Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receding Hairline See Mod warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

<mod snip>
    The issue that I'm pointing out is that balding is part of the reality of being male. It is not an illness and I really strongly feel that guys are being put under undue social pressure about their lack of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    no im not using minoxidil as i have heard the hairs that grow back can be like peach fuzz but obvioulsy some people have also had good regrowth using it.

Also i feel that maybe a year down the line if i retain my hair i can still have the option of starting minoxidil, i wouldnt like to use both yet as i would not be sure which is actually working. WHat is your patern of baldness?

I am nw2-3. <mod snip>
    Minoxidil is defiantly worth getting on for maximum results. It hasn't given me peach nor has it regrown my temples.
    I started on that 3 months ago. It has improved my receded temples. I keep my hair kind of long and down over my forehead. Before minox there was a noticeable gap showing where my hair was receding but that gap is no longer visible now. You can only see that my hairline has receded if I pull my hair back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

<mod snip>

Iopu wrote: »
    I am nw2-3.
    Minoxidil is defiantly worth getting on for maximum results. It hasn't given me peach nor has it regrown my temples.
    I started on that 3 months ago. It has improved my receded temples. I keep my hair kind of long and down over my forehead. Before minox there was a noticeable gap showing where my hair was receding but that gap is no longer visible now. You can only see that my hairline has receded if I pull my hair back.

I have always kept long hair so you can see that its receded and the sides have slight thinning that i hope to thicken up <mod snip>. I might try mino in the future i will see how the <mod snip> goes first, its labour intensive using the minox. <mod snip>

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Good luck with it.

Thanks i am not trying to argue with you but i am just stating the facts as all drugs have sides such as aspirin for example but you dont hear people on internet forums trying to stop people from taking the drug. out of interest are you bald or balding.

Out of interest, yes I am.

Only major annoyance I have is that I had ear surgery that left a noticeable but neat scar on my scalp behind my ear. Basically they had to take a graft of tissue from under my scalp to patch a hole in my eardrum and they also go in via an incision behind the ear where it folds, not through the earhole ...

So I'm left with a line that extends from the back of my ear into my scalp.

While I'm fine with the balding issue, I'm now getting people commenting on my 'plastic surgery'… a barber acutely asked if I'd had a face lift! I'm in my 20s ffs!

That's my only major annoyance about it, but luckily one that most people don't have.

Hair tended to completely hide it to all but barbers and people looking with great interest behind my ear.

That's the only thing that makes me feel a bit self consciousness.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Out of interest, yes I am.

Only major annoyance I have is that I had ear surgery that left a noticeable but neat scar on my scalp behind my ear. Basically they had to take a graft of tissue from under my scalp to patch a hole in my eardrum and they also go in via an incision behind the ear where it folds, not through the earhole ...

So I'm left with a line that extends from the back of my ear into my scalp.

While I'm fine with the balding issue, I'm now getting people commenting on my 'plastic surgery'… a barber acutely asked if I'd had a face lift! I'm in my 20s ffs!

That's my only major annoyance about it, but luckily one that most people don't have.

Hair tended to completely hide it to all but barbers and people looking with great interest behind my ear.

That's the only thing that makes me feel a bit self consciousness.
    thats fare enough for my situation as sinlge lad mid 30s i feel alot better about trying the opposite sex with a head of hair. I just think that if i dont try something i will regret it more so than the fear of getting side effects <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

<mod snip> Whenever I quit caffeine I feel amazing. <mod snip>

thats entriely up to you but i know for me personally that i will go bald and that will make me feel alot worse than at least trying the drug. Hopefully i can keep what i have for couple years and some newer treatment will be avilable in the meantime. As mentioned earlier i would have low self esteem for rest of my life if i went bald.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - There is already a mod warning in post #39 about discussion of prescription medication. Any more chat about any drugs that are not over the counter will incur mod actions.
    Relevant posts snipped.
    PM myself or one of the other mods if any queries

• Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

OldRio wrote: »
    Good point CS.

I had thin hair at the age of 18. Therefore I had it cut short and neat.
    I accepted the fact and by the time I was 30, well, not much left. I now have a number 1 cut on the razor.

Many men do suffer from serious angst because of baldness. It must be awful. Of course when other men see that weakness in you, they take the P.

Some people who don't know me and are feeling bold try and take the P.
    All you do is laugh with them and take the p out of yourself. Lull them into a false sense of security and then fecking destroy them. Easy peasy. If they can give you ****e you give it back. Keep it light hearted.

Whatever you feel comfortable doing. Do it. Your life. Your self esteem.
    Your bloody sanity at the end of the day. Good luck.

I agree with this post, my brother is the worst offender for giving me grief about the fact that he is older and has a full head of hair, I don't let on that it gets to me but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian.85

I had a transplant here in Ireland, got it when I was 27. I am delighted with it, best decision I ever made. I can answer any questions you might have, not 100% sure if I will know all the technical stuff but I will do my best.

Got 2500 FUE done.

Reading over this topic I see others have suffered same as I. Why is it people think it is ok to point out that you are receding? Nobody ever says "your getting fat" or other insults but it is ok to taunt balding guys? I'd rather be called fat as I know it would be my fault & I can do something about that myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 jfeury

Hey Brian, I had a hair transplant too over 3000 hairs at the age of 25, best decision of my life also, I am in Dublin what about you? What are your plans for the future, would be great to talk to you more... Joe

NakedClone wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm panicking big time here.
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but whatever.

A few weeks ago I noticed the hair at my temples was thinning, needless to say, I was bricking it. Now the hair at my temples has receded and the front is too.

I'm really, really, worrying here because, and I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm only 15. I haven't told my parents yet either.

Is there anything available that can stop this or if not, slow the process?
    Just put yourself in my shoes and understand why I'm worrying so much.

Hey, I have been losing hair for 10 here and it had taken over my life, but I now have a full head of hair at 28... Would be good to help you out, I know I can...

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    thats entriely up to you but i know for me personally that i will go bald and that will make me feel alot worse than at least trying the drug. Hopefully i can keep what i have for couple years and some newer treatment will be avilable in the meantime. As mentioned earlier i would have low self esteem for rest of my life if i went bald.

Hey I have had hair loss for 10 years and now have a full head of hair, I know I can help. Joe

I agree with this post, my brother is the worst offender for giving me grief about the fact that he is older and has a full head of hair, I don't let on that it gets to me but it does.

Hi I HAVE HAIR LOSS 10 YEARS now and I have the answer to hair loss if you want to have hair.. I am from Galway but living and working in Dublin... If you are losing hair, I know I can help you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jfeury wrote: »
    Hi I HAVE HAIR LOSS 10 YEARS now and I have the answer to hair loss if you want to have hair.. I am from Galway but living and working in Dublin... If you are losing hair, I know I can help you!

Do you own a wig shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Obvious shill is obvious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thanks for the offer but I'm ok with the shaved head.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Do you own a wig shop?

Made me chuckle.

I'm not offering that level of help, but I thought if anyone had any questions for me I could help out. It was a major major decision and it took me months to make it. Thankfully I had support from my family & SO. I know I was younger than most who get it done, but for me correct decision.

Although I hate the guy, Wayne Rooney did a lot for men like myself, I wasn't even aware how accessible a transplant was.

NakedClone wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm panicking big time here.
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but whatever.

A few weeks ago I noticed the hair at my temples was thinning, needless to say, I was bricking it. Now the hair at my temples has receded and the front is too.

I'm really, really, worrying here because, and I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm only 15. I haven't told my parents yet either.

Is there anything available that can stop this or if not, slow the process?
    Just put yourself in my shoes and understand why I'm worrying so much.

Not sure if you have ever returned to the forum but if you have, and you can read this. Go to you GP. That sounds like alopecia, also google alopecia you can find help there. It sounds too fast / young age to be typical balding.

Hey Brian, I had a hair transplant too over 3000 hairs at the age of 25, best decision of my life also, I am in Dublin what about you? What are your plans for the future, would be great to talk to you more... Joe

My plans for the future.... Not really sure, having a head of hair is my main plan for now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Brian.85 wrote: »
    My plans for the future.... Not really sure, having a head of hair is my main plan for now ;)

Hopefully, I'm not dragging the thread off topic, but out of interest, could you elaborate on how you your life has improved now that you have more hair? What issues did you previously have that are no longer existent? Do you find all your insecurities have vanished or just those related to your appearance?

It's just that the marketing you hear about these things imply that "you get your confidence back", "your happiness back", "your appeal to the opposite sex soars" etc. I'm just curious to know if underlying self esteem issues really do disappear once you regain a head of hair. Is it really that simple?

PS - I'm all for people improving themselves physically and mentally through any healthy means available. I'm bald and thankfully do not have a problem with it and don't believe it has ever adversely affected me but I am curious as to how other guys feel after having transplants done (and I'm not taking about the marketing spiel from the infomercials).

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

<mod snip> - off topic

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hopefully, I'm not dragging the thread off topic, but out of interest, could you elaborate on how you your life has improved now that you have more hair? What issues did you previously have that are no longer existent? Do you find all your insecurities have vanished or just those related to your appearance?

It's just that the marketing you hear about these things imply that "you get your confidence back", "your happiness back", "your appeal to the opposite sex soars" etc. I'm just curious to know if underlying self esteem issues really do disappear once you regain a head of hair. Is it really that simple?

PS - I'm all for people improving themselves physically and mentally through any healthy means available. I'm bald and thankfully do not have a problem with it and don't believe it has ever adversely affected me but I am curious as to how other guys feel after having transplants done (and I'm not taking about the marketing spiel from the infomercials).

Good question, now I will list what I feel has improved, but I suppose these could be considered coincidence or perhaps momentum could be involved. Confidence is a strange thing, very powerful yet extremely vulnerable.

<Edit> I had to cut away what I had written, it was beginning to look like an essay so took it away if anyone wants my full story I suppose I can PM it to you... <Edit 2> Ok so I cut away loads but this is still looking like a really long post apologies for that.

To sum up what I took away: I was extremely confident during my teenage years, lost a lot when I noticed hair loss. Before I met my current girlfriend I went through quite the barren spell (relationships) after noticing hair loss.

I suppose the main improvement for me was getting a job, I had been unemployed, for 3 years and that was just a crappy part time job. I got a real job less than 3 months after my HT (hair transplant). I am now head of my department, and looking to branch out into self employment. :D

I was already in a long term relationship so I can't say that my confidence in that department helped... but I do enjoy talking to women again, in-fact I am now the wing man of choice for my friends ;) as I feel free talking to women & I enjoy the craic of flirting again. I flirt and have banter then introduce my friend to her or her friend etc... If I was to be single I would say I'd have no problem approaching a woman to talk.

Another major factor for me is my own piece of mind, I hated seeing myself in the mirror. I was 27 going on 43. Some mirrors are fine but certain ones with the light shining ahhh, I hated it. I went a few years basically avoiding mirrors and I didn't bother to brush or style my hair. I'm finding it hard to get the correct words here, without sounding like a teenage girl. I just couldn't look at myself (my hair).

I became a hat-hider (a baldy who wears hats 24/7) I used to say stuff to my friends (I laugh now) that I really like hats, I've always worn hats etc... but now I know I was just hiding. What got me about this was (Seinfeld did a great piece on this) when to take off the hat, will there be amusement will she (if on a date) be disappointed... Now I only wear hats in the winter or maybe the one hot day of Irish summer we get :)

The worry is now gone too, every-time I looked in the mirror I was worrying about what I would end up looking like, now I can run my hands through my hair, or use product to style whatever I want. In fact some times in the bathroom when I catch my reflection I give a wry smile, and grin at myself in happiness, nobody else about just me, but feck it I'm happy looking at mirrors now.

Definitely my insecurities about my appearance have vanished, I'm not even sure if I have any other insecurities as my hair-loss dominated my thoughts so much.

I feel I look younger, and people treat me as if I am my age or younger, I'm not mistaken for a middle aged guy.

Jasus that ended up being a really long post, I am sorry if I bored anyone, that's me though may only be on the boards once a fortnight but will write ****loads when I do show up ;) I could talk for Ireland on this but I better stop or no one will ever read it.

Hope this helps answer your questions, if you have more fire them my way

TLDR: I got a sweet job, I don't hide under hats, I am not afraid to look in the mirror, I can talk to women again albeit for friends not myself. I do feel confident again (cliché I know,) look my age if not younger and I feel free (spent so much time worrying about hair-loss).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A great and insightful response - thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

My story would be like a lot of others, my hair in the last 5 years has started to receed a lot, im not into the idea of getting my head shaved, as well my head shape isnt exactly suitable for a shaved head. My hair is thinning just down from my crown towards the front of my head. A lot of my friends have commented on it and how rapidly its starting to thin. I dont want to go into the stage of the dreaded combover, as i'd look like a bit of a pleb.

I heard of some places like HRBR and the Ailesbury Clinic. Has anyone been to these places and got a procedure done with these clinics. I mean, how did they find them, treatment wise, price wise and more importantly are they happy with what they got done??? Thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I have to say - going bald bugged the hell out of me. I'm in good shape and feel great, but I might catch my reflection in a window, see the bald spot and suddenly I'm thinking "****, I look OLD". There's just a big disconnect there between how I feel and how I look - it's like seeing someone else's reflection. It's not just about ageing - I have wrinkles around my eyes and lots of gray in my beard and hair that don't bother me in the slightest. But with the balding, I look unhealthy, IMO.

Also there are practical reasons to hate it. Sunburn in summer, and it's tough to apply sun cream until the hair is completely gone. Cold rain falling on bare head in winter isn't nice. (Wearing a stupid hat is not an option). Plus, you'd be surprised the little bit of padding a bit of hair gives you when you bang your head.

So, I shaved my head. Hated that. I'm a little bit muscular (not bragging) so with a shaved head I looked like a rough bouncer, and I'm 100% wimp. It didn't suit me at all.

Finally, I tried hair transplants. The procedure is very weird - you're very drugged up with a local anaesthetic and Valium, but they (in the case of this treatment) tear a bit of skin from the back of your head, and then poke loads of holes in your scalp and insert the follicles. To be honest, I wasn't 100% happy afterwards as it was a lot thinner afterwards than I'd hoped for (maybe my expectations were too high), but in order to get anything like natural hair back would take a serious amount of money; 3-4 treatments I'd say. Still happy I had it done though, as it's better now than before.

If anyone goes go for it, 2 pieces of advice. Wear a shirt, NOT a T-shirt/sweatshirt for the treatment - you don't want to be pulling that off over your head later that day. And if/when they ask you if you need more anaesthetic, say "YES!!!". I made the mistake of thinking it's ok for another while, so when I finally did ask for it the injection was very painful - my own fault.

Advertisement