Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal question

Options
  • 11-01-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A friend of mine has asked to come along next time I'm shooting vermin on a local farm. Simple question, Is he allowed to shoot my gun?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Nope not legally to the best of my knowledge and it's a sure way to loose permission bringing lads onto permissions without asking the farmer, plus it's just asking for an accident to happen.
    Saying that people do do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

He is only allowed to shoot your firearm on an authorized range.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

villainous wrote: »
    A friend of mine has asked to come along next time I'm shooting vermin on a local farm. Simple question, Is he allowed to shoot my gun?

Cheers in advance

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

ONLY the certificate holder is authorized to use the firearm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

juice1304 wrote: »
    He is only allowed to shoot your firearm on an authorized range.

I don't think this is correct either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Jonty wrote: »

It is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jonty wrote: »

Range SI allows for the use of a firearm by another while on a range and under supervision of a competent person (doesn't have to be the firearm owner).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cass wrote: »
    Range SI allows for the use of a firearm by another while on a range and under supervision of a competent person (doesn't have to be the firearm owner).

And section 2(4)(d) of the Act has always allowed it.

That can be overridden by conditions in the range authorisation or insurance requirements or local range rules though; so ask first, the whole "forgiveness is easier than permission" thing does not generally apply with firearms...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

(nice to see the average boards.ie shooting forum poster's legal knowledge exceeds that of certain TDs though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sparks wrote: »
    (nice to see the average boards.ie shooting forum poster's legal knowledge exceeds that of certain TDs though :) )

Surely that comes as no surprise?:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement