Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Sound Trouble

Options
  • 11-01-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out.

I just bought my PS4 yesterday. I have a projector I play PS4 on, and a surround sound system.

I can hook the visuals to the projector using teh HDMI cable at the back of the Ps4 - but that leaves me without a cable to connect to the sound system. I know the PS4 has an Optical input, but my Surround Sound system doesn't.

Does anybody know how I can connect my PS4 to the surround SOund system?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

For anyone to help you out,you need to share some details on your Surround Sound System.What inputs/outputs does it have?
    But I'll jump to conclusion here and presume you have an AUX analog L/R In,on your system.
    If So you'll need something like this Digital to Analog Audio Converter.........

41VP24ZnpuL._SX385_.jpg41Dxf6xmkiL._SX385_.jpg

Now I found under a quick search,so you will find cheaper ones around and in many Bricks&Mortar Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lyonsd78

BAZZZZZ...Thanks a mill.

Please forgive my complete lack of knowledge in this area.

I bought an Optical to Optical cable today, like an eejit, but the Sound System doesn't have an Optical connection......

All it has is a scart option, a HDMI option (but HDMI to PS4 is being used up by projector) and the Video In/Video out yellow, red, white female options...

Is the above what I need?

Cheers!

I'm sure you can use the red/white option if that is an input and connect it to one of the digital to analog converters(DAC).But like i said i only had a quick browse,so I'm sure you'll find a cheap DAC if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Does the sound system not have a hdmi out as well? Usually they are in between the source player and display device and strip out the audio.

Idleater wrote: »
    Does the sound system not have a hdmi out as well? Usually they are in between the source player and display device and strip out the audio.

It does mate. But I am using the HDMI on the PS4 to go to the projector, leaving me stumped as to what to use to connect to the sound system...

• Advertisement

lyonsd78 wrote: »
    It does mate. But I am using the HDMI on the PS4 to go to the projector, leaving me stumped as to what to use to connect to the sound system...

Send it from the playstation into the sound system and out of the sound system into the projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Sounds like all you need is 2 hdmi cables, connect ps4 to hdmi in of sound system, then connect the other cable to the hdmi out linking to your tv

Thanks guys,

But I only have one HDMI port on the sound system....

Thanks guys,

But I only have one HDMI port on the sound system....

Hmm, we must have some crossed wires...

What make and model is the sound system

This is why I suggested my above solution.

• Advertisement

Hmm, we must have some crossed wires...

What make and model is the sound system

Idelater - I really appreciate your help - and am very sorry if I'm coming across like a doorknob - I'm just not well versed in the techology Dept.

This is the Sound System I have.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HTS3164/05&scy=gb&slg=en

Your a legend!

If your projector has RCA (Red/White) output,you could connect it directly to your
    surround sound system's AUX port.

2962m1w.jpg

Using these........rca-plug.jpg

The RCA (red white) is your only option for audio input on your sound system. Such systems are really not designed for hooking multiple external sources into.

Does e ps4 come with a standard output connector with yellow red and white RCA connectors? It might be possible to use both that for audio and hdmi for video without having to buy an optical to RCA adaptor that bazz linked to.

Thanks guys...

This is my projector....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ThemeScene_HD65.htm

Limited options here, huh?

Well I'm sure your only option is to find a DAC similar to what I mentioned earlier in the thread.To connect the optical from the PS4 to the DAC and from there to the AUX on the Surround Sound System,using RCA jacks.

Lads - if there is no way for me to connect from my Speaker System to the Projector, seeing as the HDMI is being used for the ps4...could you recommend the cheapest Sound System I could possibly buy with Optical cable option?

Sorry to be a pain.

Did you not get a standard av (yellow red and white rca) in the box with the ps4?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Did you not get a standard av (yellow red and white rca) in the box with the ps4?

No.
    Comes with an HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Get a sound bar. They take optical cable from tv into the sound bar. everything out of the tv (ps4, upc, dvd player) plays the sound through the bar. get one with a sub woofer and they are absolutely class.

Advertisement