Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL or NUIG?

• 11-01-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Doing leaving cert at the moment, was always settled on Environmental Science in UL but they have an Environmental Science course in NUIG aswell that has caught my eye. If there is anyone who did the course on any of the two places could you tell me about it? I'd also like to know about the area in general ie nightlife, student life etc which would you recommend? I'm from Waterford so I wouldn't know much about either other than the courses. I shoul mention tht I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, and Geograpgy. Doing HL maths and finding them extremely tough so is there a lot of maths in the course?
    Also regarding the gyms, what are the weights facilities like in the gyms? I know the Munster Rugby team train in the gym at UL but is it always crowded ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 Green Branch Knight

finished the course at NUIG in 2004.. Galway is a great city for students, its fairly small and the main hub is very central which makes for great craic and nights out. There is life in the city all year around and plenty of student action (with the two main colleges)...if you know anybody in Galway it would be worth spending the weekend in the city to absorb the atmosphere (maybe an open day)...you will probably fly the first year as you have the core subjects of Chem and Biology (i only had physics when i started so found the Biology and Chem fairly tough), the main reason i did env sci as opposed to earth science was that Env Sci did not have any Maths (which i was nt great at...there was not a huge amount of maths, mainly a few formulas, equations (mostly through the chemisty sections of the course)...if you are finding the maths in LC tough id say you will get thought the course fine...the course in Galway is mainly biological while i believe the course in Limerick is more industrially based (there is a work placement in the UL course which can be advantagous)....havent been to the new gym in NUIG galway but i'd say its fine, probable gets busy at the peak times...hope this helps and answers a few of your queries

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Molojan

finished the course at NUIG in 2004.. Galway is a great city for students, its fairly small and the main hub is very central which makes for great craic and nights out. There is life in the city all year around and plenty of student action (with the two main colleges)...if you know anybody in Galway it would be worth spending the weekend in the city to absorb the atmosphere (maybe an open day)...you will probably fly the first year as you have the core subjects of Chem and Biology (i only had physics when i started so found the Biology and Chem fairly tough), the main reason i did env sci as opposed to earth science was that Env Sci did not have any Maths (which i was nt great at...there was not a huge amount of maths, mainly a few formulas, equations (mostly through the chemisty sections of the course)...if you are finding the maths in LC tough id say you will get thought the course fine...the course in Galway is mainly biological while i believe the course in Limerick is more industrially based (there is a work placement in the UL course which can be advantagous)....havent been to the new gym in NUIG galway but i'd say its fine, probable gets busy at the peak times...hope this helps and answers a few of your queries

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the info it's good to know that it's not very mathematically based as I'm probably going to end up going back to pass. Student life seems unreal up there so roll on September.

Advertisement