Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax Pvr freeview box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭geoweb2k14

swoofer wrote: »
    the box you want is this one and yes it will pick up saorview and freeview hd.

humax make bothe versions, ie one for freesat on satellite and the other for freeview. its a bonus that they both work in ireland.

I think with the freeview hd version the irish channels are in the 800 range.

look here

https://www1.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/e4cdfbf3-14c2-4f8f-ac60-b08241aeacef

forgive me for being thick but is freeview the saorview that we have in republic??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Freeview & Freesat are brand names for UK services: Freeview is terrestrial broadcast, Freesat is satellite.

The actual broadcasts are free-to-air & can be received on non-Freeview & non-Freesat branded equipment. In the case of free-to-air satellite, you will only get a proper 7-day programme guide with Freesat equipment.

Saorview is the Irish Freeview.

Combi boxes come in a few flavours: off-the-shelf versions can be Saorview approved on the terrestrial side, with the satellite channels only having 'now & next' programme info. Also plenty of generic types.

There are no Freesat combis although, there are generic receivers that are more customisable if you want to put in the effort (or a PC setup).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭geoweb2k14

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Freeview & Freesat are brand names for UK services: Freeview is terrestrial broadcast, Freesat is satellite.

The actual broadcasts are free-to-air & can be received on non-Freeview & non-Freesat branded equipment. In the case of free-to-air satellite, you will only get a proper 7-day programme guide with Freesat equipment.

Saorview is the Irish Freeview.

Combi boxes come in a few flavours: off-the-shelf versions can be Saorview approved on the terrestrial side, with the satellite channels only having 'now & next' programme info. Also plenty of generic types.

There are no Freesat combis although, there are generic receivers that are more customisable if you want to put in the effort (or a PC setup).

sounds complicated, i think ill skip for now before i drive you nuts:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭kooga

quick question for the humax and pana users , can ye access rte aertel through those stb? tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ei9go

kooga wrote: »
    Interesting thread, has anybody got a freeview pvr box with blu ray ? just asking as i am running outt of hdmi ports on my tv.

current set up
    hdmi 1 combo box
    hdmi 2 sky box (bt Sub)
    hdmi 3 blu ray player

possible set up
    hdmi 1 sat receiver
    hdmi 2 sky box
    hdmi 3 freeview hd box pvr blu ray

any suggestions would be great, thanks

I have a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder with DVD recorder but they make a version with Bluray.

Works nearly perfectly with Saorview other than the previously mentioned anomaly where the guide works but there is no information about the programmes.

You can reorder the channels as you wish and the guide then reflects this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

ei9go wrote: »
    I have a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder with DVD recorder but they make a version with Bluray.

Works nearly perfectly with Saorview other than the previously mentioned anomaly where the guide works but there is no information about the programmes.

You can reorder the channels as you wish and the guide then reflects this.

I have also a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder (with Bluray player) and it timer records both Freeview and Saorview perfectly. As you say the programme info. is minimal for Saorview but this is the only drawback with what is otherwise an excellent PVR.

I have also a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder (with Bluray player) and it timer records both Freeview and Saorview perfectly. As you say the programme info. is minimal for Saorview but this is the only drawback with what is otherwise an excellent PVR.

what model is it? and can it get aertel text?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Model DMR PWT530 and yes aertel text works fine on this model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ei9go

Mine is DMR XW380 and text works fine.

lads will a humax youview box work in the ROI for saorview? e.g. the DTR t1010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 mper

Having followed this thread for some time I decided to buy this box from Amazon UK. When the box was set up the time showed as GMT+0, i.e. it did not allow for summer time. There seems no way of adjusting time. Humax support suggested doing a factory reset. I have already done this several times with no result. Therefore the box is presently unusable. Has anyone any suggestions?
    If not I will have to return it to Amazon. This seems a shame as it seemed a very good buy from the previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I had this problem and contacted Support.

They told me the clock was set from a BBC channel.

If you can switch over to BBC 1 or 2 just for a minute, this should change the time.

It worked for me anyway.

Regards
    Max

Thanks Maximus for such a quick reply.

Alas I can't see any way of tuning to a BBC channel as I live in the Cork area and can only get Irish terrestrial channels which I receive from Crosshaven transponder ( I get BBC on Freesat) .Unless there is some other solution I'm afraid the unit will have to go back . Presumably this serves as a caution to anyone thinking of buying one of these if they are not in range of a BBC terrestrial transmitter.

Any other possible solutions?
    Regards, Mauricee

mper

I live in Drogheda and so was able to tune in BBC.

I was looking for a way of doing this for a couple of weeks before I found out that the clock is controlled by BBC. Sorry but I don't know of any other ways.

Maybe try doing a retune and see if you can pick up even a weak BBC signal.

Apart from this I'm very happy with the Humax PVR.

Max

I think I have run out of options to sort out this box as there is no way for me to pick up a BBC channel from my location. One thing I notice is that Huggs2, who lives in Galway seems to have no problems and one would assume that he has no access to BBC terrestrial either. Perhaps he would like to comment on this?.

It seems that for anyone thinking of buying this unit, it is ESSENTIAL that he has access to BBC terrestrial.

I am afraid the box is going back to Amazon unless anyone knows of a hidden service menu where the clock could be fixed.

Thanks anyway Max for the effort to help.

Hi Mper

its a pity about the Humax. I have a posting up on the panasonic v the humax here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057222108

going to go for the panasonic myself

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

mper wrote: »
    I think I have run out of options to sort out this box as there is no way for me to pick up a BBC channel from my location. One thing I notice is that Huggs2, who lives in Galway seems to have no problems and one would assume that he has no access to BBC terrestrial either. Perhaps he would like to comment on this?.

It seems that for anyone thinking of buying this unit, it is ESSENTIAL that he has access to BBC terrestrial.

I am afraid the box is going back to Amazon unless anyone knows of a hidden service menu where the clock could be fixed.

As mentioned earlier i don't have access to bbc terrestrial and you don't need it. You need to access the secret menu on the box.

MENU
    SETTINGS
    SYSTEM
    SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Press- RED, GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE, GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE
    Change country to IRELAND and your done:)

Have you got the humax working in Cork?

Thanks to both Kooga and Huggs 2 for the posts. I have been looking at the Panasonic130 on Kooga's posting and it looks good. What I am going to do is a last try with Hugg's "secret menu" and if that doesn't work I will definitely go for the Panasonic.

Problem is I am running short on time to return Humax to Amazon so I will have to act one way or the other very soon.

Anyway I will post up the outcome when sorted out.

Hurray!! Box is working at last in Cork area thanks to huggs2's information. I followed his instructions exactly and was able to get into the "secret" menu.

I changed the time to +I hour and the country to Ireland. I then discovered that box didn't do timer record (even tho it seemed to, nothing was actually recorded). Went back, left the altered time,and changed country back to England. Box then recorded Fair City perfectly and seemed set for series record. Can't check series record til Sunday's episode; but I will report back after that.

I think there was something about the country problem in a previous post.

So I will probably hold on to this Humax now. I was seriously considering Kooga's Panasonic as I have a Panasonic Freesat recorder and it is very user friendly. So huggs2's seems the definitive solution to this problem. (except not to change the country).

Thanks again to all.

• Advertisement

mper thats great news. quick question does the humax give programme information? great to know you have a choice between the humax and the pana if you want an irish terrestial recorder with series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Hurray!! Box is working at last in Cork area thanks to huggs2's information. I followed his instructions exactly and was able to get into the "secret" menu.

I changed the time to +I hour and the country to Ireland. I then discovered that box didn't do timer record (even tho it seemed to, nothing was actually recorded). Went back, left the altered time,and changed country back to England. Box then recorded Fair City perfectly and seemed set for series record. Can't check series record til Sunday's episode; but I will report back after that.

I think there was something about the country problem in a previous post.

So I will probably hold on to this Humax now. I was seriously considering Kooga's Panasonic as I have a Panasonic Freesat recorder and it is very user friendly. So huggs2's seems the definitive solution to this problem. (except not to change the country).

Thanks again to all.
    HI mper, Glad your getting somewhere.Altering time only confuses things.
    Change Country only and it works.

First for Kooga - yes the box gives complete programme information, so that is nice to have although not a deal breaker.

For Huggs2 - I didn't realise that changing country ONLY fixed the problem. Anyway, as everything seems to be working fine at the moment I will stick with my present setup for now. If the time doesn't pick up winter time setting in due course I will go to Huggs suggestion of only changing the country.

First for Kooga - yes the box gives complete programme information, so that is nice to have although not a deal breaker.

For Huggs2 - I didn't realise that changing country ONLY fixed the problem. Anyway, as everything seems to be working fine at the moment I will stick with my present setup for now. If the time doesn't pick up winter time setting in due course I will go to Huggs suggestion of only changing the country.

mper when you get a change can you post some pics of the epg etc.

keep us posted on how series link goes (need a pvr for true blood on tg4 and the walking dead on rte 2 as the transmission times are off the walls) in particular whether it gets the start and end of the programme. not going up to Belfast till june 18th so have a few days to think about either buying the humax £169 or pana £165.

so compared to the pana the humax gives programme info which is handy.

Hi

I've had this Humax pvr for a while and the series link works great. Just as good as the Sky box I used to use. (Saving lots of cash now!!)

Like the Sky box you can add time to the start and end of a program which you're recording so no problems with missing bits.

I'm very happy with mine anyway.

Max

maximus02 wrote: »
    Hi

I've had this Humax pvr for a while and the series link works great. Just as good as the Sky box I used to use. (Saving lots of cash now!!)

Like the Sky box you can add time to the start and end of a program which you're recording so no problems with missing bits.

I'm very happy with mine anyway.

Max

Tks Maximus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

and the country to Ireland. I then discovered that box didn't do timer record (even tho it seemed to, nothing was actually recorded). Went back, left the altered time,and changed country back to England. Box then recorded Fair City perfectly and seemed set for series record. Can't check series record til Sunday's episode; but I will report back after that.

I have the older model HDR Fox T2. Setting the country to Ireland caused the series link option for recording programming to disappear. Had to leave it on England for it to work.

Hi,Kooga.

I can confirm that series link works fine. It did a series record on Fair City last night and start and end were recorded with no need for padding.

Sorry I can't send pics of guide at the moment. Apparently I must have 50 posts to qualify to send these. (Also I'm not too sure of the procedure). Maybe one of the more senior members would send some for your perusal?. Anyway I can say that it seems very clear and easy to use.

By the way, you can buy either the Humax or Pana. from Amazon at the same prices you quoted. Advantage is you have 30 days to return item if you don't like it. They even give you a prepaid label for return post. So you needn't feel under time pressure to make up your mind

Hi,Kooga.

I can confirm that series link works fine. It did a series record on Fair City last night and start and end were recorded with no need for padding.

Sorry I can't send pics of guide at the moment. Apparently I must have 50 posts to qualify to send these. (Also I'm not too sure of the procedure). Maybe one of the more senior members would send some for your perusal?. Anyway I can say that it seems very clear and easy to use.

By the way, you can buy either the Humax or Pana. from Amazon at the same prices you quoted. Advantage is you have 30 days to return item if you don't like it. They even give you a prepaid label for return post. So you needn't feel under time pressure to make up your mind

Again Tks

under a bit of time pressure with walking dead and true blood on rte and tg4 at the moment, anyway will be in belfast next tuesday so will purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just beware you should add padding. RTE/2RN have no way of updating the series link/recording data live so if a show runs late the program guide/recording data will be incorrect. This is imporant for shows after live events/football matches as the football can run late with say penalties and so your show will start recording early and end early.

So I normally recommend maximum padding, just in case. In the UK the BBC can update the recording & show times on the fly from their end.

Advertisement