Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nighttimenetwork Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

God damn Sean!

One of the things I found interesting from the two recent NTN podcasts was that Foley actually had a 4 year contract with 98FM, not 3. And the issue he had with some decision maker at Today FM early last year, from what he said it didn't seem to track with it being the CEO at TodayFM who has moved over from 98FM given he indicated whoever it was he had thought of them as someone he was close to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Yeah the fact that it was actually a 4 year contract was definitely interesting. I wonder if the management person that he was disappointed/hurt with was a certain former lunchtime show producer?

Yeah the fact that it was actually a 4 year contract was definitely interesting. I wonder if the management person that he was disappointed/hurt with was a certain former lunchtime show producer?

To be honest that's exactly what I thought when I listened. She's back at TodayFM as Assistant PD now but at the time of this decision I think she was still at 98FM as Assistant PD so maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

IUA14 wrote: »
    To be honest that's exactly what I thought when I listened. She's back at TodayFM as Assistant PD now but at the time of this decision I think she was still at 98FM as Assistant PD so maybe not.

ah stop that for jaysus sake. No way that's what happened.

I said thats who popped into my head as he was talking about it, didn't say it was likely. And like I said, as far as I know she wasn't even at Today FM at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I bet the group Whatsapp is hopping today!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Judging by the latest podcast you nailed it....

I wonder if the management person that he was disappointed/hurt with was a certain former lunchtime show producer?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

Judging by the latest podcast you nailed it....

I wonder if the management person that he was disappointed/hurt with was a certain former lunchtime show producer?

Dell = Adele haha!

Its up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

They seem to be sticking to their no Today FM talk policy, which I find disappointing!

I'd love to hear Rays opinion of Anne being let go and the Al Porter appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

_feedback_ wrote: »
    They seem to be sticking to their no Today FM talk policy, which I find disappointing!

I'd love to hear Rays opinion of Anne being let go and the Al Porter appointment

I'd love to know his opinion too, but realistically it's in everyone's interest that he just doesn't.

Radio is a fairly small industry, so it wouldn't exactly speed up the job hunt if he started making more enemies in it.
    Plus, I often find the atmosphere takes a noticeable downshift when it comes up. I think it's better if they just ignore it rather than the podcast becoming a regular "Foley whinges about Today FM again" show.

Enjoyed the bumper edition of the podcast! Few digs at Adelle in there and glad he didn't get into the Today FM stuff too much. Its time for everyone to move on at this stage! Nice tribute to Ann at the end, hopefully she makes a return to the NTN next time!

Will be interesting to see if Ray follows through on the 20 minute morning podcasts next week...seems to be a lot more interested in the slightly more serious side of things lately...maybe a Moncrieff style show in his future at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just finished listening and all I can say about Rays tribute to Ann was Here here. I agree exactly with what he said. Ann gleeson has brought so much to every radio show she has been a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Love this pod but I really miss JP. Getting kind of tired of Al and his thinly veiled 'look how great my life is' stories, it's no wonder Ray is always interrupting.

Listened to the latest episode last night. Found it a tad... upsetting? Probably too strong a word, but it was kind of sad to hear what they were hinting at. Obviously we have to take it with a pinch of salt because it's only one side of what happened, and maybe Ray was expecting his connection with her to give him an advantage but maybe she genuinely felt he wasn't right, I dunno.
    Either way, it's sad to get the impression that that friendship is over and ended on rather bitter terms, especially since they worked so well together. Even until the end of the 98 show, the days when she was on were some of the best, and I remember an NTN where Ray was talking about their kids hanging out together.

The Dell computer analogy was hilarious though. :P

Lovely words about Ann at the end too. I hope she does turn up on NTN again. I also agree with you FunLover, I think it needs a third person every now and then. Sometimes the way Ray and Al constantly snipe at each other can grate a bit.
    I think Al needs to be banned from podcasting from bed though. The sound quality on the most recent one was very irritating at times.

It's sad if it's true. I never got a chance to listen to the lunchtime show with any regularity so never warmed to Adelle, but they seemed like a close knit team and it hurts being fecked over by a friend (even if it was based on purely business reasons and possibly not fully their own decision).

I"m actually not missing JP at all! Like obviously I'd love if he was on NTN even just once every so often, but I think Ray and Al are a good team and I like their sniping and banter.

I'm also happy that they don't seem to be going in depth on any radio industry stuff any more. I get enough of that on boards to keep me going haha. Once in a while is cool, and I'm all for the odd offhand remark in an episode, but it's draining to listen to them talk about it every time. And you can tell they don't want to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm also happy that they don't seem to be going in depth on any radio industry stuff any more. I get enough of that on boards to keep me going haha. Once in a while is cool, and I'm all for the odd offhand remark in an episode, but it's draining to listen to them talk about it every time. And you can tell they don't want to talk about it.

Totally agree, I really wish people would stop emailing in asking them to bitch about the radio industry. They should filter emails beforehand, I'm still pissed off at Sean

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Totally agree, I really wish people would stop emailing in asking them to bitch about the radio industry. They should filter emails beforehand, I'm still pissed off at Sean

Yeah completely agree. Whoever James is fairplay for trying to repair some of the damage Sean inflicted.

On Adelle, she disappeared from the Foley show towards the end of his time at 98FM and I don't recall them thanking her on their final shows so it may have been something that happened a while ago. It sounds like Ann leaving Today FM, which they didn't want to go into as it wasn't their place, may have compounded things. Maybe she chose to align herself with the new boss and put friendships and relationships aside to progress...it happens but yes, sad.

https://twitter.com/jackmccw/status/831777083793735680

I tried but got no response and Ann's Twitter account is gone too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

jackmcc wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jackmccw/status/831777083793735680

I tried but got no response and Ann's Twitter account is gone too :(
    Ann posted just after leaving TodayFM saying she was going off Twitter for a while. Guess that means she's moving out of the media.

Ann posted just after leaving TodayFM saying she was going off Twitter for a while. Guess that means she's moving out of the media.

Would make sense if she kept up the Psychology tbh.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Would make sense if she kept up the Psychology tbh.

It seemed like the Today FM thing hurt...think its probably normal to want to take some time...Foley said it in the last NTN that he would ask her about NTN but doubted she would want to jump straight back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Ah they're just annoying me now with the massive gaps between podcasts.

But I'll still come crawling back

Yeah the lack of regularity is frustrating. Ray tweeted last week that they should do another one soon, so hopefully...

I mentioned this on the Ray and Jay thread, but surely he'll be bored enough during weeknights in Cork to start podcasting again.

jackmcc wrote: »
    I mentioned this on the Ray and Jay threat, but surely he'll be bored enough during weeknights in Cork to start podcasting again.

Yeah hopefully anyways. Seems to plan on using the fact he's alone in Cork and has the time to get back into the gym. Would love to see a regular weekly NTN though...I'd say it will be a while, at least until the new show settles down!

We can only imagine the chats that wouldve been had with the recent todayfm changes and Muireann!
    Its amazing how things turn out! They always gave her a really hard time but you could tell they were friends and was just banter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It's a very different today fm these days. I hope he's happy for her. Would like to hear podcast from the guys again. Not to hear their views on today fm but just to here what they have been up to and here them having the bants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

youngblood wrote: »
    We can only imagine the chats that wouldve been had with the recent todayfm changes and Muireann!
    Its amazing how things turn out! They always gave her a really hard time but you could tell they were friends and was just banter

Could you enlighten the rest of us?

Advertisement