Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthopedic Surgeon Alternatives

Options
  • 10-01-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi

I have an IM Nail that was surgically placed in my right tibia 2 years ago.

I've had my most recent check up and I am looking to have the lock in screws removed from my ankle as I want to get back playing football and at the minute they prevent me being able to kick a ball.

I got the go ahead from Beaumont Hospital but the next available date is 9 months away.

I was wondering if anyone knew of places this could be done privately and that's not outrageously expensive as I'm a student and health insurance is not something I can afford at present but want to have it done asap to avoid another year out of the game.

Any recommendations advice about the procedure would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

leduigs wrote: »
    Hi

I have an IM Nail that was surgically placed in my right tibia 2 years ago.

I've had my most recent check up and I am looking to have the lock in screws removed from my ankle as I want to get back playing football and at the minute they prevent me being able to kick a ball.

I got the go ahead from Beaumont Hospital but the next available date is 9 months away.

I was wondering if anyone knew of places this could be done privately and that's not outrageously expensive as I'm a student and health insurance is not something I can afford at present but want to have it done asap to avoid another year out of the game.

Any recommendations advice about the procedure would be great.

Thanks

9mnths is actually very quick going public (nurse from orthopedic background). If u were to get health insurance it wouldn't kick in until after the 1st 6 months anyway. I have no idea hw much it would cost if you were just to pay and get it done sooner but I can tell you I got a 10min procedure done recently, 2 stitches from it and it cost 300 for the hospital never mind doctors fees. Sorry can't give you any better news :/
    I know cappagh do procedures like that if you wanted to check if your consultant works there?List might be sshorter

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Hi Rosey, thanks for that. My surgeon works in Santry too and I got a quote of about €1,682 for doctor, bed and anesthetist.
    I'll check in Cappagh too but I'm guessing I'll have to pay.

Do you think there would be any point in looking up North.

Also they gave me a code 4320 for getting it priced, do you know is this a universal coding system across the HSE?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

leduigs wrote: »
    Hi Rosey, thanks for that. My surgeon works in Santry too and I got a quote of about €1,682 for doctor, bed and anesthetist.
    I'll check in Cappagh too but I'm guessing I'll have to pay.

Do you think there would be any point in looking up North.

Also they gave me a code 4320 for getting it priced, do you know is this a universal coding system across the HSE?

Thanks again

That seems like a very good quote for santry. On the procedure code, yes this is universal with all hospitals. In the health insurance there is no point as it won't cover the procedure for 5 years (I work in health insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

That seems like a very good quote for santry. On the procedure code, yes this is universal with all hospitals. In the health insurance there is no point as it won't cover the procedure for 5 years (I work in health insurance)

Okay well that's good to hear, I thought it may be cheaper, they bed for the day is €1,200 but the other two expenses worked out cheapr. Yea I thought as much with the health insurance as the accident happened prior to any cover being taken out.

Still want to see up the North, if I quote that code then they'll be able to quote me.

Thanks a million for the help, muchos appreciated :)

Advertisement