Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Floors

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all would appreciate your knowledge. I am about to get concrete flooring poured in an existing build and have been told conflicting advice by 2 profs. The first said we need to remove all architraves before pouring and the other said not necessary. Anybody had experience of this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you don't remove them they will get buried in the concrete, i would remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

of course you don't have to remove them. Depends if you want them to get destroyed or not !!

Im with runawaybishop on this one. Remove them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

D3PO wrote: »
    of course you don't have to remove them. Depends if you want them to get destroyed or not !!

Im with runawaybishop on this one. Remove them.
    +1

When you say 'two professionals' what are their qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Hi I am renovating a twenty year old bungalow at the moment and have been told by my builder that there is only 3 inches of a mortar finish on the existing floor with no sub floor or insulation. He is recommending we dig down the existing floor and insulate and replace floor. Summary of works below:it is a total of approx. 1350ft2 of an area .it will be dug down for 100 mm of 30n10mm concrete ,100 mm polyiso insulation , 35 mm of lime dust blinding and 50 mm of 808 lime dust chipto a depth of 285 mm from current floor level all will be dug by hand as a mini digger will cause too much harm in this building .Also all material will be taken out by hand ,and all finishing concrete will be brought in by hand ,and all levelling and finishing will be done by hand up to the final floatingThe cost to do this is €7,510 +vat.Does anyone have any idea if the works are worthwhile or if the quote is excessive?Your help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Hi Paid V I did write a detailed reply but just got wiped so you getting the shorter moreconcise version :). Cost of ripping up suspended wooden floors and replacing with concrete in a 1400 sq foot home was 5700. So I imagine thatwith all of the labour costs that would be involved in yourproject 7500 might not be off the mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Doesn't sound out of line for a lot of hand work ... ? I assume your doing a lot of other work too...? Refitting architrave after will be very small cost ....
    Are your floors damp ?? Uneven ect ? Is it really worth getting 7 or 8 grand worth of work done .. Will you get the 7 grand of benefit or comfort ... Or would you be better off putting it into better roof insulation ,external insulation...French drains outside ect...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Honestly, it's not much work to remove them and replace them, and especially if they're not historically valuable, I'd have no qualms about it. On top of that, doing it that way is just so much harder for carpenters to do anything afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

PaidV wrote: »
    Hi I am renovating a twenty year old bungalow at the moment and have been told by my builder that there is only 3 inches of a mortar finish on the existing floor with no sub floor or insulation. He is recommending we dig down the existing floor and insulate and replace floor. Summary of works below:it is a total of approx. 1350ft2 of an area .it will be dug down for 100 mm of 30n10mm concrete ,100 mm polyiso insulation , 35 mm of lime dust blinding and 50 mm of 808 lime dust chipto a depth of 285 mm from current floor level all will be dug by hand as a mini digger will cause too much harm in this building .Also all material will be taken out by hand ,and all finishing concrete will be brought in by hand ,and all levelling and finishing will be done by hand up to the final floatingThe cost to do this is €7,510 +vat.Does anyone have any idea if the works are worthwhile or if the quote is excessive?Your help would be appreciated.

Fair play man sounds like a grand job... You must have a rake of cash do you? What else are you pimping it out with??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know it's what's done , but why are the internal floors 4 inches of concrete ?? It's only being walked on...
    I've seen silage Pits with a 4' floor...

Also , this is your only chance to consider underfloor heating... Mightn't be on your wish list ,but it'd be now or never..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement