Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit (AIB) How much I can spend?

Options
  • 11-01-2014 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey there, I found this laptop @laptopsdirec.ie that cost 1200eu, do you folks know, would I be able to purchase it with Visa debit (AIB)? I know max money withdraw (ATM) is 600 in one day. I'm confused right here little.

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

should be fine if you got the funds in your account

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Three fiddy?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Works the same as a normal visa. No upper limit (generally)!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dremo

Great, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

dremo wrote: »
    Hey there, I found this laptop @laptopsdirec.ie that cost 1200eu, do you folks know, would I be able to purchase it with Visa debit (AIB)? I know max money withdraw (ATM) is 600 in one day. I'm confused right here little.

Thanks in advance ;)

You'll be able to buy it. DON'T THOUGH. I guarantee you will find the same spec laptop for cheaper here or here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

antodeco wrote: »
    Works the same as a normal visa. No upper limit (generally)!

Incorrect.

A debit card is based on your current account balance.

You can only spend what you have in your current account, surely.

You are not borrowing, you are spending your own bank account funds.

Whereas a credit card means you borrow, up to your borrowing credit limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

dremo wrote: »
    Great, thank you.

Spending alot on a laptop there aren't you dremo. Where you getting that kind of money from and what you need a laptop for anyways?

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Spending alot on a laptop there aren't you dremo. Where you getting that kind of money from and what you need a laptop for anyways?

Graphics design hence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's just a debit card so I assume if you have the funds in your account, it's cool.

You should, however, refrain from making expensive purchases online in the early hours of Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Geuze wrote: »
    Incorrect.

A debit card is based on your current account balance.

You can only spend what you have in your current account, surely.

You are not borrowing, you are spending your own bank account funds.

Whereas a credit card means you borrow, up to your borrowing credit limit.
    Your after telling that he was incorrect and then confirmed what he said.

It works the same, in that it allows you to spend what you have in your debit card it's your balance , in your credit it's your balance + credit limit.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    It's just a debit card so I assume if you have the funds in your account, it's cool.

You should, however, refrain from making expensive purchases online in the early hours of Saturday :)

I am sober :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

PM me your Visa debit number and 3-digit CVV on the back and I'll let you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is it not 1500 per day or did I just dream that?

Yes, I have very boring dreams.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moving thread, not everything has to go into After Hours. The charter in this forum now applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Incidentally, almost none of the answers here are correct.... Dunno what the max single transaction is with an AIB Visa Debit but I'd guess around €1500.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Most credit and debit cards have at least two daily limits - one counting the total amount withdrawn or spent and one counting the number of transactions. The value of each of these limits usually depends on the status of the cardholder with the bank, the amount of cash in the account, the results of any fraud analysis carried out by the card issuer, the transactions the cash is funding (POS and ATM are frequently treated differently, as internet transactions can be too). And a range of other factors.

Give AIB a ring and if you identify yourself to them correctly, you should be able to find out how much you can spend online, and if it's not enough, you might be able to negotiate a temporary increase.

robindch wrote: »
    Most credit and debit cards have at least two daily limits - one counting the total amount withdrawn or spent and one counting the number of transactions. The value of each of these limits usually depends on the status of the cardholder with the bank, the amount of cash in the account, the results of any fraud analysis carried out by the card issuer, the transactions the cash is funding (POS and ATM are frequently treated differently, as internet transactions can be too). And a range of other factors.

Give AIB a ring and if you identify yourself to them correctly, you should be able to find out how much you can spend online, and if it's not enough, you might be able to negotiate a temporary increase.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Incidentally, almost none of the answers here are correct.... Dunno what the max single transaction is with an AIB Visa Debit but I'd guess around €1500.

Its €2,500 (Ive had occasion to do the max daily transaction twice last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr. Sh1te

Just on the subject of AIB's visa debit,

Is there a charge for using your card for an online transaction?

Say for example if I pay my car tax online with my aib visa debit of x amount, does AIB charge me .20c for this transaction or is this type of a transaction free??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dr. Sh1te wrote: »
    Just on the subject of AIB's visa debit,

Is there a charge for using your card for an online transaction?

Say for example if I pay my car tax online with my aib visa debit of x amount, does AIB charge me .20c for this transaction or is this type of a transaction free??

Depends on the merchant, most will charge a fee for credit cards but handle debit cards for free. AIB will charge you 20cent either way unless you have free banking with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr. Sh1te

Depends on the merchant, most will charge a fee for credit cards but handle debit cards for free. AIB will charge you 20cent either way unless you have free banking with them.

Thanks AD,

I've been using my visa debit card for a lot of online purchases ever since I moved from Danske bank to AIB.

Looks like I'm going to be screwed on bank charges now :-(

Advertisement