Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst cycling injuries you've had so far ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

outfox wrote: »
    So do you guys reckon it would be madness to cycle regularly without health insurance? A few of you suggest that it might not be necessary initially, as you have to go to A&E. But for follow up work, is health insurance a must?
    Reason I ask is that I gave up my HI about 3 years ago. I've saved 2000 euro to date. Spent it all on cycling gear last year tho. Should I be taking out HI again?

I availed of it when I broke my pelvis to get an MRI scan very quickly in the Santry sports clinic. The swift and efficient post care after the scan and diagnose of 3 fractures made having private health insurance worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'll try to hang on till 2016, when we get universal health care, hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

I see previous post only now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

RobFowl wrote: »
    On the bright side did get a sympathy shag once I got home from hospital and have a 7 yr old as a result who was worth any amount of suffering....

I was asked "where the f*ck were you?" when I broke two ribs on a MTB in Ballinastoe :rolleyes: I sold the MTB....

When I was 5, for some unknown reason, I decided to rest my index finger on the chainring and then spin the chain. I still have the "scar". My wife says she loves me for who I am not what I am.

When cycling to work as a young lad of 16 I bunnyhopped my bike onto a kerb not realising the quick release on the front wheel was loose. Result-landed on path face first, grazed up the entirety of one side of my face for a while.
    Downside: looked unsightly. Upside: I got served beer without question and nobody picked a fight with me (not bad at all if you lived where I grew up!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

- Cracked ribs (car door opening on bike lane)
    - Smashed elbow requiring permanent metal bars that beep when I go through some airport scanners (front mudguard on rental bike coming loose while going downhill)
    - Winged shoulder blade as a result of crashing into bus

Lots of arthirits, but sure beats being on the DART/bus every morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

mrcheez wrote: »
    - Cracked ribs (car door opening on bike lane)
    - Smashed elbow requiring permanent metal bars that beep when I go through some airport scanners (front mudguard on rental bike coming loose while going downhill)
    - Winged shoulder blade as a result of crashing into bus

Lots of arthirits, but sure beats being on the DART/bus every morning :D

That sounds like some form of Stockholm syndrome...

Nothing more than cuts and bruises for me thankfully *touch wood*. Had a bad spill a few years ago when I hit and was thrown over the bars by...wait for it...a mink.
    Thankfully the helmet took the grunt of it but I left a fair amount of skin on the tarmac that day.

And yes, the mink was fine. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Had a chain snap (While I was up on the pedals) going down the hill on winetavern st. (Christchurch hill) Over the handlebars (pedals and runners lucky enough) handlebars nearly took my right nut off on it's way to a full length inner leg bruise, was wearing a heavy-ish jacket (lucky enough, it was ripped to shreds, helmet cracked few spots of road rash on knees.

I learned three things from that :
    1. don't buy a second hand bike from Garda auction (bad juju)
    2. Always oil your chain ( or at least check it regularly)
    3. Never evel knevel down a steep hill in front of a bus (inches to spare)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

brayblue24 wrote: »
    When cycling to work as a young lad of 16 I bunnyhopped my bike onto a kerb not realising the quick release on the front wheel was loose. Result-landed on path face first, grazed up the entirety of one side of my face for a while.
    Downside: looked unsightly. Upside: I got served beer without question and nobody picked a fight with me (not bad at all if you lived where I grew up!!)

That story was a bit of a legend in my school. So you were the muppet who did that. Its good to put a face boardsie account to a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm currently sitting at my desk with a sliotar under my hamstring trying to work the knots out of it. My colleagues must think I have an itchy behind as I keep shifting in my seat and pulling stupid faces.

It's cheaper than physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm currently sitting at my desk with a sliotar under my hamstring trying to work the knots out of it. My colleagues must think I have an itchy behind as I keep shifting in my seat and pulling stupid faces.

It's cheaper than physio.

This is how gerbil rumours start

bogmanfan wrote: »
    This is how gerbil rumours start

Hasn't done Richard Gere's career any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I've gotten away fairly lucky. Mostly I've come off sideways and ended up with road rash, a sore hand and occasionally bruised ribs (fncking Ouch). Managed to get road rash on my face once by landing, uh, on my face, which also caused me to bite through my lower lip, which had to be stitched back together. That was almost entirely sorted after a week though.
    The skin on my knees and elbows has been replaced through natural means a number of times, but that's pretty much it.

I have a particular joint condition in my knees which causes my kneecaps to suddenly dislocate themselves if the muscles flex in exactly the wrong way. I first discovered this at age 11 when I stood on a skateboard, my kneecap spontaneously dislocated and broke in half. I spent the next 12 hours unsuccessfully trying to convince medical staff that I didn't fall off the fncking skateboard, I just twisted my knee. :(
    Thankfully the cycling has provided additional muscle around the knees such that this effectively doesn't happen to me anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hasn't done Richard Gere's career any harm.

Why couldn't the hamster drive?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Why couldn't the hamster drive?

I don't know, why couldn't the hamster drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

n-dawg wrote: »
    That story was a bit of a legend in my school. So you were the muppet who did that

Unlikely given that I've never been to Glasgow in my life. And that it happened in 1983. Nice sentiment though-classy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Unlikely given that I've never been to Glasgow in my life. And that it happened in 1983. Nice sentiment though-classy :rolleyes:

I'm from Cabinteely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

Handlebar through the cheek. And I don't mean my arse cheek.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I don't know, why couldn't the hamster drive?

Cos he was stuck in gere .....

(Sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

Broken Scaphoid, 2 herniated discs t4 and t5 and a complete removal of skin from my left elbow which took nearly 4 months to heal, needed a skin graft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I might as well tip my hat in for this one.

Bruised knee, cracked hip, bruised ribs, road rash the length of my arm and bruised shoulder... Oh and thankful that I had a helmet at the time as I really felt like I had my bell rung, the drunk/drug user running at me when I fell off really didn't help matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Way back when we raced in 1988 in Cookstown I saw a lad get a brake lever through his hand in a group crash... He had no gloves on... He got impaled on it.

We just kept him chatting and kept him still. It was pretty gruesome and it all looked like a joke thing that you buy. Luckily it was in the days of exposed brake cables and the ambulanec men were able to cut the cable and screw the lever off the bike with an allen key.

Not much blood as the lever was keeping it all in. It wasn't even his lever. He walked into the ambulance with a fella saying "What about me Shimano 600 Lever"

He made a good recovery but it put him off for a few months.

The initial crash of which I got cut and bruised as well was caused by a tri-athelete who wasnt paying attention and touched off another lads wheel taking off about 18 lads in a domino effect

Is it any wonder I have no time for Tri-athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Can I just ask - Im thinking of getting into road biking with an view of completing a couple of Audax' (and yeah, this is probably the worst thread to be reading) but do most of you guys pick up these injuries racing or are these happening on your way to work or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anecdotally it would appear most people pick up their most serious injuries while commuting. Maybe that's just because most cycling done is commuting rather than racing. Or maybe it's because you have to contend with more obstacles and you're more likely to be tired/distracted/etc.

I haven't crashed in a couple of years, but then I'm a pussy and I tend to be more risk averse than other (read:younger) cyclists. I'd rather get home in one piece than pick up an extra 2km/h on a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Beasty wrote: »
    Broken wrist falling in ice a few years ago, but I the worst was this:

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/BeastyofNCD/preop.jpg

That was before the skin graft ...

... this one was after:

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/BeastyofNCD/postop.jpg

I won't embed in case anyone's squeamish:pac:

Had concussion, lots more road rash and 4 days in hospital as a result

Wow, how did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

seamus wrote: »
    Anecdotally it would appear most people pick up their most serious injuries while commuting. Maybe that's just because most cycling done is commuting rather than racing. Or maybe it's because you have to contend with more obstacles and you're more likely to be tired/distracted/etc.

I haven't crashed in a couple of years, but then I'm a pussy and I tend to be more risk averse than other (read:younger) cyclists. I'd rather get home in one piece than pick up an extra 2km/h on a descent.

Yeah, I commute most days about 10 miles each way through Dublin. I'm also fairly cautious and don't take chances at junctions etc. although I've come off twice on slippy road surfaces. I guess my question is are you more likely to have a crash on a road bike than a flat-bar hybrid because of the difference in rider position or other aspect of road bike design?

Are they more tippy like? :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

logik wrote: »
    Wow, how did that happen?
    Heading into work one day. Poorly finished bit of hard shoulder - they had dug a channel across it, and left a very uneven finish. What I never appreciated was there was a stone embedded in the tarmac, sticking out a couple of centimetres. I hit it, apparently flew over the handlebars (can't actually remember, but one eye-witness suggested I looked like a binbag being blown through the air). Must have landed helmet-first - had bad road rash on one shoulder and both arms but my lower body and the bike were pretty much unscathed (allowing me to be back on the turbo within a week or so...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I was knocked down this morning, about 1 minute into my commute. No big injuries thankfully, although I do have a sore arse and wrist and I was able to get into work on the bike ok.

The lady was very apologetic and I actually felt the need to apologise after the language I used towards her. I took a photo of her license plate and taxi plate and we both went on our way. My pedal is bent but turning ok.

I'm just wondering is there anything else I should have done? I didn't feel the need to ring the guards or take insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If it was clearly her fault, I'd ask her to replace pedals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Call to the gardai and make a report. Get her insurance details and report the incident. That way, if the wrist/arse flare up later you have some comeback.

Advertisement