Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese 5-spice powder?

Options
  • 11-01-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I bought some Chinese Five-Spice Powder the other day but I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.

It's probably a silly question but because I haven't tasted it before, I'm not sure which dish to add it to.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

No idea whether this is normal or not but I use about a teaspoon of 5 spice to season roasted root veg and baby potatoes with unpeeled garlic and a little oil. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭padraig.od

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought some Chinese Five-Spice Powder the other day but I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.

It's probably a silly question but because I haven't tasted it before, I'm not sure which dish to add it to.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

add it to sweet chilli and soya sauce and you have the makings of a lovely stir fry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Its a mix of star anise,cloves, fennel,pepper and cinnamon. So it is quite aniseedey and sweet. It will go with almost anything. Veg beef chicken fish will give it an asiany flavour.

It can be quite powerful so go easy at first to see how it is but i would advise adding to a variety of food and experimenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I love 5 Spice with duck or pork and a little honey & soy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fivespiceduckbreasts_90212

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mix equal parts veg oil and soy sauce with minced garlic and ginger and marinade salmon in it for half an hour then put it all in a lidded dish, skin side up, and sprinkle 5 spice over it then stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes. It's really good over rice, and the sauce is amazing.

Basically put it on just about anything to give it an Asian kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

It surprisingly goes very well with game stew. Add just half a teaspoon when sauteeing onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh all your suggestions sounds wonderful!
    I'm cooking pork tomorrow and will experiment. Dying to see what it tastes like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sautée some chopped Onion and minced garlic, add some chicken (beef or pork work just as well)

When meat browned, add some Broccoli and stir well.
    When Broccoli softens slightly, add some chopped peppers.

Add some egg noodles and stir.

Lastly a dash of dark soy sauce, again, stir well.

Add a tablespoon of honey and stir again.

Before serving, add a generous dash of 5 spice and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I coat the meat in it before making any Chinese stir fry. You should try Thai seven spice as well, it's gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Merkin wrote: »
    I coat the meat in it before making any Chinese stir fry. You should try Thai seven spice as well, it's gorgeous.

Agree. Much prefer Thai 7spice tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Agree. Much prefer Thai 7spice tbh.

Is Thai 7 spice sweeter or spicier? How does it compare?

It's much more fragrant and akin to Thai cooking so a little lighter but more flavoursome IMO!

It's much more fragrant and akin to Thai cooking so a little lighter but more flavoursome IMO!

I needed to get some 5 spice, I usually order my spices by the kilo on amazon, so based on your recommendation I've ordered a kilo of 7 spice too!

Oh good, it's really gorgeous, and a lot more flavoursome, hope you enjoy it! :)

Oh good, it's really gorgeous, and a lot more flavoursome, hope you enjoy it! :)

I'll let you know, ate out in a lovely Thai restaurant last night, has given me ideas for cooking......

• Registered Users Posts: 35 running dogs

I often add some to my rabbit curry. Yum :)

Edited to say : Any curry I just normally use rabbit for curry

• Registered Users Posts: 35 running dogs

I often add some to my rabbit curry. Yum :)

I'll let you know, ate out in a lovely Thai restaurant last night, has given me ideas for cooking......

One of my favourite cuisines and I love how simple it is too! If you've a good recommendation for a restaurant let us know please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Op, I love chinese five spice on duck. Just sprinkle it on before roast. I also spinkle it in soya sauce if I am serving something with a soya dip.
    I needed to get some 5 spice, I usually order my spices by the kilo on amazon, so based on your recommendation I've ordered a kilo of 7 spice too!

Hi Username,
    Do you mind me asking do you buy directly from Amazon or through a seller that sells on Amazon?

I am looking to buy whole white pepper corns and would be delighted if you could recommend a seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Lovely in breadcrumbs of homemade chicken dippers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Kids love it when its used as a rub on pork chops, very tasty indeed .

One of my favourite cuisines and I love how simple it is too! If you've a good recommendation for a restaurant let us know please!

Sawadee Thai in Terenure. Yum!
    Miaireland wrote: »
    Hi Username,
    Do you mind me asking do you buy directly from Amazon or through a seller that sells on Amazon?

I am looking to buy whole white pepper corns and would be delighted if you could recommend a seller

It was a marketplace seller called JustIngredients. I use Parcel Motel so free UK postage. I have previously used another marketplace seller, Whole Foods Online Ltd, but they have postage within the UK so I didn't use them this time. I've also happily used Community Foods. Depends on price and sizing who I buy from, but all of those have been fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

aldi have the thai 7 spice/chinese 5 spice this sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

5 spice is also one of the ingredients of a barbecue sauce or rub.

Good with stir fries too. But use sparingly as it's pretty powefil!

Advertisement