Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

droghedastroubles

Options
  • 11-01-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am a Dubliner and have recently spent some time in Drogheda.. It seems to be a fairly rough area to live and grow up from what I have seen.. When on a night out during Christmas there was a huge amount of violence which shocked me and my car has been vandalised twice when parked in the same area damages which have cost me nearly 500 hundred euro.. There also seems to be a very large drug problem as I have seen a number of very obvious addicts on hardcore drugs.. This is very sad considering the education now available to young people on the use of drugs... I am no angel and I do not judge people but am curious as to why this is the case... I'd love to here peoples opinions on the matter and and ideas on solutions or organisations in place to try and change this.. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

I am a Dubliner and have recently spent some time in Drogheda.. It seems to be a fairly rough area to live and grow up from what I have seen.. When on a night out during Christmas there was a huge amount of violence which shocked me and my car has been vandalised twice when parked in the same area damages which have cost me nearly 500 hundred euro.. There also seems to be a very large drug problem as I have seen a number of very obvious addicts on hardcore drugs.. This is very sad considering the education now available to young people on the use of drugs... I am no angel and I do not judge people but am curious as to why this is the case... I'd love to here peoples opinions on the matter and and ideas on solutions or organisations in place to try and change this.. Thanks

Really come on!!! Like Dublin is just fantastic, it's the same everywhere, there is always a few scumbags! Ps. Do you wanna buy any gear BUD????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Why'd you park your car in the same area again, after it got vandalized the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Amicranky89

house45 wrote: »
    Really come on!!! Like Dublin is just fantastic, it's the same everywhere, there is always a few scumbags! Ps. Do you wanna buy any gear BUD????

I'm actually from a really rough area in Dublin so not being judgemental was just shocked that it was so bad.. I'm currently living in drogheda and have witnessed more antisocial behaviour here than i have in my 25 years in dublin ..

Why'd you park your car in the same area again, after it got vandalized the first time?

I'm currently living in the area I did move my car after the first incident but within 2 weeks it was damaged again.. First time someone tried to kick the window in and the second time my wing mirrors were ripped off.. Nice

I hate these type threads. Some yahoo comes on and starts whinging, but nothing constructive. "Drogheda is a kip, it's rough, it's a shithole" and so on. If you feel so strongly about it, try running for election and changing things.

If you don't, then try moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I hate these type threads. Some yahoo comes on and starts whinging, but nothing constructive. "Drogheda is a kip, it's rough, it's a shithole" and so on. If you feel so strongly about it, try running for election and changing things.

Or Move!!!!!
    As for your user name yes i would say your cranky!!!!

So quick to jump to negative conclusions I've actually been researching volunteer work in the area and was looking for some constructive information from residents in the area as to the causes of the antisocial behaviour am considering a career in politics and would like to make a difference.. I dont think I called Drogheda a s***hole or a kip.. So maybe you should reread the post... As for being a yahoo well that's just a little petty don't you think????? I won't move out of the area I'd like to make a difference not rant without aim unlike others.. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So quick to jump to negative conclusions I've actually been researching volunteer work in the area and was looking for some constructive information from residents in the area as to the causes of the antisocial behaviour am considering a career in politics and would like to make a difference.. I dont think I called Drogheda a s***hole or a kip.. So maybe you should reread the post... As for being a yahoo well that's just a little petty don't you think????? I won't move out of the area I'd like to make a difference not rant without aim unlike others.. :-)

OK, maybe bring in a geneticist, a historian, psychologist, a criminologist, a soothsayer, and a statistician to debate the matter for you. :rolleyes:

Why specify Drogheda? It has no more nor no less anti social behaviour than any other town. I'm not from Drogheda and even I am insulted by your insinuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Outsider says some negative things about town. Locals go mental. Disparage outsider's hometown, rather than addressing issues raised by outsider.

Ireland.

deccurley wrote: »
    Outsider says some negative things about town. Locals go mental. Disparage outsider's hometown, rather than addressing issues raised by outsider.

Ireland.

If he had made any constructive criticisms, then yeah, absolutely address them. But coming on here and and saying Drogheda is dog rough, who agrees and why, isn't giving us much to go on.

• Advertisement

OK, maybe bring in a geneticist, a historian, psychologist, a criminologist, a soothsayer, and a statistician to debate the matter for you. :rolleyes:

Why specify Drogheda? It has no more nor no less anti social behaviour than any other town. I'm not from Drogheda and even I am insulted by your insinuations.

I think maybe you should consider taking a look at an area near you and maybe try to make a difference.. Have you ever been a volunteer helping is only the beginning.. If you want blow air find a forum with willing participants..

If he had made any constructive criticisms, then yeah, absolutely address them. But coming on here and and saying Drogheda is dog rough, who agrees and why, isn't giving us much to go on.

I haven't lived in the area long.. If you read the original post like mentioned above you would see I was enquiring.. starting a conversation.. I have no problem with a resident coming on and telling me that they live in an area with a sense of community that they care for each other and support each other.. That would be great... I am only describing what i have experienced while living here.. Are you from the area..??? And if so how do feel about where you live???

I think maybe you should consider taking a look at an area near you and maybe try to make a difference.. Have you ever been a volunteer helping is only the beginning.. If you want blow air find a forum with willing participants..

I do volunteer work in my own area. I have done so for over 55 years; being active in community affairs with a lot of youth involvement.
    My point, that you seem to keep missing, is that you came on and slatted Drogheda as though you had never seen any antisocial behaviour elsewhere, or that Drogheda was particularly bad. This is so untrue and very disingenuous of you.
    As for finding willing participants, look to yourself first on that front.

As in any community, there are many many fine upstanding people in Drogheda.
    You might want to rephrase your OP, as the tone and content seem to give the wrong impression of what you are trying to do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i moved to drogheda 13 years ago, and after living in many different countries in my life as far as i can see drogheda is no better ore worse than any other similar sized town/city anywhere in the world.to address the anti social element, it is a small minority that causes most problems and yes i do see the centre of drogheda every weekend. i would love to know what area you accually live in in drogheda as where i live i have up till now seen no anti social behaviour and there is a sense of community

I do volunteer work in my own area. I have done so for over 55 years; being active in community affairs with a lot of youth involvement.
    My point, that you seem to keep missing, is that you came on and slatted Drogheda as though you had never seen any antisocial behaviour elsewhere, or that Drogheda was particularly bad. This is so untrue and very disingenuous of you.
    As for finding willing participants, look to yourself first on that front.

As in any community, there are many many fine upstanding people in Drogheda.
    You might want to rephrase your OP, as the tone and content seem to give the wrong impression of what you are trying to do here.

I don't think I slated Drogheda at all just expressed my experiences I have meet some lovely people in Drogheda who also feel the antisocial behaviour has increased in recent years and continues to do so hence my enquiries.. I think overall due to economic conditions education social media and lack of real Garda presence this is happening throughout the country but I can't change the world at the moment.. Start small dream big...i want to raise a family here so that is why Drogheda is my concern I will not stick my head in the sand and move on.. I think this town is full of very nice people but not being from the area puts me at a slight disadvantage as I could be living in a particularly bad area... I can only say that I lived in what was considered a very rough area in Dublin and I saw anti social behavior but not as frequently...

I sense the upcoming Local Elections!

granda wrote: »
    i moved to drogheda 13 years ago, and after living in many different countries in my life as far as i can see drogheda is no better ore worse than any other similar sized town/city anywhere in the world.to address the anti social element, it is a small minority that causes most problems and yes i do see the centre of drogheda every weekend. i would love to know what area you accually live in in drogheda as where i live i have up till now seen no anti social behaviour and there is a sense of community

That's great to here I live on a main road here so I do feel it's very exposed and maybe not the nicest of areas in Drogheda.. Which could be why I see so much.. I have met a lot of the younger generation in Drogheda due to my career and one of my huge concerns is the youth and drugs it seems to be a huge issue.. Have you come across this??? Do you know anything about the schools in Drogheda?? I'm moving mid summer to a more permanent residence and I am hoping to have a more positive experience...

That's great to here I live on a main road here so I do feel it's very exposed and maybe not the nicest of areas in Drogheda.. Which could be why I see so much.. I have met a lot of the younger generation in Drogheda due to my career and one of my huge concerns is the youth and drugs it seems to be a huge issue.. Have you come across this??? Do you know anything about the schools in Drogheda?? I'm moving mid summer to a more permanent residence and I am hoping to have a more positive experience...

Would you care to say where you are living, and where you're hoping to move? I'll happily give you my 2c on the potential areas

Would you care to say where you are living, and where you're hoping to move? I'll happily give you my 2c on the potential areas

I'd rather not because it's online I hope you understand.. But I have spoken to a number of people from villages outside Drogheda and they have completely different experiences... I would know many people from drogheda but am hoping to meet people and get a real feel for the area..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I have family living in Drogheda. They live in a "nice" part of town. There's been multiple antisocial issues therein.

My folks live in a "nice" part of swords. I watched a man have his knee caps blown out while walking my dog.

I live in a "nice" part of Dundalk. I had a knife held to me 10 feet from my front door.

Three towns, two counties. Sh1t happens no matter where you are.

Limerick, ennis, killaloe, kilkenny, athlone, rosscommon, Cork.

I've seen trouble in them all.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    I have family living in Drogheda. They live in a "nice" part of town. There's been multiple antisocial issues therein.

My folks live in a "nice" part of swords. I watched a man have his knee caps blown out while walking my dog.

I live in a "nice" part of Dundalk. I had a knife held to me 10 feet from my front door.

Three towns, two counties. Sh1t happens no matter where you are.

Limerick, ennis, killaloe, kilkenny, athlone, rosscommon, Cork.

I've seen trouble in them all.

I totally agree it occurs all over the world no question but I have done a lot of travelling and lived in a number of different areas and never experienced so much in such a short space of time that's why I posted to see if that's was everyone's experience in the area.. it doesn't seem to be the case or maybe I put people on the defensive but I am not by any means saying it doesn't happen anywhere else....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Personally I blame all the Dubs that sold their kip of a house for ridiculous money and came up here

lol seriously though Drogheda is like any town there are good and bad bits. There are a lot of scumbags but there's no street in the town that you cant walk down during the day on your own - you cant say that about other places.

I haven't experienced any nastiness in Drogheda except drink fueled stuff on a night out - but I do live in a "nice" area on the outskirts of Drogheda

Personally I blame all the Dubs that sold their kip of a house for ridiculous money and came up here

lol seriously though Drogheda is like any town there are good and bad bits. There are a lot of scumbags but there's no street in the town that you cant walk down during the day on your own - you cant say that about other places.

I haven't experienced any nastiness in Drogheda except drink fueled stuff on a night out - but I do live in a "nice" area on the outskirts of Drogheda

I live very close to the town so I probably see a lot of the drink fueled stuff also but it isn't just weekends it's occurred... From what I can see people are very defensive and quick to slate where I'm from.. I have elderly neighbours and although i wouldn't be nervous going anywhere in Drogheda they definitely are...

Having moved from Dublin about 6 yrs ago now up to Drogheda always feel a lot safer walking around Drogheda at night than Dublin City Centre. Never had any problems going out in Drogheda and feel safe walking around at night. If you have such problems would you not be better moving from the area.

Having moved from Dublin about 6 yrs ago now up to Drogheda always feel a lot safer walking around Drogheda at night than Dublin City Centre. Never had any problems going out in Drogheda and feel safe walking around at night. If you have such problems would you not be better moving from the area.

I have only been out a handful of nights in Drogheda so far and every time I have seen up close very violent altercations.. I spent my teen years in Dublin and early 20s and on my many nights out only came across violence the odd occasion.. I will be moving early this year and am really looking forward to it.... Hopefully it will be quieter than my current location.. But maybe I have been unlucky in seeing all of Drogheda's dark side first..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

You are not by any chance a 'secret millionaire' trying to find out the best places to volunteer in and donate to ? :) Drogheda homeless aid is a wonderful charity - there are heaps more of course.

Personally, I would feel safer in Drogheda at night that in the city of Dublin. That said, there are certain areas in Drogheda I would not like to be walking around in after dark. There is a definate alcohol/hard drug problem in the town and this is quite evident each and every day around certain town pubs and this is tolerated and as far as I can see - accepted. Personally speaking I don't think this should be accepted. I myself passed by an incident in which a young person was stabbed to death one evening - I didn't know it at the time until I read it in the news the next day. That can happen anywhere but with Drogheda being such a small town and with such a large garda station there - why is there not any police presence?

Has anyone on here that is local to the town/frequents the town especially during the evening /weekends seen much of the garda?

If I had my way - I'd go for zero tolerence. There is not a day in this country goes by that someone is not stabbed to death. It's out of control.

justagirl wrote: »
    Has anyone on here that is local to the town/frequents the town especially during the evening /weekends seen much of the garda?

No more and no less than in Dundalk or Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I have only been out a handful of nights in Drogheda so far and every time I have seen up close very violent altercations.. I spent my teen years in Dublin and early 20s and on my many nights out only came across violence the odd occasion.. I will be moving early this year and am really looking forward to it.... Hopefully it will be quieter than my current location.. But maybe I have been unlucky in seeing all of Drogheda's dark side first..

You seem to be very unlucky/unfortunate I live outside the town and frequent it both night and day and dont come across much ASB at all what part of town are you talking about.
    The biggest problem I see in Drogheda is dogs sh1t€ its everywhere, but i believe its being delt with.

You must be really unlucky as been out numerous times in town and live in centre and never had any problems or seen any fights. Go to Dublin City Centre and they are a regularity. The Drug Problem is there but nowhere near as prevalent as in Dublin. Live in town and think its very quiet with good nightlife and restaurants. Far worse and more dangerous places to live. Slight bit of drama and looking for a reaction from you me thinks.

• Advertisement

justagirl wrote: »
    You are not by any chance a 'secret millionaire' trying to find out the best places to volunteer in and donate to ? :) Drogheda homeless aid is a wonderful charity - there are heaps more of course.

Personally, I would feel safer in Drogheda at night that in the city of Dublin. That said, there are certain areas in Drogheda I would not like to be walking around in after dark. There is a definate alcohol/hard drug problem in the town and this is quite evident each and every day around certain town pubs and this is tolerated and as far as I can see - accepted. Personally speaking I don't think this should be accepted. I myself passed by an incident in which a young person was stabbed to death one evening - I didn't know it at the time until I read it in the news the next day. That can happen anywhere but with Drogheda being such a small town and with such a large garda stat ion there - why is there not any police presence?

If I had my way - I'd go for zero tolerence. There is not a day in this country goes by that someone is not stabbed to death. It's out of control.

I'd love to be a millionaire.. Money seems to everything in this life.. Buy thank you, you are the first person to mention a charity which is upsetting. everyone's quick to put me in my place but very unaware of the organisations in the community.

Being from Dublin i was probably more aware of which areas to avoid due to reputation so maybe I am seeing the darker side of Drogheda without seeing the positive.... I don't disagree with people when the say Dublin is worse I just feel for a town so small its very prevelant that' there are alot of hardcore drugs circulating as well as a huge amount of teens smoking cannibas.. And a very violent undercurrent now maybe I was going to thebwrong places but definitely a huge a mount of drug use and violence in the nightclubs I've seen in the area...I totally agree about garda presence I very rarely see them on foot in the town and mostly seem to be traffic corps hopefully this year there numbers will increase and there will be more of a presence in the town..

I think educating the youth is the key to preventing this in the future and definitely agree with a zero tolerance policy it would definately make a difference..

Advertisement