Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled pork recipe/ advice please!

Options
  • 10-01-2014 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have a real goo on me to make pulled pork for tomorrow night's dinner. I have never made it and have actually only eaten it twice (with bbq sauce on a bap, divine!).

I don't have a slow cooker or any pork at the minute! Is it too late to buy it in the morning to eat at 6/7pm tomorrow evening? Am I best making it for Sunday's dinner?

I would really appreciate any tried and tested recipes or tips. I reckon I will be doing it with barbecue sauce and red cabbage slaw on a floury bap.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Everything you need is right here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056106123

I'm an absolutely terrible cook and even I could follow this easily. Takes 24 hours to marinate and then 10 hours to cook (or so).

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

That looks extremely time consuming, let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you can buy a slow cooking suited cut of pig in the morning you can have pulled pork tm night. Slow cooked pork in an oven can be done in 5 hours, no
    marinating required

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I usually get a 0.7 kg piece of pork shoulder and that takes about 3-3.5 hours at 175C in the oven. Rub the meat with paprika/mustard powder/pepper and put in the pot with a roughly chopped onion, bay leaf and a cup of water. I use the juices at the end to make the BBQ sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

This is my friends blog and this recipe has been shared and shared again on another forum and on Facebook. It is epic and very easy. I've made it myself and its amazing. I made it in a casserole dish the first time in the oven cos I didn't have a slow cooker and reduced cooking time so you should be able to have it for dinner on a nice bap.

http://mudpiesandfries.blogspot.ie/2011/12/epic-pork.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I made the pulled pork for last night's dinner, and it was gorgeous. I was fairly p!ssed off that there were no leftovers for today's lunch! I used a bit of a mash up from the advice here and a few recipes online.

I made a dry rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder and chilli powder and rubbed it into a shoulder of pork and left it for a couple of hours in the fridge.
    I preheated the oven at about 180 degrees and at 12pm, put the shoulder in a casserole dish, and poured a cup of apple juice, a couple of table spoons of cider vinegar and a bit of water over it. Lightly covered it with foil and left it on 180 for about 30 mins. Dropped the heat to 160 then and left it until 5pm. Basted it with the juices and uncovered it at 5pm and left it til just after 6pm. Shredding it with the forks was tougher than I thought- my hands were killing me!

I used a cup of the cooking liquid, a mug of ketchup, paprika, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, sautéed onions and garlic (I think that was it) and simmered it for twenty mins to make the barbecue sauce.

I just made a simple slaw with red cabbage, carrots and mayo to go with it.

The six hours in the oven was fine, but I can see how longer at a lower heat would make it softer. I will definitely be making it again!

Advertisement