short rest.

LT work:
    When doing threshold work, it depends on what the goal of the workout is and in what direction you are trying to take it.
    A mix of paces from steady down to 5k pace. Provides a wide range of stimulus to the aerobic system. Really, you are just touching on each system briefly, but it is a great way to balance out the faster, more intense, work. An example would be 10min steady, 7.5min at LT, 5min at 10k, and 2.5min at 5k pace.

It all depends on what the goal is. This is not a generic schedule for everybody to follow. I will not underpin my schedule with the same LT work as Jake - his fibre make-up is different to mine and this is hugely important. So is his running history. So are the objectives in using LT as key workouts.

This is a very good LT session: 10x3mins off 35 secs as is this 20x400m off 15 secs. Short reps, but powerful stuff. Just depends what the objective is and at what stage of the plan you're at etc. This is what I mean about the one glove fits all - it doesn't.

ecoli and quirky, I'll try and get to you tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Stazza wrote: »
    :D Good post T
    LT work:
    When doing threshold work, it depends on what the goal of the workout is and in what direction you are trying to take it.
    It all depends on what the goal is. This is not a generic schedule for everybody to follow. I will not underpin my schedule with the same LT work as Jake - his fibre make-up is different to mine and this is hugely important. So is his running history. So are the objectives in using LT as key workouts.

This is a very good LT session: 10x3mins off 35 secs as is this 20x400m off 15 secs. Short reps, but powerful stuff. Just depends what the objective is and at what stage of the plan you're at etc. This is what I mean about the one glove fits all - it doesn't.

I agree with all that Stazza, but the question related specifically to the ladder sessions you prescribed for Jake and how they might boost LT. "Then when you get back to 2x20 mins you’ve made major gains @LT" Ive bolded it out in your quote below to highlight it is a stated objective of that progression of LT sessions, (although balancing the faster stuff and aiding a transition to it are other goals, granted.)

Ive only touched on Canovas principles of slightly stressing the anaerobic threshold as a means to raise it. That looks like whats happenning on the way down the ladder, while extending endurance at LT to give fibres endurance and further raise LT seemed to be the desired result on the way back up. Perhaps your reasons were different?

I didnt touch on any methods bar the sessions you mentioned but of-course there are many methods/sessions and differing objectives: fast twitch runners might be better suited to interval type LT sessions.

Alternations involving the faster section @ LT may have the objective of using LT as a base to bring AT closer to LT as race day approaches.

But for the objective of fundamentally increasing LT for a marathon runner away from the specific stage: then the principle of slightly stressing LT in a progressive manner over several faster sessions and then extending volume at that pace will bring the major gains in LT. The methods/sessions/gloves employed will differ from runner to runner: but the "road is clear, there is no other road" as Canova might say.

......... basically, as you go down the ladder at the same effort you end up running faster, because of a number of factors. And then when you get to the 3x8 mins you’ll notice you are running faster at the same effort because your running economy will be improving due to the whole, rather than singular aspects of the training. It’s likely, you’ll move closer to 10k effort on the 3x8 mins and that’s why the extra min is there – to facilitate recovery. Your body will move at this pace naturally. Then when you come back up at the same EFFORT your pace will improve marginally, but you’ll be able to hold it better and by FEEL. Then when you get back to 2x20 mins you’ve made major gains @LT. ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The Leaving Cert Geography paper and the suckler cow premium scheme form (circa 1988) were both easier to understand than this blog. Its taken me almost 20 years of running to realise how complicated it is. Can anyone tell me how to go back?

@T ~ Sorry T, I should have said I agree with everything you've said and thanks for doing such a good job of explaining it in reference to Jake's case and how going down and back up helps. You also pointed out, very clearly, how it aids in transitioning to faster stuff, which in Jake's case is very important as this is an area he needs to stimulate to make a breakthrough. I just added the Magness stuff to show another angle so that people could see that there are so many variations when it comes to LT - not just the usual 20+ mins hard tempo.

@ Those who are interested, when I outline my training, I'll do the overall skeleton, and then I'll start with the specifics - beginning with LT. I'll explain in more detail about LT and shunts and shuffles. LT shunts and shuffles aren't jargon or newly coined terms - they have been around for donkey's years. But when Canova utilised them in marathon training, the world woke up and listened - Magness gets a lot of his ideas from Canova. In fact, Magness is quite clear that his systems and methods are a cocktail of those gone before and if you've read your stuff, then it's easy to see where Magness is coming from. I'm positive that early in his new book he'll talk about his ideas being a cocktail of what's gone before rather than a rigid adherence to one system.

@ecoli and quirky - T has explained most of the reasons why it was appropriate for Jake to go down the ladder and back up. I just want to add that it was crucially important to do this for two other reasons:

1. Jake's more of a slow twitch fibre man, so you tend to start at the longer end and work down (I'm speaking with authority here :)- this isn't new stuff, it's basics) before going back up.

2. Also, Jake's 5k/10k/half paces are similar. This is where the big breakthrough comes in. If you read Hadd - I think T posted Hadd's stuff a while back - Hadd says he looks at a runners pb's to see if they make sense. He uses Horwill's model (again, basic stuff from when I was a kid) and then sees where the opportunities for improvement are before he takes them on. Jake's opportunities for improvement slap you in the face - just gotta be careful and manage the processes effectively.

There are still some things that need addressing - Ill get to them, very soon. (ecoli's nature of session and recovery increase + quirky's, why run it a bit slower, and an apology regarding quirky's ability to hold the pace for 60 mins - of course you could, just got you mixed up with somebody else - very sorry for that).

drquirky wrote: »
    Gotcha- but here is the catch. Yeah I would have been wrecked running another 15 but I probably could have- also recent race results would have my tempo pace around 5:45 , that workout was run at 5:52 or 5:53- you and I both know I could hold 5:52 pace for 10 miles in a race.... I'm thinking the point you're making is move off of pace and onto effort which is fair enough...

The main question is- what exactly is gained by running it that few secs per mile slower? Felt like I got a really good workout off the 2x20 as is... Oh and am targeting sub 2:40 in dublin next yr. no spring mara for me as baby on the way in feb .., you're right though my shorter distance times are better than my mara but I'm putting much of that down to only having run 2!

I'm in the process of putting the whole lactate thing together but rather than take it from me here's a snippet of what Kellogg has to say on the matter, specifically answering your question:

Yes, use of "feel" pace management is normally done with outings which remain at or below the athlete's threshold. Most of these sessions occur during a period of general conditioning, in which specific speeds can take a back seat to acquisition of fundamental fitness. As you are probably aware, some runners have trouble staying slow enough even when no minimum pace guidelines are imposed! These aspiring athletes certainly need teaching, lest they squander their time spent running! As a period of specialized conditioning approaches (where familiarity with race pace is paramount), many methods and mechanical devises exist which can assist with pace management.

Like I said, that's a snippet. There is much more to it. Hopefully that gives you a broad answer. I will, however, be explaining it in a more detailed manner (physiologically). But I think if you look where YOU are in your prep for Dublin, then the by FEEL and a smidgeon slower approach seems like the right way to go.

@ecoli

This para is by Kellogg with my insertions in the parenthesis ~ Continuous runs of 20 minutes which finish slightly above the threshold (5k-3k EFFORT)can be balanced with somewhat longer runs (35-40 minutes AT Progressions etc) which feature the majority at a fractionally slower pace but which still exceed the threshold for a brief period near the end (2-3 mins moving down to 5k and 3k EFFORT). Interchanging these sessions provides diversity in the routine and yields a slightly different stimulus from workout to workout. Moderately long repeats (8-10 mins) with rest periods which are short* relative to the run periods can accomplish the same purpose.

Kellogg, all by himself:
    All these types of sessions are useful at times and are actually synergistic if you know how to sequence them correctly. Improved lactate buffering can allow you to spend more time in that stage of exercise which exceeds the LT and hovers near the respiratory compensation point, since it is predominantly the bicarbonate system which prevents the blood pH from falling too low once the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA) is exceeded.

Stazza:
    *(2-3 mins – with Jake, also take into account training: he’s training at moderate altitude and that his LT and 10k pace are pretty much the same, whereas y(ours) is closer to 10k*. Therefore 10k reps/LT reps of 8mins need 3 mins for Lactate buffering to occur, which helps with the breakthrough in terms of pace; shorter recoveries for lactate clearance.) The recovery is then shortened on the way back up and the rep time and volume is extended to progress and add extra stress. And of course, general fitness from other elements of the training schedule help with this – that’s the whole point.

For ecoli, although I wouldn't recommend LT training at this stage of marathon training - maybe some shunts and shuffling between HMP and MP - it would appear, given the type of training YOU are following and that you are zooming in on your race, that pace and extension of pace would be the better option. This is just my humble opinion.

Again, when I do the LT stuff for my training I’ll go into more detail. Hopefully, for now, this goes some way to answering your query – a very good question too.

*TBB spotted a mistake I made - Got Jake's LT pace and ecoli's LT pace the wrong way raround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

@ecoli

Stazza:
    *(2-3 mins – with Jake, also take into account training: he’s training at moderate altitude and that his LT is closer to 10k pace, whereas y(ours) is closer to HMP.

Isnt it the other way around? The fitter you are the closer your LT is to HMP. Slower runners have LTs closer to 10m/10K pace.

In the absence of proper lactate measurements:
    The pace ecoli can roughly sustain for a hour is about 10 mile pace (hes sub 60, but more or less)

The pace that jake can sustain for an hour is about HMP (hes run a 64 min half).

Isnt it the other way around? The fitter you are the closer your LT is to HMP. Slower runners have LTs closer to 10m/10K pace.

In the absence of proper lactate measurements:
    The pace ecoli can roughly sustain for a hour is about 10 mile pace (hes sub 60, but more or less)

The pace that jake can sustain for an hour is about HMP (hes run a 64 min half).

Good spot , my bad - wrong way round, brains frazzled. But there's a caveat too. Jake's 10k pace is pretty much his HMP. So, HMP reps and 10k reps are pretty much the same at the moment. So, he needs the extra min to facilitate a natural increase in pace. The idea is to try and encourage him to run a bit faster at 10k EFFORT. This in turn will kick start an improvement in LT pace (as you rightly pointed out , which should be closer to HMP).

Friday 31st January
    a.m. 7 miles relaxed
    p.m. 6 miles relaxed (13)

Saturday 1st February

p.m. 7 miles with 6x100m stides.

81+ miles for the week - 5 doubles; no long run; couple of faster bits and pieces down to LT and a few sessions of strides.

It all starts to tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@ecoli

This para is by Kellogg with my insertions in the parenthesis ~ Continuous runs of 20 minutes which finish slightly above the threshold (5k-3k EFFORT)can be balanced with somewhat longer runs (35-40 minutes AT Progressions etc) which feature the majority at a fractionally slower pace but which still exceed the threshold for a brief period near the end (2-3 mins moving down to 5k and 3k EFFORT). Interchanging these sessions provides diversity in the routine and yields a slightly different stimulus from workout to workout. Moderately long repeats (8-10 mins) with rest periods which are short* relative to the run periods can accomplish the same purpose.

Kellogg, all by himself:
    All these types of sessions are useful at times and are actually synergistic if you know how to sequence them correctly. Improved lactate buffering can allow you to spend more time in that stage of exercise which exceeds the LT and hovers near the respiratory compensation point, since it is predominantly the bicarbonate system which prevents the blood pH from falling too low once the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA) is exceeded.

This was the bit which I was missing through your explanation with the introduction of the term lactate buffering rather than the idea of lactate tolerance. Looking at Jake's range I can see why you would recommend them in his incidence alright, it makes sense in his case.

I think Canova's alternation style workouts are a great example of this type of work. Its funny that you also mention "shuffling between HMP and MP" as these are part of the specific phase of the Marathon training (first one on the plan is actually down for next week) although these are probably more in line with the Canova and Simmons style alternations/Wave workouts

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    This was the bit which I was missing through your explanation with the introduction of the term lactate buffering rather than the idea of lactate tolerance. Looking at Jake's range I can see why you would recommend them in his incidence alright, it makes sense in his case.

I think Canova's alternation style workouts are a great example of this type of work. Its funny that you also mention "shuffling between HMP and MP" as these are part of the specific phase of the Marathon training (first one on the plan is actually down for next week) although these are probably more in line with the Canova and Simmons style alternations/Wave workouts

I was all over the place trying to explain it - I had it in my head, but it's another thing trying to put it down in a way that people can understand.

Those wave sessions are great and will probably give you a boost/small breakthrough - they are subtle but powerful. Because they aren't picking up huge amounts of lactate, the body adapts quickly - you'll notice on your long runs that you suddenly feel stronger and that things are falling into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Lactate buffering - Yoyos - Triggers... My head hurts..

Can we not just go back to the barefoot debate ;):D

Never mind Lactate and yoyos and barefoot running - this is what it's all about; don't know where she gets the story telling from. She being the naughty one from last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi stazza.

Some very interesting ideas. I have to admit though, we are only getting snippets and not the overall framework or underlying system. This feels like splitting an already comlex idea into a jig-saw puzzle. I trust the training is sound but with restricted time, my best use if it is to drop back in, in a few weeks when you have all your ideas down, and piece it together then. Till then, back to my base!

T runner wrote: »
    Hi stazza.

Some very interesting ideas. I have to admit though, we are only getting snippets and not the overall framework or underlying system. This feels like splitting an already complex idea into a jig-saw puzzle. I trust the training is sound but with restricted time, my best use if it is to drop back in, in a few weeks when you have all your ideas down, and piece it together then. Till then, back to my base!

I completely agree with you T. I started out working through Jake's initial schedule and was posting my thoughts live (so to speak) - then I got side-tracked with a whole host of things and didn't get anyway near getting started.

Now that the initial excitement has settled to a simmer and I have Jake's initial stage out of the way and he's got something to work off, which he understands etc, I should be able to settle things down a bit.

But yeah, you've got loads on your plate at the moment and you should focus on those things rather than having to come in and deflect the bombardments:) Thanks for your help and clear explanations of certain issues - much appreciated. I've got a good bit of time that I allocate to this sort of stuff so I can 'steer' it.

I've got a few good things lined up and more in the pipeline. When there's anything that I think might interest you, I'll give you a nod.

Thanks again for your help and I'll be watching with interest how you go. Good luck with the training - I'm rooting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Lactate buffering - Yoyos - Triggers... My head hurts..

Can we not just go back to the barefoot debate ;):D

I step away for a day and this thread grows by a few pages. I almost lost track of the fact that Stazza actually went for a run or two :)

I'm really enjoying the discussion. I like that people are thinking critically. I put Stazza is something of a bind because I wanted to have an outline for the month of February... partly to adjust my own work schedule (I try to arrange to get into the office an hour or so later on hard workout days when possible)... and I also like to have a good idea of what I have coming up.

Anyways - good thoughts all around. I hope we continue to talk, tweak, and run really fast as a result!

jakek wrote: »
    I step away for a day and this thread grows by a few pages. I almost lost track of the fact that Stazza actually went for a run or two :)

I'm really enjoying the discussion. I like that people are thinking critically. I put Stazza is something of a bind because I wanted to have an outline for the month of February... partly to adjust my own work schedule (I try to arrange to get into the office an hour or so later on hard workout days when possible)... and I also like to have a good idea of what I have coming up.

Anyways - good thoughts all around. I hope we continue to talk, tweak, and run really fast as a result!

There's tweaking and then there's twerking - sounds like you guys were doing more twerking than tweaking on that 20 miler yesterday. :D

Jake, spotted that you’re moving the workout forward to tonight to beat the snow – good move.

Just a couple of reminders:

1. During both reps you should feel smooth and relaxed – even during the final 3 mins when you move down to 5k and 3k EFFORT. It’s important that you don’t tie-up or have to fight it out.

2. The bulk of the workload is the EFFORT you feel you can maintain for 60 mins, it’s better to be slightly slower than slightly faster – we’re looking @HM EFFORT.

Good luck.

Outline Plan for The Year

Goal: 5k ~ 15:20 = 3:04 for ea KM
    K.P.I. ~ 4x1 mile – 4:52-4 off 90 secs
    Target date ~ Sept-Nov

S.W.O.T. ~ to follow…

Stress ~ Recover ~ Adapt - Progressive

Sep – Nov ~ Racing and sharpening.

Jul – Sept ~ Mileage (80+) modified multi-tier training; occasional race to monitor progression and tweak.

May – June ~ Mileage (100-110) AT; hills (8x8 sec blasts and 200m-400m reps);LT shuffles and shunts; transition from G.S.E. to S.E. reps; speed dev.; tri’s and intro of plyo drills; GSM; AIS; Benchmark races 5k and 10k.

Mar – Apr ~ Mileage (100-110); AT; LT bounces – high density and low density reps + TT’s; G.S.E.(non plyo); flying 50’s; intro 8x8 secs hill blasts; intro tri’s; drills; GSM.; AIS.

Feb ~ Mileage (100-110); AT work; introductory LT triggering 5k&3k work; Functional strength; strides (8x100m); Basic drills. GSM; AIS.

Note -Will do weekly training updates - explanations of the various stages to follow over the week...

Posting the splits from my 2x20 workout yesterday... I'll let Stazza take it from here...

Untitled.png

• Advertisement

jakek wrote: »
    Posting the splits from my 2x20 workout yesterday... I'll let Stazza take it from here...

Untitled.png

1:07:26.

At the recent USA half marathon champs Jake ran 1:07:26 (5:09 pace) off the back of very little/no specific training; he was just starting back after a two break following the California International Marathon.

Although the ‘naughty boy’ (:p) wore his Garmin for the workout – he only used it so he could look at the splits after, which will prove quite handy. The AP for the two reps were on the button compared to his recent 1:07:26 – the good news with that is he did the workout at moderate altitude compared to the race, which was at sea level. Also, he felt as though he could have done another repeat – perfect. And, the session was done off Feel/EFFORT.

On the final rep he appears to have gone through the gears nicely and with time he’ll wedge open and improve those different paces, which in turn – with the other elements of his training - will help improve his LT and HM.

His next LT session is 4x10 mins off 2 mins…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

oops! disregard!

Training

Sunday 2nd Feb

a.m. 9 miles. Planned on doing a medium Long run (14) but legs felt heavy. Thought that I might be fighting off something or that I’d shed a few pounds – cut run short to be safe. Fortuitously, it transpired that I’d shed a couple of pounds. Need to make sure that I’m eating enough and not dropping the weight too quickly.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Legs still felt a bit heavy. Got a 50 min nap in the afternoon

AIS before and after both runs.

(15)

Monday 3rd Feb

a.m. 9 miles ez with Paddy the Kenyan. Felt a bit tired but nothing out of the ordinary. Good run, PtK showed me some new routes and places to do my LT workouts.

p.m. 6 miles relaxed. Felt much better. Zip’s back in the legs. 60 min nap after lunch.

Would normally keep the morning run down to an 8 but it just worked out to be a 9. Need to keep an eye on the miles this week. Should be between 100-110.

AIS before and after both runs.

(15)

Tuesday 4th Feb

a.m. 13 miles. 4 miles steady then dropped out 4x30 sec @ 5k pace to wake up the body. When I hit the 7 mile mark I set off on an effort that was a tad slower than LT effort -did about 18 mins (no watch). The first 5-6 mins were flat and felt fine but the rest of the effort (12 mins or so) was a gentle climb and into the wind. Didn’t feel fast at all, but managed to stay on the right side of threshold. 2 min jog and then did another 10 mins or so with the final 3(ish) mins moving down to 10k-5k-3k Effort. This rep felt much better and was defo faster – the wind helped. A good 4—5 mins were uphill but I remained relaxed and didn’t cross the threshold. Carried the form over into the final 3 mins. Good to do something moving towards a real workout.

Cooled down on part of the Tralee Marathon course and was thinking to myself: what, with all of those hills and if the weather turns nasty, the 3hr pacer :) might have a tough day. But then, I thought, not a bother to him.

A.I.S. before and after run. 50 min nap in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cooled down on part of the Tralee Marathon course and was thinking to myself: what, with all of those hills and if the weather turns nasty, the 3hr pacer :) might have a tough day.

May I point out that if the weather turns nasty on that course EVERYONE will have a tough day! :)

Except me as I'm only doing it as a training run.

You could go round twice and that'd be a warm up:) If you need any drinks or anything like that let me know, I'm hoping to get out there again this year. Mind you, if you're doing it as a training run you'll probably not need anything being an ultra warrior and all that:)

Good to see you getting your mojo back...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You could go round twice and that'd be a warm up:) If you need any drinks or anything like that let me know, I'm hoping to get out there again this year. Mind you, if you're doing it as a training run you'll probably not need anything being an ultra warrior and all that:)

Good to see you getting your mojo back...

Thanks mate but you look after Paddy the Kenyan. I'll be fine.

SWOT

Strengths

1. Even though I’ve been out of the sport most of my adult life, I was able to build up to 100 mpw within 10 months without any injury worries. Although I did get injured around the 14 month mark (3 months out with neural problems from Magness-type hill circuits) I recovered and built back up again to circa100 + mpw with High End Aerobic work, LT work/LT shuffles and shunts, and strides, plus the odd faster session. Off this, I managed to get into 16-16:30 5k shape/ 33-34 10k shape. Bottom line – body responds well to training, even after years of abuse.
    2. Great diet, which aids the recovery process.
    3. Good sleep plus afternoon naps.
    4. Disciplined approached to stretching and mobility
    5. Haven’t lost too much speed – speed will probably improve with some work.
    6. Training twice a day isn’t an issue

Weaknesses
    1. Although I can handle high training loads and work capacity, there is a structural weakness: peroneal tendon subluxation, which creates kinetic chain problems in the achilles and soleus. But it’s manageable.
    2. Aerobic endurance. Even though I can bang out the miles, my aerobic endurance isn’t as good as it should be.
    3. General conditioning is poor from many years of neglect.
    4. Age related stuff (from different sources) - Heart is less efficient, decline in maximal heart rate and maximal cardiac output, and decline in leg blood flow. Reduction in oxidative enzyme activity. Reduction in max breathing capacity. Loss of elasticity in lung tissue. Decrease in Vital Capacity and Forced Expired Volume. Loss of muscle tissue. Reduction in muscle protein synthesis. Body comp – muscle declines - fat increases (decrease in metabolic rate). Flexibility decreases for all sorts of reasons. (Might as well take up darts.)

Opportunities

1. Structured work on general strength and mobility, functional strength, muscular and speed endurance.
    2. Introduction of pure speed work.
    3. Introduction of muscular endurance sessions (non-plyo hill circuits), progressive LT and LT shunt/shuffle sessions as way of progression into modified multi-tier training.
    4. Develop aerobic endurance with High End Aerobic Builders and AT work.
    5. Set up a foundation for 2015 – when it really matters.

Threats
    1. Injuries from the mismanagement of training (moving to the track too soon etc.)
    2. Might drop dead.

SWOT
    2. Might drop dead.

This is a great post. The type of objective thinking everyone should do at the beginning of a year (or a season).

Staying alive is integral to breaking 15:20 :pac:

Modified Multi–Tier/Multi-pace Training (Adapted from Coe&Martin, and Horwill)

The Key Performance Indicator (K.P.I.) is 4x 1mile in 4:52 off 90 secs jog rec.
    Secondary K.P.I.’s –
    3x2 miles @ 5:08 pace off 2 mins
    5x800m2:18 off 2 mins
    8x400m65 secsoff 90 secs
    8x200m30/31 secs off 90 secs

The backbone workouts:
    Medium long run with AT element
    8x200m – 800 pace – off 90 secs
    8x400m – 1500m pace - off 90 secs (4secs slower per 400m than 8x200m session)
    5x800m – 3000m pace off 2 mins (4 secs slower per 400m than 8x400m session)
    4x1 mile – 5k pace off 90 secs (4secs slower per 400m than 5x800m session)
    3x2 miles – 10k pace off 2 mins (4 secs slower per 400m than 4x1 mile session)
    Recovery runs and shakeouts

eg
    2min pace for 800m = 30 secs for 200 reps = 60 sec for ea 400m
    4 min pace for 1500m = 64 secs for ea 400m
    8:30 pace for 3k = 68 secs for ea 400m
    15 min pace for 5k = 72 secs for ea 400m
    31:30 pace for 10k = 76 secs for ea 400m

The sessions are interspersed with shakeouts and recovery days (double runs). Each time a cycle is completed the reps improve – eg ~
    Mile rep progressions from 5:20 start point
    5:20
    5:16
    5:12
    5:08
    5:04
    5:00
    4:56
    4:52
    So, 8 cycles to get from 5:20 (16:37ish for 5k ) mile pace down to 4:52 pace or from 80 secs per 400m down to 73 secs per 400m. More probable that the starting point will be closer to 16:00-16:15, which in turn means that only 6 cycles would be required. But by planning in two extra cycles allows for the unexpected etc.

To do the above I need to make sure that the training from Feb-Jun prepares my body to cope with the above. Next, I’ll explain how I plan to be able to cope with the above – if, I don’t drop dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'll watch for these sessions with interest.
    Will you do multiple paces in one session or separate.
    Either way you should be in good shape to take on any distance from 800 to 10K.
    Will you do any track races this summer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement