Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

droghedastroubles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Amicranky89

You must be really unlucky as been out numerous times in town and live in centre and never had any problems or seen any fights. Go to Dublin City Centre and they are a regularity. The Drug Problem is there but nowhere near as prevalent as in Dublin. Live in town and think its very quiet with good nightlife and restaurants. Far worse and more dangerous places to live. Slight bit of drama and looking for a reaction from you me thinks.

Maybe I have been unlucky but that doesn't change what I have experienced here.. I was looking for a reaction but not necessarily the one I got from the majority... if you read the original post i asked for organisations and charities in the area and so far only one person has vouched for a charity...

That to me says a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm from Dublin originally and have moved to just outside of drogheda to settle with my family. I am here about two years at this stage and to be honest with regards to violence, drugs and anti-social behaviour it is no better or worse than most provincial towns around ireland.
    Grant it I am at the stage where I don't be out boozing and clubbing so the midnight to 4am madness is not something I'll encounter, I tend to have no problem in and around drogheda when I do venture in for a meal.

I quite like the town during the day and enjoy bobbing about on a saturday afternoon with the kids, for lunch or just to do a bit of shopping.

From going to school, college and living in dublin city centre; I have absolutely no intention of rearing my children near dublin - where I am now is 5 min drive to drogheda, on the coast and 30-40 mins to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

[QUOTE=whippet;88463946where I am now is 5 min drive to drogheda, on the coast and 30-40 mins to dublin.[/QUOTE]

Bettystown? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Maybe I have been unlucky but that doesn't change what I have experienced here.. I was looking for a reaction but not necessarily the one I got from the majority... if you read the original post i asked for organisations and charities in the area and so far only one person has vouched for a charity...

That to me says a lot..

Im from the area originally and agree with your initial statements, ive seen an awful amount of anti social behaviour over the years, but also alot of incredible acts of kindness/community spirit. I will agree though (at least within people I would know/be friends with) the general consensus is that drogheda has gotten worse over the years.

Now, to your question. What type of organisation areyou looking for exactly? Theres SVP, ISPCC, drogheda homeless aid, drogheda womens aid, St John Ambulance, Drogheda River rescue and Recovery and Boyne fishermans River rescue and recovery to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gizmobilly

deccurley wrote: »
    Outsider says some negative things about town. Locals go mental. Disparage outsider's hometown, rather than addressing issues raised by outsider.

Ireland.

yes i agree 100%

trying to deflect it back

very mature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

That to me says a lot..

in your opening post amicranky you didn't specifically ask about charity organisations except for a few words at the end of your post but you did say a lot about the negative side of Drogheda so this is probably why most people commented so, so to try to address your concerns.
    -a quick google would have returned charities in Drogheda like homeless aid, samaritins, boyne river rescue, boomerang youth club, charity shops,S.V.P, Drogheda support 4 older people to name but a few.
    -yes Drogheda does have its rough areas but it is caused by the minority and most people tend to be decent enough(yes I do know people from these areas)
    -there is quite a large police presence at the weekends in the center of town both on foot and in cars(marked and unmarked) and the tend to concentrate on the flashpoint (clubs and takeaways)
    -as for violence,this will always be a problem late at nights where drink is involved but Drogheda is by no means a war zone.
    -where drugs are concerned teenagers will probably always experiment with cannabis which is not a new problem as when I was a teenager many many years ago it was smoked as well, as for harder drugs I would'nt say they are in widespread use but there is by no means a drugs epidemic in Drogheda and is no worse than anywhere else in Ireland of a similar size.
    to finish of Drogheda is by no means perfect and has been hit hard in the recession which probably contributed to the exsisting problems but it's not as bad as the op makes out, I hope this has answered your concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Bettystown? :D

other side of the river ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I'm from drogheda and yes it has an antisocial problem like most towns. But don't just look at the problems. Drogheda has loads of good points. It's a historical town, good night life, good eating, and shopping to name but a few.

So many good decent people in drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If I didn't know any better I'd cry "blogger!" Or "journo!"
    But I don't, so I won't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've stayed out of the debate so far, mainly cause it crops up every now and again and there's no point repeating things I've said about Drogheda's problems again.

But I'd question some who think that Drogheda has "a good night life" (which it does, provided you want to get plastered, but not if you want to do much other than drinking heavily), has "good eating" (which is really questionable to me; one or two great restaurants, but a lot at either end of the extreme spectrum) and "good shopping" (which you only have to look at the empty shop units and abandoned shopping centers to see there's problems there).

I do get some people don't like when "outsiders" post and attack the town, especially when it's not a hugely constructive attack. But I think some people then, in their bid to defend the town, can jump completly in the opposite direction in their defence, and want to pass off the major problems as "Shure, it happens all over, now **** off you with your bad mouthing us".

• Advertisement

Really think Drogheda does have a lot to offer and this comes from someone from Dublin who is now living in Drogheda. Restaurant wise we have an excellent choice and a great option of different bars within a short distance. We are a few minutes from a number of historical sites and by the sea. Yes it has its problems but would now not move back to Dublin if I could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I've stayed out of the debate so far, mainly cause it crops up every now and again and there's no point repeating things I've said about Drogheda's problems again.

But I'd question some who think that Drogheda has "a good night life" (which it does, provided you want to get plastered, but not if you want to do much other than drinking heavily), has "good eating" (which is really questionable to me; one or two great restaurants, but a lot at either end of the extreme spectrum) and "good shopping" (which you only have to look at the empty shop units and abandoned shopping centers to see there's problems there).

I do get some people don't like when "outsiders" post and attack the town, especially when it's not a hugely constructive attack. But I think some people then, in their bid to defend the town, can jump completly in the opposite direction in their defence, and want to pass off the major problems as "Shure, it happens all over, now **** off you with your bad mouthing us".
    There are some decent "local" pubs tbf but I agree with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Been a long time since I was on the lash in Drogheda but McPhails is a good spot and The Black Bull was always nice for a few quiet midweek drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

MugMugs wrote: »
    Been a long time since I was on the lash in Drogheda but McPhails is a good spot and The Black Bull was always nice for a few quiet midweek drinks.

Not any more - even the old fellas in the jumpers who were there every night for decades have abandoned it cause the quality of drink is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not any more - even the old fellas in the jumpers who were there every night for decades have abandoned it cause the quality of drink is shocking

Shame to hear that.

Always enjoyed their Guinness and Erdinger !

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i would have to agree there there are maybe 3 or 4 pubs that are any good but if you dont like loud music or disco bars your choice is limited especially when it comes to trad music(no i'm not a fan of it) as for restaurants you have 4 or 5 that are any good the rest a hit and miss and usually more miss than hit, cant comment on shopping as i dont really do it but there are more closed shops than open but all in all it's not a bad place to live and btw i'm an outsider as well

Thanks to everyone who posted.. All in all I've learnt a lot about Drogheda frombyour posts I think I have definately seen more of the negative side to the town which definitely exists but not everywhere.. I've also learned maybe i should be a little more careful on how I express my concerns as I didn't mean to come across so negatively.. I am planning in raising my family here so I was trying to come from a good place.. The nightlife Is definately not for me and I have found one or two resteraunts that I love.. Hopefully when we move we will have a better experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've been out in Drogheda a few times and crashed in an apartment in Fair St.

I've seen and heard anti-social shouting, arguing, muppets ripping their own tops off to start a fight with someone, trying to kick down doors and vandalise cars, cars beeping their horns through the streets at 1am etc.

I'm not saying it's worse than Dublin, just that there shouldn't be the false perception that it's much safer.
    High unemployment is always going to exaggerate problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Thanks to everyone who posted.. All in all I've learnt a lot about Drogheda frombyour posts I think I have definately seen more of the negative side to the town which definitely exists but not everywhere.. I've also learned maybe i should be a little more careful on how I express my concerns as I didn't mean to come across so negatively.. I am planning in raising my family here so I was trying to come from a good place.. The nightlife Is definately not for me and I have found one or two resteraunts that I love.. Hopefully when we move we will have a better experience

Areucranky89?

macadam wrote: »
    Areucranky89?

Haha sometimes.. Have a newborn so the lack of young babybso lack of sleep definitely doesnt help..

• Advertisement
Advertisement