Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 1TB Ext. Hard Drive

Options
  • 11-01-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I didnt know whether i should post this in BA requests or here, so here goes my question.

I've thought of getting an ext hard drive & saw these to compare on pixmania

As i saw the Verbatim before xmas and still at that price, until i read that WD are the best? as i've already got a Medion Store n Go 500GB & is almost full up, give or take a few weeks & it will.

Thanks for your time & patience regarding this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭oldbie

Without being glib it's probably a waste of time guessing at the longevity and/or performance of one mainstream ext hard drive brand over the other.

I've carried a WD 500GB hard drive around in a pouch in my laptop backback for 4 years and had no problems. It's obviously had to withstand a few bumps and drops of the bag in that time but I've taken care to ensure it hasn't gotten any abuse. But hard drives can and do fail occasionally and ultimately their lifespan is finite. And if you think about the mechanics of what it's actually doing it's pretty amazing that they don't fail more often/sooner.

If your primary storage requirement is for movies and music then I wouldn't agonise too much over it as most of this can be easily sourced again if the hard drive ever fails.

If your primary storage requirement is for work or personal files that you cannot afford/really don't want to lose then it's more important to have a back up system in place so that you always have two copies of your important files. i.e getting into the habit of backing up your laptop/desktop once a week.

Advertisement