Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

400's

• 11-01-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking at getting back on the bike and was looking at some of the 400s knocking around super four,vfr,cbr,bandits ect but also looking at 250s too mainly hornets and cbr's. Question is a lot of these bike are early 90's to late 90's is it going to be worth my while or am I better of getting something newer. ( I'm on a tight budget €1750 max) Il be getting the A cat licence so can drive anything but rather something with a enough power to accelerate out of a tight spot if needs be as opposed a 125 on the m1 Also it's more for commuting. I don't think a 600+ sports bike would be the right choice as that can come in time too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Whatever about your choice of bike if you are going to go for the full A Licence - I presume you are going to do Direct Access then you will not be able to use a 400 or a 250 for that matter for your lessons and your test.

I have a Superfour and had to use a school bike - a Hyusong 650 for my IBT, pre-test and for the test itself - tha's because I went for Direct Access - had I used my own bike and did the test on it I would have ended up with a restricted A2 licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Trebob wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking at getting back on the bike and was looking at some of the 400s knocking around super four,vfr,cbr,bandits ect but also looking at 250s too mainly hornets and cbr's. Question is a lot of these bike are early 90's to late 90's is it going to be worth my while or am I better of getting something newer.

It's up to how much money you can afford to spend. If you're on a budget (as stated) there's no harm going for an older bike. I'm on my GF's bike at the minute while I rebuild my own. She has a 1993 Super Four. The bike is spotless, bulletproof, running like a dream... Not a thing wrong with older bikes. Some are better then the newer ones IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Also I would rather buy an older bike with a full service history then a fairly new one with nothing, not a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

josh59 wrote: »
    Whatever about your choice of bike if you are going to go for the full A Licence - I presume you are going to do Direct Access then you will not be able to use a 400 or a 250 for that matter for your lessons and your test.

I have a Superfour and had to use a school bike - a Hyusong 650 for my IBT, pre-test and for the test itself - tha's because I went for Direct Access - had I used my own bike and did the test on it I would have ended up with a restricted A2 licence.

Yup indeed I see your point I'm fully aware that il need a school bike for the test. Yup going direct access only getting back on the bike after 8 years or so. Thsnks for the sdvice how do you find the super four?

So there are a few good ones left that's good to hear I guess it just comes down to finding the right one. Just want a commuter with a little bit of power. I remember being 17 on a 125 and well I just didn't feel all that safe limited to 60-70mph. Anyone any recommend bike. And faults to look out for in the ones I've mentioned.

• Advertisement

So there are a few good ones left that's good to hear I guess it just comes down to finding the right one. Just want a commuter with a little bit of power. I remember being 17 on a 125 and well I just didn't feel all that safe limited to 60-70mph. Anyone any recommend bike. And faults to look out for in the ones I've mentioned.

Well, I'm biased so I'll say the Super Four! :pac: I used it the odd day commuting, even when the ZX9 was running and I love it. It won't rip your head off speed wise, but she'll do the ton easy and is very agile and able. A mate of mine recently bought a 1990 VFR400. It's another strong, durable, nimble bike. Riding position is very "sporty" though so might not be comfy if it's a long commute. Honda Bros is another great bike if you can get a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Also I would rather buy an older bike with a full service history then a fairly new one with nothing, not a piece of paper.
    I wrench on my own two wheels, don't trust mechanics with my machine.

Many shoddy encounters with mechanics that don't care about your machine as much as they should do or as much as you do, made me learn how to do it myself.

Serviced on a regular schedule, valve clearances done at specified mileage quotas, everything torqued to spec, cleaned & checked for leaks, wear & tear etc., on a weekly basis...

A better looked after machine you will not find & I have, 'not a piece of paper' on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Yup indeed I see your point I'm fully aware that il need a school bike for the test. Yup going direct access only getting back on the bike after 8 years or so. Thsnks for the sdvice how do you find the super four?

My first bike and I'm a late comer to biking - wont reveal my age but I'm the other side of 40 shall we say.

It's grand - a bit tattly as it's a 1993 - but its grand for me - I dont get out enough as I use a car for work. Mechanically it's grand - I've put on new tyres, chain and sprockets and fitted a set of Hagon back shocks as the originals began to leak. And it starts on the button even after being left for several weeks :)

It might be worth your while as well looking at something like a Bandit 600.

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I wrench on my own two wheels, don't trust mechanics with my machine.

Many shoddy encounters with mechanics that don't care about your machine as much as they should do or as much as you do, made me learn how to do it myself.

Serviced on a regular schedule, valve clearances done at specified mileage quotas, everything torqued to spec, cleaned & checked for leaks, wear & tear etc., on a weekly basis...

A better looked after machine you will not find & I have, 'not a piece of paper' on it.

I agree, I also do my own servicing. But I do keep a paper record of the servicing I do (had it stapled on the back of the haynes service manual) and when I sold my own FZ6 in the summer it was the key to selling it and getting a good price.

So just because you service it yourself does not mean you cant have a "Full Service History" as the maintained bike will back you up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bunnibasher

I've got a 1991 Honda Bros 400cc, I think it's a super bike. My mate has a vfr800 n wants a bros for daily use after riding mine. Can't go wrong with Honda. It was v.reasonable too. I dealt with PG motorcycles outside Rathkeale

• Advertisement

If it were me I would try to find a CB500 or the CB500F, absolute cracker of a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

I started out on a suzuki gsx 400 Impulse, its an amazing bike! Perfect to start out on, it has lots of power but it comes on gently so you dont need to worry about jerking the throttle. The Inline fours are always pretty snappy. I've just recently moved up to a GSXR 750 and Im now selling my 400 so if you are interested, keep an eye on done deal over the next few days for a 95 GSX 400

Cheers guys for all the advice. Basically the consensus is that there are lots of older bikes out there that have been looked after by most owners, there's always going to be the odd lemon. Seems a happy medium for me not to small but not to big perfect for what I'm looking for. I will also have a look at the cb500 maybe the er500 too. Il keep an eye on dd too for that gsx.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

I have seen dwelby101 gsx, really nice looking bike.
    congrats on the GSXR, I think I saw you in town on it a few days back, did not recognise the bike though so did not know it was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If it were me I would try to find a CB500 or the CB500F, absolute cracker of a bike.

+1 . Have one for 20 years and still going strong. Similar to 400-4 in terms of power weight etc but overall a better bike.
    I would also look at Kawasaki and Suzuki equivalents.

Thanks guys I am now swinging towards the 500's that were mentioned. I'm also open to the idea of Fazer or hornet. I prefer the hornet tbh. Also going to keep the super four in mind too.

Thanks guys I am now swinging towards the 500's that were mentioned. I'm also open to the idea of Fazer or hornet. I prefer the hornet tbh. Also going to keep the super four in mind too.

CB500 is a great bike. 2 million couriers can't be wrong! :pac:

The Hornet 600 was my second bike (after a Honda Bros 400) and I loved it! Fantastic bike, robust, durable, ideal for commuting but is a great hooligan machine when pushed. Honda reliability too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TDM900

Hi I'm looking at getting back on the bike and was looking at some of the 400s knocking around super four,vfr,cbr,bandits ect but also looking at 250s too mainly hornets and cbr's. Question is a lot of these bike are early 90's to late 90's is it going to be worth my while or am I better of getting something newer. ( I'm on a tight budget €1750 max) Il be getting the A cat licence so can drive anything but rather something with a enough power to accelerate out of a tight spot if needs be as opposed a 125 on the m1 Also it's more for commuting. I don't think a 600+ sports bike would be the right choice as that can come in time too. Thanks.
    You'll pick up an ok Honda CB500 for about 1000 Euros and it leaves you enough for gear to fully kit you out.There are plenty of them out there.To convert it to a low power version for your licence only entails an hours labour in a bike shop.
    I may be selling my 1995 CB500 soon as I may be buying a new 500F but this is not a post by me looking for a buyer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1 for the CB500 or, if you come across one, the CB-1 400 produced for the Japanese market ('89-92). Quite like the BROS in terms of looks/size/handing, with plenty of zip due to lower gearing and an unusually high-revving engine, for the time.

Honda all the way for me, especially if looking at 20-year-old bikes. Get a good one and you'll be laughing. You don't need to spend over a grand to get something decent that you won't get bored with. Enjoy!

Advertisement