Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The summit inn howth

Options
  • 11-01-2014 3:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

What do people think about this place.
    Going tomorrow night for a meal and just want to know if it's good cheers.
    I'm going from clontarf station to howth station is it a long walk ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

It's a longish walk alright and with a few different ways to walk too. It would work up a nice thirst and hunger. i think there's a bus that goes up there that you could catch from the end of the Howth road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really long walk, sure it's a long walk from Howth Dart station in itself.

Nice place all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭RoadWars2013

Birneybau wrote: »
    Really long walk, sure it's a long walk from Howth Dart station in itself.

Nice place all the same.

Ye I know the bus 31/a think I will get off a Sutton and catch it from Sutton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Food is OK. It would be well down the list of preferred eateries in Howth. I'd suggest you go for somewhere on the prom or in the village instead.

Any of the 31s buses will get you there. All pass through Fairview turning left onto Howth Road just west of Clontarf DART. Bus stop is at east end of Marino Crescent.

Shortest walk is up the old tram tracks which start behind the bus stop opposite Howth DART station. Not much scenery and plenty of dog do. 25/30 mins.

Middle way is through the village and left side of church. 35 or 45 mins depending on if you walk the promenade or take the right after Findlaters.

Scenic route is walk to the far side of the harbour, turn right after the King Sitric and keep on going up the cliff walk, then veer right when approaching the Baily Lighhouse, up to the Summit car park and down Baily Green Road. A good hour but well worth it for the views unless the weather is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Food is ok to good but there are better places in Howth.

Staff are mostly off hand'ish and less than friendly ~ you certainly won't return for the hospitality.

Get a bus or cab up from the harbour unless you're fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ye I know the bus 31/a think I will get off a Sutton and catch it from Sutton

I wouldn't if I were you. That is a very roundabout way of doing things. Get the 31 bus in Fairview at the bottom of the Howth Rd. It will take you all the way to the Summit Inn non stop. The bus stop is only a couple of minutes walk from the Clontarf Dart station. The 31 only runs every 30 mins on Sundays. If you get it in Sutton, you could have a long wait in the cold. If you get it in Fairview, it will only be about 5-10 minutes into its journey that starts in Abbey St. So if you look up the departure times on the Dublin bus website, you can time when you need to be at the bus stop & cut out the needless hanging around in the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I wouldn't if I were you. That is a very roundabout way of doing things. Get the 31 bus in Fairview at the bottom of the Howth Rd. It will take you all the way to the Summit Inn non stop. The bus stop is only a couple of minutes walk from the Clontarf Dart station. The 31 only runs every 30 mins on Sundays. If you get it in Sutton, you could have a long wait in the cold. If you get it in Fairview, it will only be about 5-10 minutes into its journey that starts in Abbey St. So if you look up the departure times on the Dublin bus website, you can time when you need to be at the bus stop & cut out the needless hanging around in the cold.

I wouldn't even chance more than 5 minutes to the Fairiew stop. A clear run can have the bus there 4 mins from departure time.

Also if you wait at 31 Sutton X stop and the 31B comes along, there's a chance you might not make it to the 31B stop in time.

DART and walk, or bus all the way, are your best options.

(trust us, we're both local iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. We are.
    When I get the 31 bus home to Sutton (from Fairview) on a Sunday evening, it is generally after a Dubs game in Croker, where the bus driver was doing a lot of stopping, to pick up loads of deliriously happy Dubs. No doubt, it takes a lot less time to get to Fairview from Abbey St on non match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The place could do with a renovation but it's not a bad pub overall. They serve nice calamari for a reasonable price, around €8 as far as I remember. It's a nice place to stop if you're out for a long walk on the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Haven't been for a couple of years and never had the food, but found it nice enough for a pint or two, and the outdoor tables are lovely if the weather's good.

Cheers,

Ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

It's one hell of a walk especially if the weather stays like this. I'd opt for somewhere nearer the harbour. Plenty of nice restaurants near the train station. If it's pub food you want I'd recommend O'Connells. Nice atmosphere and only a 5 minute walk from the train.

Advertisement