Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I go about asking my landlord for a new carpet

Options
  • 11-01-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I pay my rent on time, keep my place neat. I have a family. The carpets in the house are a bit old, very cheap and by all means need replacing or cleaning by professionals as it is really dirty, the carpets are placed in all rooms upstairs, there is marks/dirt in all of the rooms and during the edges of the carpets they easily fall apart if you hoover and you can see the flooring(I find it impossible to hoover, no matter what they look awful.). How can I go about asking my landlord to replace the carpet or clean?.

I have been in the house less than 3 years(I just signed a new contract in October)(I would say through my years living in this property, the landlord was very nice) I would say the carpet is probably between 5 years old (there are 2 completely different types of carpet).
    1 diff for the bedrooms and one diff for the..(I do not know what they call the place where you have your bathroom and stairs ??
    Corridor maybe ??

All I asked from the landlord was for a bell, fences(they are made of wood and lol, from the winds they broke) A washing machine(which broke as well, I never used it, first time using it, didn't work so asked for new one) A cooker(would not work properly) and I think that is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ask him to kindly replace the carpet, because it's badly in need of replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Well It is not that badly, I have 3 rooms and 1 of the rooms is better then the rest, infact I doubt that needs of changing.
    So maybe cleaning ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well It is not that badly, I have 3 rooms and 1 of the rooms is better then the rest, infact I doubt that needs of changing.
    So maybe cleaning ??

So organise somebody to come clean your carpets

Doubt the landlord will pay to clean them for you

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

So maybe cleaning ??

Who dirtied them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Maybe talk to the landlord, air your concerns and arrange for them to come over and take a look. You can then discuss the best course of action once they have actually seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Gatling wrote: »
    So organise somebody to come clean your carpets

Doubt the landlord will pay to clean them for you

And what if the cleaner destroys the carpet? The op will have to pay something to the landlord. Most tenants can understand a decent reason for a replacement isn't the item isn't too my taste. However is the carpet is thread barren then they should be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

OP has stated the carpets are ok, they just need cleaning. I'd see this like getting curtains cleaned, not LL responsibility. OP there are companies do this, or you can hire a machine yourself from hardware shops or larger Tesco for around €50 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

hfallada wrote: »
    And what if the cleaner destroys the carpet? The op will have to pay something to the landlord. Most tenants can understand a decent reason for a replacement isn't the item isn't too my taste. However is the carpet is thread barren then they should be replaced.

A bit Ott ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you are there three years and have a renewed lease then you must be getting on well with him.
    He has got you new stuff before when asked, Like a lot of landlords he is probably trying to minimise expense but will agree to replace stuff when necessary.
    Ask him to call around, have a look at all the carpets together and decide on either cleaning or replacement or a bit of both. Any expense he incurs is tax allowable and if it means he keeps his tenant happy it is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

MouseTail wrote: »
    OP has stated the carpets are ok, they just need cleaning. I'd see this like getting curtains cleaned, not LL responsibility. OP there are companies do this, or you can hire a machine yourself from hardware shops or larger Tesco for around €50 a day.

Not necessarily. If the carpets were immaculate before moving in then yes, the tenant should probably be paying to have them cleaned. However, we are in our place over three years and the carpets in no way need professional cleaning, so if its a case that they were not at their best to begin with then I dont think its unreasonable to expect the landlord to contribute something at least towards their cleaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'd be concerned that the carpets are that bad after 3 years.
    I have carpets in my bedrooms, granted they are not a high traffic area, but they are in there over five years - I've never had to have them professionally cleaned, nor are they threadbare.

OP contact the landlord and ask them to call around for a visit. If it is just a good thorough cleaning they need, I'm afraid that is your responsibility, if they need to be replaced the landlord needs to be aware of the condition of the carpets.

Advertisement