Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 10and 1/2 stone to 8 and 1/2 by June

Options
  • 11-01-2014 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I am a 15 year old girl, I'm 5 ft 11 and I weigh 10 stone 4. I want to be a jockey so badly so I NEED to lose 2 stone by June! That's when the racing starts and tips on how I can do it healthily? I'm doing my junior certificate and can't afford to do any crash diets! I have a treadmill and do a tone of horse riding! Is it possible for me to lose 2 stone by June? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Hi there,

Your post might be better suited to the nutrition forum, which you can find here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

With relation to becoming a jockey. I assume you are referring to a flat jockey? You do have the option of becoming a National Hunt jockey or Qualified Rider, where you don't have to be able to ride at very light weights.

The other thing to bear in mind: if you're 'struggling' to keep your weight down now, think about what could happen in 5 years or so - it will be much harder as you get older, so you need to think about that. For example, Joseph O'Brien is really struggling with his weight and has to work exceptionally hard to keep it down. Not only is he taking so much exercise each date, but he is also very regimented in his diet. He visited a nutritionist when he became aware that weight was going to be a problem and they drew up a diet for him. I know you say you don't have much spare cash at the moment, but if you're serious about losing the weight, it might be something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bubblegumcandy

convert wrote: »
    Hi there,

Your post might be better suited to the nutrition forum, which you can find here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

With relation to becoming a jockey. I assume you are referring to a flat jockey? You do have the option of becoming a National Hunt jockey or Qualified Rider, where you don't have to be able to ride at very light weights.

The other thing to bear in mind: if you're 'struggling' to keep your weight down now, think about what could happen in 5 years or so - it will be much harder as you get older, so you need to think about that. For example, Joseph O'Brien is really struggling with his weight and has to work exceptionally hard to keep it down. Not only is he taking so much exercise each date, but he is also very regimented in his diet. He visited a nutritionist when he became aware that weight was going to be a problem and they drew up a diet for him. I know you say you don't have much spare cash at the moment, but if you're serious about losing the weight, it might be something to think about.
    Thank you so much, 5 year is a long way away, I'll talk to my mom about the nutritionalist, money isn't really a problem, what exercises should I be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, I'm not a jockey and never had to diet as I've been around 8 stone for years but I'd advise you to be very careful. If you're not built to be 8 and a half stone, then getting yourself to that weight could be dangerous. I'd do what convert says, and get a nutritionalist and use the forum above. You might be find answers easier.
    Have you rode horses before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bubblegumcandy

sup_dude wrote: »
    OP, I'm not a jockey and never had to diet as I've been around 8 stone for years but I'd advise you to be very careful. If you're not built to be 8 and a half stone, then getting yourself to that weight could be dangerous. I'd do what convert says, and get a nutritionalist and use the forum above. You might be find answers easier.
    Have you rode horses before?
    Yeah I ride horses and have ridden them pretty much every day since I was 4! I'm going to a dietician :) thank you :) I'm going to be able to be a jockey at 9 stone so 9 stone is my goal

Just remember that if you want to ride at 9 stone (i.e. the weight that the horse is to carry in the race), you'll want to be about 7lbs lighter than that. The back protector, colours, breechers, number cloth, saddle pad and saddle (even a 2lb saddle) all add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I am a 15 year old girl,... I'm doing my junior certificate and can't afford to do any crash diets! I have a treadmill and do a tone of horse riding! ...

15 year olds shouldnt be receiving exercise recommendations from the internet.
    Thank you so much, 5 year is a long way away, I'll talk to my mom about the nutritionalist, money isn't really a problem, what exercises should I be doing?
    Yeah I ride horses and have ridden them pretty much every day since I was 4! I'm going to a dietician smile.png thank you smile.png I'm going to be able to be a jockey at 9 stone so 9 stone is my goal

If money isnt an issue and you have a dietician then you should get your mother to find a personal trainer.

OP, as you've started a thread in the Fitness and Diet forum, I'm going to close this one.

/Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement