Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Move to Sligo & Need Advice

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

At the moment I'm living in Dublin but I've gotten a job in Sligo and want to rent a house there. I've spotted a great house in a place called Rusheen Ard in Caltragh, Sligo. Can anyone give me any advice on what the area is like, is it a good neighbourhood etc.?

Any pros/ cons and all advice would be really appreciated!!:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi all,

At the moment I'm living in Dublin but I've gotten a job in Sligo and want to rent a house there. I've spotted a great house in a place called Rusheen Ard in Caltragh, Sligo. Can anyone give me any advice on what the area is like, is it a good neighbourhood etc.?

Any pros/ cons and all advice would be really appreciated!!:):)

Very nice estate, residents association, most homes privately owned as far as I know, families, professional lets. Centra, and playschool/nursery all on or beside estate. Very nice surrounds and well maintained green areas. Minutes from N4 duel carriageway having you in Dublin in just over 2 hours. Bus route passes estate for town, or about 15 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Good, no UPC:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

If you're happy with the house i would say go for it. Like Mint Sauce said it's a handy location beside the dual carriageway and walking distance to town centre but depends what you're lookin for really. For me personally it would have to be a really nice house for me to live up there. There's some nicer areas to live in around town but there's certainly nothin wrong with Rusheen Ard and it has some good houses. I'm speakin as someone who moved house in december and viewed one in Rusheen Ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 russelllohan

loki7777 wrote: »
    Good, no UPC:)

Awh crap really? No UPC? Any idea if it's in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 russelllohan

mewe wrote: »
    If you're happy with the house i would say go for it. Like Mint Sauce said it's a handy location beside the dual carriageway and walking distance to town centre but depends what you're lookin for really. For me personally it would have to be a really nice house for me to live up there. There's some nicer areas to live in around town but there's certainly nothin wrong with Rusheen Ard and it has some good houses. I'm speakin as someone who moved house in december and viewed one in Rusheen Ard.

Cheers for the response! Can I ask what you mean by "it would have to be really nice for me to live up there"? Is there something rough about the area out anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No its not rough but its a bit of an unexciting location to be honest plus if you were to walk into town its a bit of an uphill walk back to get to Rusheen Ard up Gallows Hill as its known. There's a lot of houses up there and i'm sure it is fine really but for me if the house was nice that would be the only box it would tick. Depends what you're lookin for really but if you want a nice location aswell within walking distance of town i would say somewhere around the Strandhill Road area would be good. It really depends what you're lookin for tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Cheers for the response! Can I ask what you mean by "it would have to be really nice for me to live up there"? Is there something rough about the area out anything?

The estate that you are talking about from what I can remember is just about ok, however it's the estates that are beside Rusheen Ard that are the problem. If you have a car then you have the choice of renting outside of the town which is a lot cheaper, and walking from the town centre to Rusheen Ard after a few pints at night might not be a good idea. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

If you are unsure about the area but like the house maybe just sign a six month lease, the good thing about sligo is there is not a shortage of rental properties but finding the right house in the right location for what you want can take some looking and will be much easier to look when you are here a while and know the area and not under pressure to find something.

The main thing is if you are working to stay away from the student areas or you'll be woken up all hours, so it ticks that box but IMO Rusheen Ard, like most of the estates is in that grey area where technically it is walking distance but it's nearly not and it's not a nice kind of walk.

Even if I had a car I would still live in town so I can pop out for a snack or buy milk without having to drive or hike over a hill or the bridge on the dual carriageway (just about every estate outside the town you have one or the other to navigate) to get home, and if you like a pint you can walk home in a few short minutes. When I lived in the estates, even though it was not a really long walk, it was usually a hateful one due to hills or the bridge and the fact that in winter the weather at night is usually a healthy mixture of rain and wind, and if I could afford it I'd take a taxi. And you'll meet more people if you live in town as well, if that's of any importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rusheen ard is a very nice estate, i have two friends who live there (seperately). Houses are nice and seem well built and the common areas are well looked after and neat and my friend is on the residents committee. It's ten minute walk to town and it's very handy for the dublin/galway roards. There's a good centra right there as well as the creche if you need it.

Caltragh Heights, right beside it is dog rough. Seems to be a lot of social housing and some people who are no longer on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

promethius wrote: »
    rusheen ard is a very nice estate, i have two friends who live there (seperately). Houses are nice and seem well built and the common areas are well looked after and neat and my friend is on the residents committee. It's ten minute walk to town and it's very handy for the dublin/galway roards. There's a good centra right there as well as the creche if you need it.

Caltragh Heights, right beside it is dog rough. Seems to be a lot of social housing and some people who are no longer on the move.

Think u might have wrong estate there.!

• Advertisement

Correct. I know people who live in both Caltragh Heights and Rushen Ard, who would recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'd say you meant Caltragh Crescent.
    Now that's a no-go area!

red sean wrote: »
    I'd say you meant Caltragh Crescent.
    Now that's a no-go area!

Which is a little bit further up the road after Rusheen Ard, not next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

What area of Sligo is your new job? So We can know for traffic in the morning etc.? Caltragh is like a Posh Tallaght. Mix of rough Social housing and nice private estates with a view of a dual carriage way.

You should have a look at Strandhill. It has everything to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KathleenS

I am considering buying a house here and would welcome feedback on this estate - is it mixed or mainly young families? Is it mainly owner occupied or investment property? Any comments very welcome. Thanks

I am considering buying a house here and would welcome feedback on this estate - is it mixed or mainly young families? Is it mainly owner occupied or investment property? Any comments very welcome. Thanks

KathleenS wrote: »

Read the first few posts. OP was asking the same question.

;)

Thanks, have read the comments you suggested. Ideally I would like strand hill road area but anything I have looked at is beyond my budget. I would welcome comments on areas other than rusheen Ard too as I don't know Sligo all that well. Thanks

Any particular areas or estates in mind? Any particular type of house? Is it for a family, professionals, or for renting?

Want to buy - looking at Rusheen Ard and Meadowvale as well as Strandhill side of town. Professionals, no family. Further suggestions very welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When Rusheen Ard was built, as per regulations, they had to build a certain amount of social housing units. In order to keep the Rusheen Ard houses untainted by filthy social housing tenants the developer built the Rusheen Ard social houses at the far end of the estate, next to the Caltragh Crescent social housing estate THEN BUILT A WALL separating them from the privately owned Rusheen Ard houses. And the planners allowed this.

Social inclusion fail.

When Rusheen Ard was built, as per regulations, they had to build a certain amount of social housing units. In order to keep the Rusheen Ard houses untainted by filthy social housing tenants the developer built the Rusheen Ard social houses at the far end of the estate, next to the Caltragh Crescent social housing estate THEN BUILT A WALL separating them from the privately owned Rusheen Ard houses. And the planners allowed this.

Social inclusion fail.

I noticed something odd about that. Drove into Caltragh Crescent a few times, and seen houses built in a totally different style to the rest of the estate, but built in the exact same style as Rusheen Ard, and wonder if there was access between the two.

Was that the reason why Tequila?

Driving around there there does seem to be alot more social housing in Caltragh Crescent compared to maybe a few/none in Caltragh Heights, Rusheen Ard and Rusheen Crescent.

Just on Strandhill side of town Kathleen, some lovely houses around 'The Park', 1st and 2nd Sea Road, and although the are on or around the Sligo Town Boundary, you are unfortunatly going to be paying in or around Strandhill prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I noticed something odd about that. Drove into Caltragh Crescent a few times, and seen houses built in a totally different style to the rest of the estate, but built in the exact same style as Rusheen Ard, and wonder if there was access between the two.

Was that the reason why Tequila?

Driving around there there does seem to be alot more social housing in Caltragh Crescent compared to maybe a few/none in Caltragh Heights, Rusheen Ard and Rusheen Crescent.

Just on Strandhill side of town Kathleen, some lovely houses around 'The Park', 1st and 2nd Sea Road, and although the are on or around the Sligo Town Boundary, you are unfortunatly going to be paying in or around Strandhill prices.

No, there's no access at all, you have to go through Caltragh Crescent to get to the social Rusheen Ard houses. Completely segregated. It's outrageous really.

No, there's no access at all, you have to go through Caltragh Crescent to get to the social Rusheen Ard houses. Completely segregated. It's outrageous really.

I was aware that there was application to have a number of houses in Rusheen Ard as social housing, as the estate was over the required number of units to prevent social housing. Was not aware that this was how the developer got around it.

Getting back to Kathleens question. Rusheen Ard is a lovely extate though, very well presented, and looked after by the residents association there. Most, if not all are gas fired central heating, supplied by tanks buried under the green areas, and then metered to each property. Nice compact layouts, if you want that kind of house. Houses dont have own drive, but most properties do have laybys in front of them.

Have you considered, or looked at the Crozen area, just down from Caltragh? Probably around same price, but houses slightly larger, own drive, some might need a little freshen up, or installation of double glazing as a little older.

Mint Sauce, thank you for your advice above, really appreciate helpful info on Rusheen Ard.... I am still seriously considering it

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The Riverside area has become extremely popular with people I know who rent, close to town, attractive riverside area, local pub, aldi, lidl,.dunnes, parks, walk and cycle ways, the houses are former local authority and some a little on the small side, no anti social behavior but apparently one cul de sac in a.certain street is to be avoided.

Thank you....another area I need to investigate

Hi
    What about Elm Court, Lissadell Park, Carney - any opinions about estate or Carney by itself?
    Thinking about buying house over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

i know someone living happily in Lissadell Park. Quiet estate. Carney and the general area is lovely, but not if you're expecting a vibrant nightlife!

• Advertisement

NO, I am just looking for something quiet but with some shops - Grange is not for me.

Advertisement