Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multiple hard drive enclosures

Options
  • 11-01-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,

have been using a few old drives and needed to replace enclosures after damage to usb etc..

Bought new enclosure's from ebay, 1 ide, 1 sata, both seagate drives, power up fine, work for a bit but then the power supply blows. This has happened with 5 new supplies. What could be causing this? ?

Now i'd love to just bin them and buy new but I need powered externals and i can't find any cheap alternatives, is there a better alternative to the enclosures? They all look the same wherever they are from?

I'm not sure why the power supply would blow and not the fuse in the plug???

Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is the price what you paid for them reflected in the quality of the enclosures? I get that sort of stuff from Amazon because they have a great returns policy.
    Is there a setting for 240v on the power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

no settings, to be fair i've had 2 new power supplies sent out form the ebay sellers, with the same result, similar price on amazon,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Could be the drives are shot, the disks might be sticking or warped causing the power supply to blow. Must be old enough the drives if one of thems IDE. Have you tried using a known good drive in the enclosures?

Advertisement