Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling history - Walker brothers

• 11-01-2014 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Michael and John Walker, who cycled for the Great Britain team in the Olympics - or as they reckoned, for the Irish team; they're said to have shinned up the flagpole and changed the Union Jack for an Irish flag - also fought in 1916 -

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0139.pdf

They were apparently from Fairview, but I can't find them there in the 1911 Census. Does anyone know any more about them, and why John Walker didn't give evidence to the Bureau of Military History - had he died or emigrated by the time those records were made?

288341.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ironic second name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

No need for limited thinking. Early cyclists didn't:

Im1932Bart-p43b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Michael and John Walker, who cycled for the Great Britain team in the Olympics - or as they reckoned, for the Irish team; they're said to have shinned up the flagpole and changed the Union Jack for an Irish flag - also fought in 1916 -

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0139.pdf

They were apparently from Fairview, but I can't find them there in the 1911 Census. Does anyone know any more about them, and why John Walker didn't give evidence to the Bureau of Military History - had he died or emigrated by the time those records were made?

288341.jpg

Maybe it's the photograph but that's some freaky saddle position :eek:

Maybe it's the photograph but that's some freaky saddle position :eek:

Standard at the time, I suspect:

Im1932Bart-p51a.jpg

(from Bartleet's Bicycle Book)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Not trying to drag this off topic too much, but I'll take your water-cycle and raise you some hydrofoil bicycles! Music is ace too.

• Advertisement

Oooh. I want one of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

No need for limited thinking. Early cyclists didn't:

Im1932Bart-p43b.jpg

Is that the famous racing driver SF Edge in the middle of that contraption? His win in the 1902 Gordon Bennett indirectly led to the creation of Irish road racing of the motorised variety...

The Crunch wrote: »
    Is that the famous racing driver SF Edge in the middle of that contraption? His win in the 1902 Gordon Bennett indirectly led to the creation of Irish road racing of the motorised variety...

Very likely. Cycling and competitive driving were intertwined in the late 19th and early 20th century in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Very likely. Cycling and competitive driving were intertwined in the late 19th and early 20th century in Ireland.

Edge was English and, according to his wiki page, a racing cyclist of some note. Well it excites me!

As for the Walker Brothers, I'd love to read more about them. There's got to be a TG4 docco in it!

The Crunch wrote: »
    Edge was English and, according to his wiki page, a racing cyclist of some note. Well it excites me!

As for the Walker Brothers, I'd love to read more about them. There's got to be a TG4 docco in it!

I'm surprised that none of their family has appeared here to post about them. Might crosslink to the history forum.

• Advertisement

Found a little more online:
    A talented sportsman, [Michael Walker] competed in 1912 Stockholm Olympics as a Road Cyclist, was the fifty mile Irish Road Champion and also was a founding member of Old St. Mary’s Football Club. The Stephen’s Cup and other cycling trophies awarded to him are now held in the National Museum’s collection.

I've never seen these trophies on display in the National Museum - have you? Is it time to ask for a major exhibition on Irish cycling in the museum? The Ulster Museum of Folk and Transport History (I think it's called) has some Irish-made bicycles, Pierces from Dublin and Wexford, etc. An exhibition might bring new material in from the attics…!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Found a little more online:

I've never seen these trophies on display in the National Museum - have you? Is it time to ask for a major exhibition on Irish cycling in the museum? The Ulster Museum of Folk and Transport History (I think it's called) has some Irish-made bicycles, Pierces from Dublin and Wexford, etc. An exhibition might bring new material in from the attics…!

I will head over at lunch and see if they have any info on the trophys or the lads

morana wrote: »
    I will head over at lunch and see if they have any info on the trophys or the lads

Brilliant! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Went to the National Museum here in Kildare sts and asked. The stuff isnt there and most likely is up in Collins Barracks. If you ring the Duty officer there today he is an expert in all matters 1916 and he should have a better idea.

Hm. Was in their weapons section, held a pike from 1798… didn't see any bikes or trophies offhand, but will ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The NLI has a couple of pictures of Michael Walker digitised in their catalogue. They've a couple from the 1960s including one where he is showing his medals and trophies (I assume a mix of military and sporting) and an older one from when he was in service

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000269864

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000269692

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 molders

Hi I bought Michael Walkers medals when they came up for sale in 2007 and I have researched his life story since. He did indeed represent Ireland in the 200 mile road race at the Stockholm Olympics in 1912 and he received a participants medal (first two photos) along with a participants pin. He finished first of the Irish riders with a time of 12 hours 27 minutes. In addition to this he won lots of other soccer, rugby and cycling medals (last two photos). He fought in Jacobs in 1916 and died in March 1971.

Wow, beautiful!

In the cross-posted link in the History forum, Feargale mentions that History Ireland had an issue devoted to Irish Olympians in 2012, which included an article on cycling. Here it is, I think:

http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/cycling-spokes-and-political-strokes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If you google Great Britain at the 1912 Summer Olympics you will get detailed information on the performances of all the Irish cyclists at Stockholm 1912, both in the individual and team event. Incidentally one of them was a guy named Mecredy. I reckon this was either the guy who published a motoring/cycling magazine in Dublin for a few years around the turn of the 20th century, and who is credited with starting the sport of bicycle polo ( now popular only in the Indian subcontinent, ) or if not he is then almost certainly a relative of his. That magazine is available in the National Library.

Yes, same Mecredy. The magazine he published was The Irish Cyclist, widely regarded (with what accuracy I don't know) as the world's first cycling magazine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement