Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell Cervelo S2?

Options
  • 11-01-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all.

Got into tri last yr. Went really well for me. Decided to enter the sport with a road bike rather than a tt bike. Did so on the basis that I would have the best of both worlds. If injury prevented me from running, I'd still have a quality road bike. Plus winter rides etc.

I went for a Cervelo S2. I eventually got a proper bike and tt position fit on it. Its a nice bike. Its got a budget wheel set and a 105 groupset.
    I'm now on the verge of upgrading the wheelset for a pair of planet x carbon clinchers.
    However, the thought struck me; sell the Cervelo and go get a dedicated tt bike, as I dont do sportif or club races. I reckon I can cover the cost of the changeover with the sale of the S2 as the frame is in mint.

Is this classic over analysis? How significant would the time difference be on a quality tt bike when compared to my tt adapted S2 with a new set of carbon clinchers(planet x)? Should I stick with what I've got or would the changeover be justified, considering that I'm dedicated to triathlon/duathlon.

Appreciate feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good question and something that I'm always being asked cos I'm still on my 7 year old TT bike.

Sure, if I upgraded my TT I'd probably save a few seconds on my TT times but I'd save a whole lot more if I simply trained harder. At the time I bought it I conned myself into thinking getting one was a shortcut to faster times as it was lighter than my roadie (still have that too).

Question is do you think you are at your training peak and that a change of bike will get you the extra few seconds that you need to be at the top of your game? An honest answer is usually the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

scuba05 wrote: »
    Is this classic over analysis?

No such thing!
    Another factor in addition to seconds saved is how the legs feel on the run after the TT bike. I found a big difference when I switched to a TT bike. Also, on a TT bike you should be more efficient, meaning less fatigue on the run.
    I know you mention getting a TT position fit but is it the same fit as you would have on a TT bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

Honest answer is I have yet to peak. I know I've got a good deal more to give, in all disciplines. Still getting into the tri groove and I love my training. After all, 2013 was my first year on a proper road bike.

I've been fitted on my S2 by the base to race fitter. He was meticulous. I'm at odds whether the changeover to a planet x stealth pro would give me an advantage that would justify the purchase over a new set of wheels for my Cervelo S2.

I know there is no quick answer to this dilemma. In a nutshell, will I get the desired bang for my buck?

Sorry, I forgot to say that I have experienced no great hardship in t2 from bike to run. Generally, I would make up some ground on the run.

Thanks to you both, but still none the wiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Will you have another road bike to use during the winter and do you ever do group spins? A TT bike would not be practical to use all year round if you want to ride with a club. The road bike may also be more comfortable for you during winter rides in crappy weather. Whatever suits your routine.... only you can know i guess!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

S2 is much better frame than planet x stealth, only advantage stealth has is steeper seat tube angle. Dont change the s2 for the planetx. Also you will save money in the long term buying quality wheels over cheaper ones, have a look at zipp 60's. Iffyou want a tt bike look at p2or p3, some good deals out there

Thanks Billy.

I suppose the ideal scenario for me is to keep my Cervelo and if I could stretch things, what would be the best tt option for me for a grand or there abouts.?

Preferably new but open to suggestion on good 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

You wont get anything branded new for 1k. You could try this

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/2013-new-Time-Trail-Frame-273.html

looks pretty fast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Fast is relative.

Your best TT option is one that fits you correctly. IMO second hand is the way to go for that budget. Plenty of people by €2.5k + bikes, and sell them within a couple of years after a few races having lost interest, or else to trade up. I had €1.5k (max) to spend a few years back (so similar to yourself) and got a bike which was retailing at €2.5k at the time for €1,200. Had been used 5/6 times in races. I'd keep a close eye on the usual websites and something should come up. Anything of decent value will go quickly however.
    Also TT bikes tend to be used less frequently by their owners than road bikes so wear and tear can be minimal.

Edit: And to actually answer your question you might be able to get a used Felt for that price. I've had no problems with any of mine but it's worth being wary of inconsistent groupsets e.g. Dura-Ace deraileurs but with crappy stock brakes and shifters...

Advertisement