Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Teaching

Options
  • 10-01-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭

Does anybody happen to have the list of recognised degrees to be qualified to teach at post-primary level? The link on the teaching council website just keeps redirecting me to the home page.

I am in my final year of college, studying a Bachelor of Business in Recreation & Sports Management, as far as I'm aware it will not allow me to teach P.E, but it will let me teach Business, but would like to double check if my course is on the list.

I am very much just looking for ideas for when I finish up, but would anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject know if there is a way I could go on to teach P.E and Business? Am I correct in saying you need two subjects to be a secondary school teacher? Just wondering what my options are or if this is a complete no go area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

Here's a link to the page for "Degrees Recognised by the Teaching Council for the Purpose of Post Primary teaching" on the Postgrad Application Centre website

http://www.pac.ie/pmeinfo/recogniseddegrees.php?inst=pe

You should find any info you need here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thanks very much Bobblehead Panda. As I suspected my course is recognised to teach business. Could anyone help me out as regards to how I would become a teacher though? (i.e second subject)

P.E would be the dream, and as my course was Recreation & Sports management would this stand to me in any way? If not, is it just a case where I would have to do another 4 year degree in another subject in order to progress on to become a teacher?

Advertisement