Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 different water taps problem

• 11-01-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just moved to an apartment and noticed in the bathroom there are 2 different water taps, one for cold and other for hot water. With hot water i almost burned my hand :(
    It's very hard to have an optimum temperature, one is too hot while other is freezing, is there any special pipe to fix this problem? Or any other idea please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi,

I just moved to an apartment and noticed in the bathroom there are 2 different water taps, one for cold and other for hot water. With hot water i almost burned my hand :(
    It's very hard to have an optimum temperature, one is too hot while other is freezing, is there any special pipe to fix this problem? Or any other idea please?

Thanks

There should be temperature control, you must source where the hot water is coming from.

Is it coming from a combi-boiler or a hot water cylinder or an undersink heater. All of these should have a temperature control on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

You could fit a thermostatic mixing valve under the basin.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bristan-MT503CP-mini-thermostatic-mixing-valve-/221245327131

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

It's coming from hot water storage tank, it heats up during the night.
    There should be temperature control, you must source where the hot water is coming from.

Is it coming from a combi-boiler or a hot water cylinder or an undersink heater. All of these should have a temperature control on them.

I cant fix this valve myself, is there any easier way which I can do myself?
    Ging Ging wrote: »
    You could fit a thermostatic mixing valve under the basin.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bristan-MT503CP-mini-thermostatic-mixing-valve-/221245327131

It's coming from hot water storage tank, it heats up during the night.

What heats it up ? An electric Immersion ?

If its an electric immersion, they have a cover cap at the top of the cylinder which has be taken off by undoing the little small nut on top of the cap,
    under the cap you should be able to see the thermostat with a small arrow and dial, try turning down it down slightly.

If its an electric immersion look for this or similar under the cover cap http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/IHST7.JPG

But be aware these thermostats tend to stop working and wont control the temp properly, they are however easily replaced.

Obviously if you turn it down using this method, all the hot water will be cooler, which may not suit depending on your shower.

• Advertisement

I just moved in this apartment yesterday.

I am sending you the picture of the hot water panel. I don't even know how it works :(

288275.jpg

Dont adjust the thermostat on the electric immersion heater (on tank) below 60 degrees. You wash at 40 but stored hot water needs to be heated to 60 to kill bacteria, namely legionella. So if the temperature is above 60 you can turn it down, otherwise you will need to look at ways of mixing the hot water to reduce temp before use.

Ging Ging wrote: »
    Dont adjust the thermostat on the electric immersion heater (on tank) below 60 degrees. You wash at 40 but stored hot water needs to be heated to 60 to kill bacteria, namely legionella. So if the temperature is above 60 you can turn it down, otherwise you will need to look at ways of mixing the hot water to reduce temp before use.

If the water coming out of the tap is almost burning his hand immediately then its above 60 degrees in my opinion. In my experience this is usually down to the thermostat set too high or not functioning correctly. Those thermostats stop working an awful lot, the idea of turning it down is usually to see if it makes any difference, if it makes no difference then he obviously would need a new thermostat.

If the water coming out of the tap is almost burning his hand immediately then its above 60 degrees in my opinion. In my experience this is usually down to the thermostat set too high or not functioning correctly. Those thermostats stop working an awful lot, the idea of turning it down is usually to see if it makes any difference, if it makes no difference then he obviously would need a new thermostat.

Yea Outkast what you say is true, I was just adding some additional information so they didn't turn down the thermostat and leave it that way. Also the op didnt say they were burned immediately, they said "i almost burned my hand". Its possible to be burned by water at 60 degrees if you hold your had there.

Now it may well be over 60 degrees (seems most likely) and your advise on checking the thermostat operation is very good.

thanks for the advice and opinions guys.

but the problem is not about the thermostat, I want the cold and hot water to be mixed proportionally so I can wash hands and face conveniently...any advice on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

but the problem is not about the thermostat, I want the cold and hot water to be mixed proportionally so I can wash hands and face conveniently...any advice on this please?

Could always replace the sink for one with a single hole and use a mixer tap

Yes, you need a plumber unless you are very good at diy yourself, and you would need to pay him to install a mixing valve at to set it at a temperature that suits you.

As your renting I must add that in my opinion you should probably just put a plug in the sink and mix it to whatever way you like , like most people. The landlord wont pay for this and doesn't have any obligation to.

Unless your planning on staying there very long term I cant see it being worth your while carrying out the work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Hi,

Thanks

Yep, Its called a wash-hand basin plug/stopper. You just plug it in and run both taps. It also stops you from wasting water by just letting it run. :cool:

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement