Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Restaurants?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi there,
    3 of us are going to Galway city next weekend for Akumakon. It's our 1st time going to Galway and we were wondering if there's any Japanese restaurants there?(Wanna keep with the theme of our visit :D )

If so can you recommend a place? If you have an idea of it's proximity to Eyre Sq that would be awesome info aswell :D

Thanks very much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Konban-wa!

There are three notable Japanese restaurants, the best IMO is Kappa-ya on Middle St. Book a table if you are eating in a group - it is fairly small.

After that theres the Wa Cafe by the docks and Raw at the Radisson, both of which are good. RAW is the only real option if you want to eat a lot of fish.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

+1 Kappa Ya

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Awesome guys thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Theres also a girl selling sushi in the market if your looking for a snack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kappa-Ya is just fantastic, possibly my favourite restaurant. The Katsudon is amazing :D

They'll also have some food at Akumakon, the folks from Wa Cafe set up and offer some basic stuff so you won't go hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Kappa Ya and Wa Cafe are nice for casual eating but RAW is by far my favourite. It's heads and shoulders above the other japanese eateries. You won't spend that much more but the quality of the food is far superior.

dafunk wrote: »
    Kappa Ya and Wa Cafe are nice for casual eating but RAW is by far my favourite. It's heads and shoulders above the other japanese eateries. You won't spend that much more but the quality of the food is far superior.

It kinda depends on what your preferences are, Raw is mostly sushi, whereas Kappa-Ya is geared towards donburi dishes. Either way, you've got very good choices ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Don't get your hopes up on the calibre of sushi at Raw/Wa. They are very tame and unadventurous. It won't compare to yamamori or sushi abroad. It's a case of better than nothing so we're lucky to have what we do.

For rolls, do you guys place Kappa-Ya on top? Mixed tempura sounds really good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I still haven't been at Raw. Do they serve Okonomiyaki?

Had a look at their menu online - they don't. But seems to have a nice sushi selection.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

newkie wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up on the calibre of sushi at Raw/Wa. They are very tame and unadventurous. It won't compare to yamamori or sushi abroad. It's a case of better than nothing so we're lucky to have what we do.

For rolls, do you guys place Kappa-Ya on top? Mixed tempura sounds really good right now.

I had tempura there before and must say I was incredibly disappointed. It was more like chipper batter, thick and soggy rather than light and crispy. It was also way too expensive for the low quality.

• Advertisement

just wondering the price range of kappa-ya?
    Can't find much online about their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't been for a while but it's average cost, about the same as Wa. You get a good meal for a tenner.

I had tempura there before and must say I was incredibly disappointed. It was more like chipper batter, thick and soggy rather than light and crispy. It was also way too expensive for the low quality.
    I've had the temdon (tempura donburi) a few times, and it's not like chipper batter at all
    Umekichi wrote: »
    just wondering the price range of kappa-ya?
    Can't find much online about their menu.

Not the cheapest, somewhere between 12-14 euro for donburi, but it's great. you can get a large miso soup for a fiver, sushi rolls are a couple of euro each, that's about all I can think of at the moment. Source: I was there yesterday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Links234 wrote: »
    Kappa-Ya is just fantastic, possibly my favourite restaurant. The Katsudon is amazing :D

They'll also have some food at Akumakon, the folks from Wa Cafe set up and offer some basic stuff so you won't go hungry.

Kappa ya is crazy good. Oh lord. I'm salivating now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Kappa-ya menu from Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151903314367520&set=pb.105560132519.-2207520000.1389605933.&type=3&theater

From all the yummy looking pics they do a lot of specials and like to try new things.

I just got word from Yoshimi at Wa that she is aiming to make Wa more of a sushi bar in 2014. She also mentioned she hoped to do more delivery.

newkie wrote: »
    Kappa-ya menu from Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151903314367520&set=pb.105560132519.-2207520000.1389605933.&type=3&theater

From all the yummy looking pics they do a lot of specials and like to try new things.

Keep in mind, that's the evening menu, so a bit different to what you'll get during the day ;) the specials can be incredible too

Honestly, it's my favourite Japanese place, because it's probably one of the most authentic restaurants in Ireland and the food is very like what you'd get over there. the Katsudon is just like Katsudon you'd get in Japan, it's just perfect. It's one of my favourite things to eat ever, so places that can get it right are something special. did I mention Katsudon? Because Katsudon :D

I'm gonna sound like a shill so I'll quit it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm gonna sound like a shill so I'll quit it :p

Me too...

Have you ever tasted his wasabi ice cream? Unbelievably good.

'c

Advertisement