Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two new housing developments for Dunshaughlin?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

An Bord Pleanala advises that an appeal against a development at Maelduin behind Main Street has been withdrawn.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/301304.htm

[font=Verdana, Arial, Georgia, Helvetica, sans]Development will consist of a fully serviced residential development comprising of 24 no. units in two blocks. Block A comprising of a 4 storey apartment block incorporating 14 no. 2 bed apartments and 2 no. 1 bed apartments (total 16 no.). Block B comprising of a 3 storey block containing 8 no. 3 bed townhouses. Development to include public open space, refuse bin and bicycle storage enclosure, new vehicular access, parking, service road, connection to public services, landscaping and all ancillary works. Significant further information/revised plans submitted on this application[/font]

[th]ame[/th]
    [th]County[/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    1991-04-21
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    1996-04-28
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2002-04-28
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2006-04-23
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2011-04-10
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2016-04-24
    [/th]
    [/tr]
    Dunshaughlin Meath 1,275 2,139 3,063 3,384 3,903 4,035

Source: Central Statistics Office, Ireland (web).

According to CSO Census, the population of Dunshaughlin has effectively doubled in 20 years.  Considering there was hardly any building during the recession up to 2016 and so much since, I expect the next census in 2021 (just 3 years away) will post a significant population increase with all the new homes and apartments being constructed in the last and next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

ongarboy wrote: »
    [th]ame[/th]
    [th]County[/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    1991-04-21
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    1996-04-28
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2002-04-28
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2006-04-23
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2011-04-10
    [/th]
    [th]Population
    Census
    2016-04-24
    [/th]
    [/tr]
    Dunshaughlin Meath 1,275 2,139 3,063 3,384 3,903 4,035

According to CSO Census, the population of Dunshaughlin has effectively doubled in 20 years.  Considering there was hardly any building during the recession up to 2016 and so much since, I expect the next census in 2021 (just 3 years away) will post a significant population increase with all the new homes and apartments being constructed in the last and next couple of years.

It can seem a little daunting and I'm sure people may be a bit apprehensive about such an explosion in population in Dunshaughlin. But if you consider the fact that Ratoath currently has a population far more than double Dunshaughlin's at over 9,500, then it doesn't seem too be too bad a change. Once the planning and proper infrastructure are in place and there aren't too many apartment blocks built then I think it will be a great thing for the village.

New Lidl, new petrol stations, restaurants, pharmacies etc and lots more young couples etc will bring so much more life to a village which in fairness didn't have a whole lot going for it really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think all these developments are fantastic for Dunshaughlin. The village really seemed to be forgotten about during the Celtic Tiger era and right up to last year.

Since Lidl got the go ahead, it seems that life has sprung up all around it since. We have two new coffee shops including Costa Coffee coming to the village, we gained a new restaurant and several new large estates being built. Hopefully there will be more restaurants. When all homes and apartments are completed within the next three years, we're going to need even more services and shops/restaurants to the village. I reckon the population will increase from it's current 4,000 to about 7,000 by the next census.

I would like to see a hotel, leisure centre and possibly small retail park added to the town over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

ongarboy wrote: »

Dunshaughlin, County Meath

Census Population
    21/04/1991 1,275
    28/04/1996 2,139
    28/04/2002 3,063
    23/04/2006 3,384
    10/04/2011 3,903
    24/04/2016 4,035

@ ongarboy - I cleaned up the tablet in your quote (Hope you don't mind)

I heard last year from a councilor, that the population of Dunshaughlin is set to double in the next 4 years, I didn't believe it at the time, but now it sure looks true.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I thought the post disappeared somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

There are Pros and cons to the growth in Dunshaughlin we are experiencing.

What do you think are the cons as most are looking at this from a positive perspective.
    More Traffic, crime, pollution ? would we eventually need a full time Garda station and traffic wardens?

Would be interesting to here peoples views on the cons ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunshaughlin will definitely experience an increase in traffic over the next few years. I can see the main street getting very congested, back to the levels before the M3 was built.

We will need more services in about 5 years time. Full time Garda station will definitely be required, we should have that in place already.

We will need another secondary school, I'm sure I read recently that the Community College is full to capacity and that they are starting to turn away students from areas like Culmullen. We will either need a new secondary school or the community college will need another extension.

There will need to be more leisure facilities at some point as well. A hotel with a leisure center attached to it would be a great bonus for Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We were viewing the willows over the weekend and were told there is a new school planned nearby, not sure if it's primary or secondary, or how far away it would be. Also with the phase 2 the road will open up access to land that the local clubs can use apparently.

We weren't able to secure one of the remaining houses in the first phase but we were really impressed with Dunshauglin in general. I haven't been there since stopping in the chipper there on the way through it about 10 years ago, but it seems to still have that nice village feel to it despite the recent growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

I was checking these house lastnight I couldn't really see but are they timber frame houses. Would I need to be worried about that. Here alot of storys around noise of next door etc because of timber.

Also does anyone already commute to dublin city centre from here. I work on South George's Street, Dublin just wondering about transport, times etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

skulltown wrote: »
    I was checking these house lastnight I couldn't really see but are they timber frame houses. Would I need to be worried about that. Here alot of storys around noise of next door etc because of timber.

Also does anyone already commute to dublin city centre from here. I work on South George's Street, Dublin just wondering about transport, times etc.

Personally I don't find the timber frame any worse for noise. I live in a 10yr old one so I'd imagine they are even better now.

For commuting you've
    Bus Eireann - route 109/b
    Sillan bus
    Or Irish rail from M3 Parkway 15min drive

All have tax saver options

Plenty of people commuting. You might get up to date travel times/ experience in the Commuting forum.

I'd test these as well on a midweek morning to see if it's feasible for you before committing

tara83 wrote: »
    Personally I don't find the timber frame any worse for noise. I live in a 10yr old one so I'd imagine they are even better now.

For commuting you've
    Bus Eireann - route 109/b
    Sillan bus
    Or Irish rail from M3 Parkway 15min drive

All have tax saver options

Plenty of people commuting. You might get up to date travel times/ experience in the Commuting forum.

I'd test these as well on a midweek morning to see if it's feasible for you before committing

Thanks a million. Yes I am going to try it on a Wednesday next week give it a trial run. Thanks for the information.

skulltown wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Yes I am going to try it on a Wednesday next week give it a trial run. Thanks for the information.

If the times for Sillan work, they are reliable and faster then Bus Eireann. Train is usually within 5mins of the expected time but getting very busy, trains packed at peak times

Think we are going for the type H house in the Willows. Put deposit down. Anyone live in that house type already?I know there is a few house build already in the willows

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DarrenKayla

Hi all hope to get keys for our house in the willows in January. Is anyone currently commuting to dublin using the 109 bus eireann bus? Just wondering how long the commute really is, bus eireann website quoting 45 minutes, is that right? I would be commuting at peak times.

Hi all hope to get keys for our house in the willows in January. Is anyone currently commuting to dublin using the 109 bus eireann bus? Just wondering how long the commute really is, bus eireann website quoting 45 minutes, is that right? I would be commuting at peak times.

Bus Eireann commute to Dublin is about 45 minutes off peak and about 60-85 minutes during the rush hours.

The bus service itself is hit and miss, sometimes it's on time, other times buses don't even show up or skip the town altogether if full. The Bus service is nowhere nearly as good as it used to be since half the buses just by-pass Dunshaughlin and use the motorway from/to Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DarrenKayla

Gonzo wrote: »
    Bus Eireann commute to Dublin is about 45 minutes off peak and about 60-85 minutes during the rush hours.

The bus service itself is hit and miss, sometimes it's on time, other times buses don't even show up or skip the town altogether if full. The Bus service is nowhere nearly as good as it used to be since half the buses just by-pass Dunshaughlin and use the motorway from/to Navan.

Thanks.

I could change my hours slightly meaning I would be on the bus at 7am heading for dublin and 4.30pm heading back to Dunshaughlin, do you know if these commuting times would be better than 60-85 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Thanks.

I could change my hours slightly meaning I would be on the bus at 7am heading for dublin and 4.30pm heading back to Dunshaughlin, do you know if these commuting times would be better than 60-85 minutes?

I get a bus at 7.30am and usually get to O’Connell St for 8.20-8.30. Depends greatly on the weather and what day of the week it is. Monday to Wednesday tend to be the worst. Coming home around 5 is generally 60-90 minutes. Even if you leave at 4.30 I would expect around an hour.

I did it from the village to O'Connell street on 109 bus in 55 minutes. Left at 7:15 bus came late. Good luck in new house we just put a deposit on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭rock27

For anybody currently moved into the Willows, what is the current status of the broadband connections? Are you currently connected using fibre or is this a while off? Are you using dongles or other methods for internet access?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

The Sillan bus goes from Dunshaughlin 3 times in the morning and 3/4 times back to Dunshaughlin in the evening. I get the bus at 7.20 and get off the bus at the Shelbourne anytime between 8.10 and 8.25. The bus home is a little longer as the driver insists on going through the toll and into the village the back way...theres a bus at 5.10 from Nassau street and gets to the village around 6/6.10. Hope this helps!

rock27 wrote: »
    For anybody currently moved into the Willows, what is the current status of the broadband connections? Are you currently connected using fibre or is this a while off? Are you using dongles or other methods for internet access?

If you're on Facebook join Dunshaughlin Grapevine. Damien O Reilly local CC has an update regarding broadband in the Willows. Possibly fibre by year end with Virgin.

Cheers Tara, I saw that.

I sent Damien and a few other councillors emails last night and to be fair Damien followed up with MCC within a day.

The news of an additional company potentially doing the work is good news, so hopefully it's not too long more!

QUOTE=tara83;108307261]If you're on Facebook join Dunshaughlin Grapevine. Damien O Reilly local CC has an update regarding broadband in the Willows. Possibly fibre by year end with Virgin.[/QUOTE]

I just tried phoning Virgin to raise a ticket about getting a connection into the estate. If you are living in the estate at the moment without broadband, it may be worth calling them too and logging it. The more tickets/interest they see from the development looking to connect to them may help speed up the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kevin milne

Hi looking to buy in the willows. What's it like at present for family's. Have kids 6 and 9 and I'm hoping there's other children that age etc. What would the pros and cons be for living in the willows.

Thank you

Advertisement