Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two 78m high wind power turbines out near Shanakill (Ring)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Not sure if there was objections to them or not but I must say that driving around the area it is actually hard enough to see them in the location that they are in.

I thought when I heard the height that they would be visable all around Old Parish and Ring but it is only when you are near enough to them that they are visable.

There are some photos from last week

http://youtu.be/OB-YC-L0kKM

Don't know if the youtube clip will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Great pictures, it was the crane I saw first. They are fairly obvious from Clonea looking out towards Ring. Normally the council get funny about planning permission for anything that can be seen from the coast roads that are tourist routes.

I've no problem with it though I think they are a great idea.

I think they look amazing myself.

Driving up Seaview - the road from the middle of Ring up to Old Parish - going past these, it is nearly impossible to see them until you are very near to them.

I haven't actually been over by Clonea so I haven't seen what they look like from that view.

fitzcoff wrote: »

Driving up Seaview - the road from the middle of Ring up to Old Parish - going past these, it is nearly impossible to see them until you are very near to them.

I haven't actually been over by Clonea so I haven't seen what they look like from that view.

I saw the crane back before Christmas last year and first thought was that is a big enough crane to put up a wind turbine but dismissed the thought as I couldn't imagine one getting permission out there.

The day I started this thread is when they finished putting the blades on the first of the two wind turbines so it then became obvious what it was.

I'll see if I can get you a picture tomorrow.

Tried to photograph yesterday and it was just to wet, windy and foggy, camera was misted up and you can hardly see the masts in the photos.

Today because I had put my camera out to dry I forgot to take it but still really not good weather for phones.

I see the crane is up again and working on the second wind turbine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They can be seen as clear as day from across the water in Ballinacourty

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

The view of Dungarvan Bay is now ruined now with 2 big fannies
    Hope they will be able to put a big pylon between them
    Happy Days

Not that easy to photograph from across the bay at Clonea Castle

289362.JPG

I've messed with the picture a little so the size of the tubines is about the same as you see it when you are stood just below Clonea Castle.

If I posted a view of the whole bay you'd hardly see notice the turbines on the picture even though they are quite obvious in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nice picture, I'm between minds on those, tbh, is the radio mast at Faha higher?

For the first time on my way into Dungarvan today I noticed them across from Barnawee Bridge, if as fitscoff says you can't really see them much from out on Ring then I don't see them as being too intrusive.

I think there are much larger towers and turbines than these and that they are probably a good compromise between the amount of power they produce and the impact on the view.

But I'd normally side with wind power over Nimby's where renewable energy is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

That feeling wears off pretty quickly.

Yes an amazing eye sore on the landscape

I must say it was amazing watching them being erected , but I now that they are almost completed they do look a lot bigger with the propellor attached.

I must say it was amazing watching them being erected , but I now that they are almost completed they do look a lot bigger with the propellor attached.

The second one (the one on the left right of the picture) seems to be much taller than the first one to be erected I assume its on higher ground?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 farmer john8

from tory hill south kilkenny you can see all the wind turbines in co kilkenny and county waterford on a clear day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would much rather see wind turbines (I think they are quite pleasing to be honest) than a nuclear or coal fired power station.

looksee wrote: »
    I would much rather see wind turbines (I think they are quite pleasing to be honest) than a nuclear or coal fired power station.

While I agree with your sentiment completely, I don't live close to either and I have empathy for anyone who do. To the point that even if there are no proven links to problems, be that sound pollution, electrical energy interference, visual anomolies, local weather alterations, or whatever. Any concerns of persons living near the turbines should be alleviated completely before construction of the units take place, if not, this will compound the perceived problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I agree with your sentiment completely, I don't live close to either and I have empathy for anyone who do. To the point that even if there are no proven links to problems, be that sound pollution, electrical energy interference, visual anomolies, local weather alterations, or whatever. Any concerns of persons living near the turbines should be alleviated completely before construction of the units take place, if not, this will compound the perceived problems.

The only way you can completely alleviate the concerns of persons living near them (most of the negative comments on this thread have been about the visual impact) is by not building them at all, which brings us back to the NIMBY argument.

And I am sure that all the people on here who are quite happy to be surrounded by concrete, petrochemical surfaces and a network of electrical wiring, wifi, radio waves etc are not worried about electrical energy interference. Sound pollution? The endless burble of the television, mobile phones, traffic, and music plugged directly into ears are more immediate than windmills.

There are very, very few people who live within audible distance of the windmills, and their concerns should certainly be considered, but all the rest are just looking for something to make a fuss about.

The only way you can completely alleviate the concerns of persons living near them (most of the negative comments on this thread have been about the visual impact) is by not building them at all, which brings us back to the NIMBY argument.

Not quite, I believe that full education on the subject may alleviate most fears people have, I don't mean a meeting in a local hotel to scaremonger people, but actual study results from existing wind farms.
    And I am sure that all the people on here who are quite happy to be surrounded by concrete, petrochemical surfaces and a network of electrical wiring, wifi, radio waves etc are not worried about electrical energy interference.

A little sweeping of a statement there, but again I believe education is the answer here.
    Sound pollution? The endless burble of the television, mobile phones, traffic, and music plugged directly into ears are more immediate than windmills.

There are very, very few people who live within audible distance of the windmills, and their concerns should certainly be considered, but all the rest are just looking for something to make a fuss about.

I wouldn't dismiss the noise issues that readily.

http://oto2.wustl.edu/cochlea/wind.html

http://www.epaw.org/documents.php?article=n20

http://www.madebydelta.com/delta/Business_units/TC/Services+by+technology/Acoustics/Low+frequency+noise/Low+frequency+noise+from+large+wind+turbines.page

http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/JASMAN12963727_1.pdf

I don't want to ignite a debate on any particular one issue to do with the turbines, but this is one issue I wouldn't dismiss without serious study. The last of the links above is the one I feel provides the best information, however it is not exhaustive and needs further study and should of course be site specific.

I also believe that any EIS being provided at design/planning stage should be carried out at the direction of the Local Authority and paid for by the Developer but should have the potential noise issues exhaustively addressed.

I also believe the EIS's being submitted should be scrutinised by experts in the fields written about and not just by planning officers who may not be experts in the areas of sound and noise pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

362687.png

• Advertisement

Wonder how did Seamus get planing permission to build a house up against the turbines
    It has blown a fair bit down the road since then ?

Advertisement