Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraudulent Transaction Issue

Options
  • 10-01-2014 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, I' hoping someone can give me some advise.
    My friend has just been involved in a credit card fraud incident where an unauthorised charge of approximately 1,500 euros was charged against his credit card. He had received an email at the start of Jan that he thought was from PayPal asking him to update his PayPal account profile. Unfortunately this was a fraudulent email and he did update his credit card details on the web link provided.
    When he went to Bank Of Ireland regarding this, they told him there was nothing they could do and that he will have to pay the 1,500 euros he owes on the credit card even though this was fraudulent transaction that he didn't authorise or instruct.
    What are his options? I would have expected the credit card company would have removed the transaction from the account and cancelled the credit card immediately. They have just done the latter. The bank said he would be contacted by the fraud team on Monday but there was nothing they could do and he would have to pay the charges.
    Is the above correct? Is there anyway he can avoid paying this as it was a fraudulent transaction?
    Thanks in advance for any advise given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rtfm

Assuming here that this is a BOI credit card? He is entitled to dispute the transaction on the basis of fraud and if he is persistent enough he should be OK. He needs to get on the phone with the fraud team, explain the circumstances and document EVERYTHING. Send the result of the conversation in a letter (who he talked to, when, and what actions were taken) to his bank manager and ask for a meeting to discuss. Keep contacting the fraud team until he gets a response.

Persistence is the key here, he did something foolish however it wasn't maliciously stupid so ultimately he should be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

When you knowingly or unknowingly give someone your card details, you are liable for any charges to that card. Simple as. People seem to think that saying catchphrases like "didn't instruct" or "wasn't authorised" have any bearing on that; they don't. It's a cardholder's responsibility to keep their details private. I'm not getting at you with this OP, just stating in general. The bank may be able to retrieve the funds. May. And if they can, they certainly will. They don't like fraud any more than anyone else. But if they can't, your friend will have to pay. An expensive lesson to learn. But giving your details to anyone by e-mail is beyond stupid. Hopefully they can sort something out for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭9fcdhzkx46apgr

Thank you both for your advice. If someone is not using a PC day to day and is familiar with the types of spam and other crap that can hit your mailbox, this can easily happen. Hopefully he doesn't need pay this.

Advertisement