Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst cycling injuries you've had so far ?

Options
  • 11-01-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I was out mountainbiking once just after clearing the track so i said id go test out one hill that we cleared while my friend stayed at the top to watch.
    It was a wet day and the hill was pretty slippy, but not the worst ive been out on, so as i came down the hill, I felt the bike start to slide. I pulled the back brake and ever so lightly touched the front brake (in a moment of panic i guess) I came to the center of the hill where a log was laying half in the ground. I forgot to pop the front wheel, Went head first over the handlebars flipped twice in the air, landing on my shoulder with the bike on top of me. Had a pretty serious shoulder injury for 2-3 months after and nearly broke my collar bone.

Whats your worst cycling injury ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Never anything more serious than bruises, cuts and (eww) hemarrhoids.

Edit - actually when I was very young, about 7 or 8, I came off my bike on the bmx track in Marley park and slid on my neck on the gravel. Cut seemed to last for a year. Probably cried for that long too, twas awful sore. Looked cool though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bruises and some road rash from crashing at 55 kph in a race was the initial injuries, but the most annoying we're the damaged hip flexors that made footwork like driving a car, or transitioning from sitting to standing anything between problematic and painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Never anything more serious than bruises, cuts and (eww) hemarrhoids.

Ouch, cant image the pain ....

Idleater wrote: »
    Bruises and some road rash from crashing at 55 kph in a race was the initial injuries, but the most annoying we're the damaged hip flexors that made footwork like driving a car, or transitioning from sitting to standing anything between problematic and painful.

Racing crashes can be pretty serious from what ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

2 separate incidents a few years apart.
    The first one resulted in a broken shoulder, the second one in a broken wrist.
    As my Mrs keeps reminding me, "three strikes and you're out".

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    2 separate incidents a few years apart.
    The first one resulted in a broken shoulder, the second one in a broken wrist.
    As my Mrs keeps reminding me, "three strikes and you're out".

Haha probably sick of minding ya :P but hey tell her it makes ya more manly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Moderate concussion after slowing from about 35kph to zero against a tree rootball in BallyHoura about four years ago. I was hammering across the hillside on the way back to the trailhead along the open section with the tree stumps that need weaving around, then just after crossing the fireroad into what is now a long set of berms, I clipped a trail anchor with my left pedal putting me completely airborne into the outside of the bend and I came to a complete stop. Unconscious for a few moments, came to to see the wheel still spinning on the bike, helmet shattered and feeling a bit bruised. After a few moments to check myself for anything obviously broken or cut, I freewheeled the bike to the trailhead as the crank was bent inwards.
    Results of the impact were bruises on my nose and temple from the glasses being hit on the side. A bruised arm, elbow and forearm, bruised hip, and bruised thigh. The helmet was in 6 pieces. The doc in the Galway Medical Centre suggested I take a few days off work as I was slurring my words and having some hand-eye coordination difficulties and this was 36 hours afterwards..
    The overall lack of serious injury from this suggests that being of muscular build is a good thing for being able to withstand heavy impacts.

Other than that interesting crash, I've escaped with only shinrash from pedals, general road rash or gravel rash or SPD-related bruising. I've been somewhat lucky I think given the impacts I've had and the injuries received..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cracked my head off a kerb, ruined my helmet but not my oakleys!

Wait until Beasty posts..

Popoutman wrote: »
    Moderate concussion after slowing from about 35kph to zero against a tree rootball in BallyHoura about four years ago. I was hammering across the hillside on the way back to the trailhead along the open section with the tree stumps that need weaving around, then just after crossing the fireroad into what is now a long set of berms, I clipped a trail anchor with my left pedal putting me completely airborne into the outside of the bend and I came to a complete stop. Unconscious for a few moments, came to to see the wheel still spinning on the bike, helmet shattered and feeling a bit bruised. After a few moments to check myself for anything obviously broken or cut, I freewheeled the bike to the trailhead as the crank was bent inwards.
    Results of the impact were bruises on my nose and temple from the glasses being hit on the side. A bruised arm, elbow and forearm, bruised hip, and bruised thigh. The helmet was in 6 pieces. The doc in the Galway Medical Centre suggested I take a few days off work as I was slurring my words and having some hand-eye coordination difficulties and this was 36 hours afterwards..
    The overall lack of serious injury from this suggests that being of muscular build is a good thing for being able to withstand heavy impacts.

Other than that interesting crash, I've escaped with only shinrash from pedals, general road rash or gravel rash or SPD-related bruising. I've been somewhat lucky I think given the impacts I've had and the injuries received..

Woah !! Thought i was bad, I dont even come close to this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Broken wrist falling in ice a few years ago, but I the worst was this:

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/BeastyofNCD/preop.jpg

That was before the skin graft ...

... this one was after:

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/BeastyofNCD/postop.jpg

I won't embed in case anyone's squeamish:pac:

Had concussion, lots more road rash and 4 days in hospital as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Broken pelvis,road rash, bruises,cuts and now held together with 2 big screws .

Beasty wrote: »

... this one was after:

I thought things like that only happpened in extreme sports :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Beasty wrote: »

... this one was after:

photo.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought things like that only happpened in extreme sports :O
    It was on a commute with no other vehicle involved, hence my contributions to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

Carpenter wrote: »
    Broken pelvis,road rash, bruises,cuts and now held together with 2 big screws .

that was the same weekend in November I fractured the collarbone wasnt it, how is it now carpenter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I know of a guy who was out on a spin with a few friends (luckily) and he hit gravel on a bend and tried to jump off his bike and over a roadside barrier all in one go only to catch his wrist/forearm in a piece of the metal barrier, sadly he lost his arm from below the elbow, it was ripped from him in the crash, his mates saved him from bleeding to death and they said he wasn't even speeding.

How sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

eoghan84 wrote: »
    that was the same weekend in November I fractured the collarbone wasnt it, how is it now carpenter?

Top class and thank you for asking they did a fine job and to tell the through I feel better on the bike than walking for a few miles hows the collarbone just in after 60k and its like I never went out fresh as can be .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Old one but was brought down in a bunch sprint. Had half my nose ripped off, lost 1/3 or my upper lip, a 2cm chunk out of my chin and similar at the bridge of my nose. Lost 5 teeth and cracked numerous others. Broke my left elbow and a finger as well as various bruises. Also concussed and was unconscious for 45 mins.
    12 operations over the next 18 months using grafts from my thigh and a one graft and thanks to the excellent staff at St James hospital have no real residual effects apart from scarring and a few aches and pains.

Am not an advocate for compulsory helmet wearing but in this incidence am convinced it saved my life or at least prevented brain damage.

Broke a few spokes and rear mech , scuffed gear levels and tore off rear mech hanger too.

On the bright side did get a sympathy shag once I got home from hospital and have a 7 yr old as a result who was worth any amount of suffering....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Fractured an elbow, lost a lot of skin, had about half a roads worth of gravel under the skin on my eg, ruined a brand new Barber jacket, shirt and trousers...

...Came off the bike on a dodgy speedbump at a hefty 8kph....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2 broken ribs and a broken collarbone caused by t-boning a car at 40km/h in October 2012.

(Sneezing with broken ribs has to be one of the worst pains possible!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Cold hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Broken Pelvis in once incident. Burst nose in another crash along with road rash, cuts, scrapes etc . Faired a lot better then some of you guys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

A car pulled out of a stop sign just as I was coming down a hill ,i went straight into the side of it over the top and down hard against the road, i came away with a broken ankle, wrist,7 stitches and severe road burns up to my elbows and some mild concussion, that wasn't too bad but the place where I got the stitches became infected with a thing called cellulitis ,which is not a pleasant experience I can tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

whupdedo wrote: »
    A car pulled out of a stop sign just as I was coming down a hill ,i went straight into the side of it over the top and down hard against the road, i came away with a broken ankle, wrist,7 stitches and severe road burns up to my elbows and some mild concussion, that wasn't too bad but the place where I got the stitches became infected with a thing called cellulitis ,which is not a pleasant experience I can tell you

Thats exactly what happened to me on one of my crashes. i flew over the front bonnet. Luckily nothing was broken just a burst nose, cuts, scrapes etc and a buckled front wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Note to self: Don't come back to this thread.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Simultaneous broken collar bones! Came off on some ice and broke the left collar bone. Then got back on the bike a few days later got back on to go for an easy spin and came off on some diesel and broke the right one - spent 3 weeks sleeping on my back which was even worse than the breaks!

The only other injury of note was extensive road rash when I came off on some gravel coming down through Rathfarnham when I used my left arse cheek as a brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

This last Feb. 4 fractures to ball of humerus. Some minor scarring to face as well for good measure.

Wrecked front wheel and left shifter too.

Still no idea exactly what happened - reckon I'm probably better off not knowing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Broken wrist, I got my hand down before my head hit the ground when T-Boned (car didn't see cycle lane and turned right as soon as there were no traffic.)

fractured eye socket and stitches to the head (cycle lane was not gritted when road was)

Not a fan of using "cycling infrastructure" sanymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ouch some of the injuries above had me reading thins thread with a grimace and my hand over my mouth :eek:

I dislocated my shoulder coming off the bike on a patch of oil back in October, and put it back in myself and continued on for a swim and flicked it up royally!

About 7 years ago I got hit by a car 7 years ago, lost my memory for 2 weeks. Woke up in Vincents like why happened to me? How is it 10 o clock? !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jawgap wrote: »
    Simultaneous broken collar bones! Came off on some ice and broke the left collar bone. Then got back on the bike a few days later got back on to go for an easy spin and came off on some diesel and broke the right one - spent 3 weeks sleeping on my back which was even worse than the breaks!
    Didn't you break a pedal or crank or something a while back? Any injuries?
    Jawgap wrote:
    The only other injury of note was extensive road rash ....
    Just thinking there that I have had about four spills in the past four years (disregarding 2 clipless incidents :o) but all have been in winter when I've been wrapped up fairly well so no real road rash. I've never come down in shorts/short sleeves (well not since I was a child/teenager!)

Advertisement