Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receding Hairline See Mod warning in post #1

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

who_me wrote: »
    Finally, I tried hair transplants. The procedure is very weird - you're very drugged up with a local anaesthetic and Valium, but they (in the case of this treatment) tear a bit of skin from the back of your head, and then poke loads of holes in your scalp and insert the follicles. To be honest, I wasn't 100% happy afterwards as it was a lot thinner afterwards than I'd hoped for (maybe my expectations were too high), but in order to get anything like natural hair back would take a serious amount of money; 3-4 treatments I'd say. Still happy I had it done though, as it's better now than before.

How much was the whole process if you don't mind being asked? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Shaving head is not an option, I fecking hate skin heads, they just look like scum (not everyone, but a lot of guys look scumy when sporting a shaved head, I look like a nazi, and I don't want that.) White guys just look weird shaved.

Ha, that reminds me of the day that I walked into a barbershop in Stoneybatter. My barber was a very tall African with very bloodshot eyes and a very cheerful demeanour. I asked for my regular headshave, which took forty minutes instead of the usual five.

After he eventually finished cutting my hair, he said 'You look like American soldier!". I asked him how much I owed him. He grinned broadly, looked at me craftily and said;
    "You know how much!".
    "Five euro?" I enquired.
    "You know how much!", he insisted.
    "Four euro?".
    "Yes!", he exclaimed, gleefully.
    So I paid him and left, thinking that was rather a strange experience.

But I digress. The moral of the story is that not every white man with a headshave looks like a Nazi. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Passenger wrote: »
    How much was the whole process if you don't mind being asked? ;)

It was a few years back (in the boom times when I actually had some money to spend) so I don't remember exactly, sorry. Was definitely around 4,500-5000, with follow-on sessions - if needed - costing 3,500.

So, pretty expensive. It probably is cheaper these days; but like most medical / surgical services you don't really want to be going for the cheapest possible option either!

It was a long enough procedure, and there are several people (3 or 4) involved for a few hours, so I didn't have any problem with the price. Apart from not being able to afford any further treatments..

K.H.E.G wrote: »
    This looks very good, pictures are impressive but I would love to chat to someone with experience.

I know a girl who has tattooed eyebrows. Despite what people may think, they look good, and they were not at all conspicuous to me.

The thought occurred to me that something similar might work for hair on people's heads. People get tattoos, right? Why not on your head? Or so I had thought.

Some googling led me to the idea that you mentioned there; micropigmentation. It sounds okay in theory. The idea is that the micropigmentation mimics the look of stubble on a shaved head.

Therefore, the marketing pictures might lead someone to expect results such as this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrw9sjwumF_ODnTLuWNeG74_nqhUZtZ3eOSuSAHyCD3TVq-gIoQg

Or this:

121.jpg

Googling of marketing pictures shows mostly black men or else white men with quite sallow or tanned complexions.

What you don't tend to see are the pale white guys; the pasty complexioned men from the sunless land of Ireland.

There are some bad results also. The bad results look worse than bald.

Here is a picture of a guy who looks like he has applied black marker to his head.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYXrYV-s_0p9PerGR0dJBvmcwDGt_5RKBcx9V-jWWI_REKzBknDg

This guy looks as though his hair is thinning. But that look is not just pointless, it's a step backwards. A shaved bald head is a neater look than a look of thinning hair.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbBG1ImNdOKqopG17HugxKhgOeEBrD8szzZseQAdn_KGfx-5djrg

And then there are these guys:

article-2099259-11AA3DA5000005DC-378_634x416.jpg

If that picture isn't enough to put people off, I don't know what it would take. The guy in the middle looks as though the top of his head is pink or something. It just looks really artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian.85

who_me wrote: »
    Finally, I tried hair transplants. The procedure is very weird - you're very drugged up with a local anaesthetic and Valium, but they (in the case of this treatment) tear a bit of skin from the back of your head, and then poke loads of holes in your scalp and insert the follicles. To be honest, I wasn't 100% happy afterwards as it was a lot thinner afterwards than I'd hoped for (maybe my expectations were too high), but in order to get anything like natural hair back would take a serious amount of money; 3-4 treatments I'd say. Still happy I had it done though, as it's better now than before.

If anyone goes go for it, 2 pieces of advice. Wear a shirt, NOT a T-shirt/sweatshirt for the treatment - you don't want to be pulling that off over your head later that day. And if/when they ask you if you need more anaesthetic, say "YES!!!". I made the mistake of thinking it's ok for another while, so when I finally did ask for it the injection was very painful - my own fault.

That sounds to me like you had the older FUT technique done and not the modern FUE. With FUE they have special drill that extracts individual hairs from back and side and they can implant them on the top. No horrible stretch of skin removed and no scars either! Most decent places will not do FUT anymore unless absolutely necassary. If anyone is going for a transplant do not go FUT! FUE is much better.

The shirt over the t-shirt is a massive thing, I was advised by my surgeon to wear a shirt, and all through out the recovery I wore button / zip shirts. I'd also advise people to invest in wee travel pillow was a life saver for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I know a girl who has tattooed eyebrows. Despite what people may think, they look good, and they were not at all conspicuous to me.

The thought occurred to me that something similar might work for hair on people's heads. People get tattoos, right? Why not on your head? Or so I had thought.

Some googling led me to the idea that you mentioned there; micropigmentation. It sounds okay in theory. The idea is that the micropigmentation mimics the look of stubble on a shaved head.

Therefore, the marketing pictures might lead someone to expect results such as this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrw9sjwumF_ODnTLuWNeG74_nqhUZtZ3eOSuSAHyCD3TVq-gIoQg

Or this:

121.jpg

Googling of marketing pictures shows mostly black men or else white men with quite sallow or tanned complexions.

What you don't tend to see are the pale white guys; the pasty complexioned men from the sunless land of Ireland.

Here is a picture of a guy who looks like he has applied black marker to his head.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYXrYV-s_0p9PerGR0dJBvmcwDGt_5RKBcx9V-jWWI_REKzBknDg

This guy looks as though his hair is thinning. But that look is not just pointless, it's a step backwards. A shaved bald head is a neater look than a look of thinning hair.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbBG1ImNdOKqopG17HugxKhgOeEBrD8szzZseQAdn_KGfx-5djrg

And then there are these guys:

article-2099259-11AA3DA5000005DC-378_634x416.jpg

If that picture isn't enough to put people off, I don't know what it would take. The guy in the middle looks as though the top of his head is pink or something. It just looks really artificial.

I feel kinda bad but I nearly pissed myself laughing at the last 3!
    They look totally ridiculous!

I feel kinda bad but I nearly pissed myself laughing at the last 3!
    They look totally ridiculous!

Yeah, they look like total plonkers. It's like watching The Office - you don't whether to laugh or cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 K.H.E.G

Some googling led me to the idea that you mentioned there; It sounds okay in theory. The idea is that the micropigmentation mimics the look of stubble on a shaved head.

I had to laugh at your post, the middle guy, are you sure he is human? That nearly looks like a computer game character.

Although I do agree with you that some of these look daft I have seen some good examples, I actually called up to an open day at the mhs clinic in Malahide, got to meet a guy who had it done, looked the business.

I’d be a wee bit weary getting it done in a tattoo studio as opposed to a clinic, been reading online and the general consensus is go no where near a tattoo studio to get this done.
    The 3 guys at the end are from His hair studio in England, another tattoo based studio. I frequent hair restoration forums and from reading on them you are best going to a clinic that has a qualified medical doctor.

I’ve hope to get this done, just saving my money now. I would prefer a transplant but I can’t afford one so this is the next best thing. Who knows few years down the line I might get a transplant too

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

I bought Noxidil Forte off amazon recently. It's the oral version of rogaine (minoxidil). I'm hoping it'll rid of my "mature" hairline I've developed and hopefully also awaken dormant beard follicles. I used topical rogaine in the past and it definitely sped up my beard growth (never tried it on my hairline). I will record my results when I receive it and after a few months usage.

K.H.E.G wrote: »
    I had to laugh at your post, the middle guy, are you sure he is human? That nearly looks like a computer game character.

Grand Theft Auto: Peckham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Has anyone ever gone to the hair clinic in cork and did it actually work?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

I'm going bald. In the past 3/4 months it's become very rapid. It's only receding at the front of my head. I'm not getting a bald patch at the back....yet! Anyways it's time to take action.

From reading this thread and googling I wad think of using 3 products, minoxidil, alpecine and nourkrin. What would people's opinion be on using 3 different products at the same time? Also is regaine the best minoxidil product available? Would really appreciate some feedback! Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

McBauer wrote: »
    I'm going bald. In the past 3/4 months it's become very rapid. It's only receding at the front of my head. I'm not getting a bald patch at the back....yet! Anyways it's time to take action.

From reading this thread and googling I wad think of using 3 products, minoxidil, alpecine and nourkrin. What would people's opinion be on using 3 different products at the same time? Also is regaine the best minoxidil product available? Would really appreciate some feedback! Thanks guys

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Doya wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone ever gone to the hair clinic in cork and did it actually work?

Thanks

Yeah, I went to the Ailesbury Clinic in Douglas about 3 years ago. The woman who I had the appointment with walked into the room and said almost immediately "Sorry, you're not suitable". The hair on the sides and back of my head are not suitable to be implanted on my crown, which is thinning quiet a bit. In fairness to her she didn't sign me up to have the procedure done (and take thousands of Euro in the process), so they weren't interested in ripping me off. Not everyone is suitable for the procedure. If you haven't got strong enough donor hair, it won't work, and if you go through with the process anyway, the results will look terrible.

It's worth making an appointment for a consultation. It's free. The decision is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

McBauer wrote: »

All minoxidil is the same, I believe. Regaine basically held the patent originally but generic minoxidil and Regaine are indistinguishable. Those three products make sense, although I don't really know enough about Nourkin. Don't rule out something like Toppik, it'll help keep the issue at the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cu

Can anyone recommend where online to buy Minoxidil for shipping to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

This might be of some help to you OP, and even for those who want to maintain strong and healthy hair.

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/superfoods/10-superfoods-to-prevent-hair-loss.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Riverp10

Has anyone any price recommendations for <snip> in Ireland among the various clinics etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Refined Kelp Powder, my (elderly)ma has used it and it worked for her, she has started to try it on my da now to check if it really works, some crowd in Waterford make it but she can't find the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I prefer the word 'follically challenged' instead of baldness, i know from my brother's experience, i even saw a barbers shop/hairdressers with that shop name :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Billyblog

I'm starting to recede and lose hair pretty quickly. What do I take??? I've never cut my hair short so pretty scared about the thought of going for the skin head. Transplant is totally out of my budget right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Been using regaine extra strength for about a week now. One thing I have found is that it can be difficult to apply or Im now sure if Im applying it correctly! I spray it on a few spots at the front of my head but is that enough? Should I also rub it into my head? Is the spray the best way of applying it? Also does it have to be sprayed onto the scalp or is it enough just to spray it on the hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Spray on the scalp and massage it into the head. 6 spray twice a day, takes about 6 months to kick in but its the only medically proven product on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Did anyone ever use the low level laser comb? Anyone have any success with it? I'm thinking about investing in a similar device so would appreciate feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Materly

Hi ,

I used to get my Minoxidil from Amazon , then minoxidil direct , then biovea , and now I have ordered of fBiovea again , yet there is a problem. Should have being delivered in 7 days its now 3 weeks. Minoxidil Direct say they wont ship and amazon no longer ship. Does anyone know where I can get generic Minoxidil that ship to Ireland.

Thanks

Advertisement