Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

creosote leaking down chimney at back of stove

• 11-01-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have a new build with our fireplace in the corner. We have a solid fuel stove here and we are getting a lot of black liquid leaking down from the top of the stove pipe at the rear onto the hearth. We have put chimney caps on to stop the rain, and we are only burning dry fuel. It does not leak when the stove is cold, only when it heats up. We are getting about half a litre of liquid a night. As far as we know the stove pipe is installed straight up with no bends because its a corner fireplace. Could there possibly be this much condensation?
    Can anybody tell us how this can be fixed and whats causing it?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

Did the installer use a stainless steel liner and insulate the chimney or just connect to it using an adapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Is your chimney not heating up as it should. Perhaps there is too much protruding above the chimney or it is not insulated properly.
    I am sure there will be plenty along to advise you shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I had a similar occasional problem but recently I used some timber which was a bit dozed and had a fair bit of moisture in it and the problem was much worse. It's mainly because my stove is piped straight into the original clay flue chimney which stays too cold and causes condensation. I'm going to put in a steel liner and insulation. I reckon this will sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

I had the same exact issue and in my case it was water coming down the clay chimney pipe. Since we have two pipes going up to the top of the roof, one was actually connected but the other one was just for decoration. The one for decoration wasn't blocked so water was coming down and seeping through the clay pipe.

We managed to find out by putting a camera through the pipe and could see the water marks. In summer we've blocked the pipe that wasn't connected and viola no more leaking creosote.

Advertisement