Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The surely we can't lose 4 in a row match thread.AKA Manchester Utd. vs Swansea.

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought Fletcher was good first half and said as much in here. He is good at turning over possession and making the right pass. Crucially, he makes the pass quickly. This can be the difference between catching a team cold in the transition between attack and defence and allowing the other team to regroup.

This is the difference he makes over the likes of Cleverley, for me. Speed of thought and decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

What I noticed with Fletch compared to cleverly today was that fletcher always tries to give forward passes (Kagawa definitely helped). Cleverly is too cautious and always goes backwards or to carrick in hope of doing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Those saying Moyes my have learned something? Was it the Leverkusen away match when Kag played central and we looked v good? Since then he has been back on the LW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Those saying Moyes my have learned something? Was it the Leverkusen away match when Kag played central and we looked v good? Since then he has been back on the LW...

Yep, have to see what happens in the next few weeks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

beno619 wrote: »
    Yep, have to see what happens in the next few weeks .

Rooney will be back, playing off Welbeck until RVP is back. Kagawa will be getting mins now and then off the bench to replace one of those or Januzaj and playing left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

edgecutter wrote: »
    What I noticed with Fletch compared to cleverly today was that fletcher always tries to give forward passes (Kagawa definitely helped). Cleverly is too cautious and always goes backwards or to carrick in hope of doing something.

That is simply not true. Fletcher passes the ball forward no more than Cleverley does.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is simply not true. Fletcher passes the ball forward no more than Cleverley does.

I'd say that even without looking at the stats that you're correct. Cleverley passes forwards as much as anyone else.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that Fletcher does better, but his passes seem to have more purpose or better timing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Lucky tonite. First goal offside and second deflected off him into the net. They just look toothless without rvp

I'd say that even without looking at the stats that you're correct. Cleverley passes forwards as much as anyone else.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that Fletcher does better, but his passes seem to have more purpose or better timing or something.

I do think Fletcher tries to be more positive with his passes, but on the other hand Clev has better close control. Fletcher has better intelligence when defending, but on the the other hand Cleverley has more energy/stamina. Just like Carrick and Fellaini, they all have pros and cons and none of them have played particularly well yet this season.

Let's see how Fletcher gets on over a bigger sample size. Today he was playing against a poor team and he had a mixed performance. United had one awful half and one good half. Nobody should be drawing too many conclusions from that. All that has gone on this season should tell us that. I would be surprised if Fletcher were to suddenly turn our season around and make us consistently play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We weren't that bad in the first half tbh, don't remember De Gea making too many saves and most of Swansea's possession was their back 4 passing it about.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    We weren't that bad in the first half tbh, don't remember De Gea making too many saves and most of Swansea's possession was their back 4 passing it about.

There's a lot more to a performance than whether you concede shots or not. We were on the back foot for the whole of the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Lucky tonite. First goal offside and second deflected off him into the net. They just look toothless without rvp
    *Don't rise to the bait*

I do think Fletcher tries to be more positive with his passes, but on the other hand Clev has better close control. Fletcher has better intelligence when defending, but on the the other hand Cleverley has more energy/stamina. Just like Carrick and Fellaini, they all have pros and cons and none of them have played particularly well yet this season.

Let's see how Fletcher gets on over a bigger sample size. Today he was playing against a poor team and he had a mixed performance. United had one awful half and one good half. Nobody should be drawing too many conclusions from that. All that has gone on this season should tell us that. I would be surprised if Fletcher were to suddenly turn our season around and make us consistently play well.
    I don't think he'll turn our season around but his composure and drive to be the best is huge, even if he never gets bank to his best.

I think the most striking thing that he did today that has been missing from many of our midfield displays this year is that he waited for the right pass, rather than forcing the issue. His decision making on the ball was invariably excellent.

He struggled in the first half with the pace of the game and was chasing shadows, which is a worry. His fitness needs to improve off the ball but it was his time on the ball that really impressed me, relative to what we have seen

There's a lot more to a performance than whether you concede shots or not. We were on the back foot for the whole of the first half.

I know however I wasn't worried at any stage, Swansea were doing their usual passing it nowhere.

I would disagree we were on the back foot for the whole half

They had more possession against City too.

I know however I wasn't worried at any stage, Swansea were doing their usual passing it nowhere.

I would disagree we were on the back foot for the whole half

They had more possession against City too.

I'm not just talking about what Swansea did in the first half. I wasn't worried by them either, but I was unhappy with what we were able to do. We were unable to control the ball or make things click beyond a few quick, roll-the-dice type passing combinations. It was the same turgid stuff that we have seen too much of under Moyes.

We were unable to control the ball or make things click beyond a few quick, roll-the-dice type passing combinations. It was the same turgid stuff that we have seen too much of under Moyes.

That was down to the players not Moyes. Some poor passing

That was down to the players not Moyes. Some poor passing

Even if that is true, the point remains, we were poor in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

K4t wrote: »
    *Don't rise to the bait*
    what bait? Was Valencia offside when the ball was crossed into the box?
    What about Wellbecks "strike"?

Advertisement