Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hi

• 11-01-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

ive updated windows, and getting the not genuine message etc, laptop is over 5 years old, (windows 7 ultimate), so cant find box, and sticker underneath is unreadible. tried cmd route didnt work. thinking of running daz loader is it safe, or is it ok to leave it as is, or will leaving it cause problems.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

to get the serial you can use magic jellybean keyfinder

can't remember the fix for false positive's on WGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

hadepsx wrote: »
    ive updated windows, and getting the not genuine message etc, laptop is over 5 years old, (windows 7 ultimate), so cant find box, and sticker underneath is unreadible. tried cmd route didnt work. thinking of running daz loader is it safe, or is it ok to leave it as is, or will leaving it cause problems.
    That loader is totally illegal and highly dangerous as it does something to the bios to fool you into thinking that windows is activated, so stay away from it is my advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭hadepsx

thanks for advice. if i just left it as is, would that make the os crash or lead to other major problems? i can put up with the message at bottom right otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

200motels wrote: »
    That loader is totally illegal and highly dangerous as it does something to the bios to fool you into thinking that windows is activated, so stay away from it is my advise.

To be fair, and although I can't recommend it over legitimate software, calling it dangerous is a bit extreme. It doesn't touch the BIOS. It hooks some ACPI calls to convince the OS that it's activated.
    Legal: no. But there's no malicious code.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no discussion of warez please

doesn't matter if there is malicious code or not, because someone will figure out a way by now , it's just too tempting a target.

never download a windows ISO ( or cisco image or indeed any OS / network device image ) from a third party , because too many have been root-kitted or back doored.

Windows costs money. End of Discussion.

I've already pointed out that magic jellybean will tell you your serial number, so COA sticker is a non-issue. but you should photo graph or record your COA sticker when you get a new machine anyway.

yes WGA can be annoying and yes it can have false positives, - that can be discussed , ie. how to I get WGA to recognise my genuine copy of windows is genuine.

Any discussion of how to bypass microsoft activation for non-genuine software - read the charter

You can get windows for free. Download the trial version of server, this gets you 180 days. Plenty of guides on the interweb on how to optimise it for workstation use.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11093

you can get any number of alternative OS's for free including BSD , Apple OSX is based on non-free version of BSD

• Advertisement

ok i tried jellybean and entered in the given product code. its starts with a couple of 000s but it would not accept them so couldnt put in all of code. very odd. again if i leave it as is will this lead to system crash etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

This worked for me

Start your PC and click on Start button.
    Use the search tool over there and search for ‘cmd’.
    Right click on the ‘cmd’ in search result and choose option ‘Run as administrator’.
    Now type ‘SLMGR –REARM’ and hit enter. Type the words as it is otherwise method will not work.
    Now a popup will appear as Windows Script Host which will notify that you’ve successfully completed that command and you need to restart your system.
    Follow previous command i.e. restart your PC now.

yeah tried that no luck though

yeah tried that no luck though

Try this next

In case you’re still experiencing the same problem then you need to follow below mentioned steps,

Move into your control panel and then go into the Windows Update section. Alternatively you can move into the ‘Uninstall a program’ tool.
    Now click on ‘View installed updates’ and wait for all updates to get listed.
    Now find out update with name ‘KB971033’ and uninstall it from your Windows.
    Restart your PC now.

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Try this next

In case you’re still experiencing the same problem then you need to follow below mentioned steps,

Move into your control panel and then go into the Windows Update section. Alternatively you can move into the ‘Uninstall a program’ tool.
    Now click on ‘View installed updates’ and wait for all updates to get listed.
    Now find out update with name ‘KB971033’ and uninstall it from your Windows.
    Restart your PC now.

ok just did this and still no luck:(

• Advertisement

ok just did this and still no luck:(

Might have exhausted a few options here but worst case scenario is that the PC will be fine , it won't crash or anything . It's just it might keep resetting your desktop wallpaper and you will a possible message on startup telling you the os isn't genuine . Nothing to worry about !

thanks lenny i can live with a few pop ups, so thats put my mind at ease somewhat. thanks again

thanks lenny i can live with a few pop ups, so thats put my mind at ease somewhat. thanks again

No worries :-)

Advertisement