Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non club member

• 11-01-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Just a question. If you don't pay for the club membership are you entitled to go to meets training or second a motion at a meeting.

I was just told I shouldn't of been allowed to second a motion at the meeting. New chairman in and he well be going by the book.

I haven't paid membership the last few years mainly cause I don't have anyone playing for the club(s). I was helping out training etc but that was about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

cena wrote: »
    Just a question. If you don't pay for the club membership are you entitled to go to meets training or second a motion at a meeting.

I was just told I shouldn't of been allowed to second a motion at the meeting. New chairman in and he well be going by the book.

I haven't paid membership the last few years mainly cause I don't have anyone playing for the club(s). I was helping out training etc but that was about it.

Officially, you wouldn't be allowed to attend the club AGM unless you are a fully paid member. Other meetings it would be at the committee's (chairman in particular) discretion.
    From my own personal experience it really is down to how your club operates and follows the GAA manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

The public should be allowed to come along to meetings even if they aren't member. How else are they to get new members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

As I understand it anyone can attend AGMs but unless you are a fully paid up member of that club then you have absolutly no voting rights and you have no power to put forward proposals or second any motions and similarly you would not be eligible fo tickets for All Irelands etc via that club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The public should be allowed to come along to meetings even if they aren't member. How else are they to get new members

Meetings are not promotional events, they are opportunities for the executive to update the members on events, to delegate responsibilities, and four members to collectively decide the club's future. Future members are not going to make a decision based on what can be a very boring meeting, and they certainly shouldn't have a say in the running if the club without actually first committing to it.

To answer your original question, without having paid up, as far as I know you are precluded from voting in any GAA election or from speaking at an AGM. I don't think you're meant to be allowed to be involved in club activities of any kind, because you wouldn't be covered by insurance, but I might be corrected on that last point.

To be honest I find it a little weird that Todd be willing to help out with a club training teams but wouldn't actually contribute to the always difficult task of funding the running if the club by actually paying your membership. That's just a personal thing, but if you care about the club you must realise they need every penny they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Pay your membership its as simple as that. I know on the servasport system all players and anyone involved with the team are on the team sheet with their own id number given to them. As someone said its a problem if you get injured and you haven't paid your membership, also you have to be a paid member from the previous year to have any vote in the next agm.

• Advertisement

Pay your membership its as simple as that. I know on the servasport system all players and anyone involved with the team are on the team sheet with their own id number given to them. As someone said its a problem if you get injured and you haven't paid your membership, also you have to be a paid member from the previous year to have any vote in the next agm.

I haven't played for the club in at years. Be no problem there

Meetings are not promotional events, they are opportunities for the executive to update the members on events, to delegate responsibilities, and four members to collectively decide the club's future. Future members are not going to make a decision based on what can be a very boring meeting, and they certainly shouldn't have a say in the running if the club without actually first committing to it.

To answer your original question, without having paid up, as far as I know you are precluded from voting in any GAA election or from speaking at an AGM. I don't think you're meant to be allowed to be involved in club activities of any kind, because you wouldn't be covered by insurance, but I might be corrected on that last point.

To be honest I find it a little weird that Todd be willing to help out with a club training teams but wouldn't actually contribute to the always difficult task of funding the running if the club by actually paying your membership. That's just a personal thing, but if you care about the club you must realise they need every penny they can get.

I agree I should pay it but my point is I do all the traveling to the underage games that I help out with out of my own pocket etc like many people.
    I have no problem paying it, I keep putting it off and time goes by.
    I have zero interest in the gaa. I got roped into helping out.

Then stop volunteering. The club will soldier on without you, believe it or not, and you'll be happier.

Then stop volunteering. The club will soldier on without you, believe it or not, and you'll be happier.

I only stay on just cause of the kids that I been training since they all started

I only stay on just cause of the kids that I been training since they all started

Then pay your membership if you care about the kids so much, the club needs it. I mean, what exactly are you asking here? Are you seriously arguing that you should be able to train teams, attends meetings, and not pay membership? Or what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In all fairness that's nonsense. As has been said before, why do you want to involve yourself in club business if you're not willing to pay your dues? Clubs need every cent they can get, particularly in today's environment. Why should you have a say if you're not a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Non members can attend AGM's but theyd lack voting rights. If your not paid up why should you have a say in the running of the club. Fair play for helping out but thousands across the country pay up membership and then do loads out of their own pockets, so why should you get a free ride. Clubs use membership as a stable source of income and would be grateful of every cent they get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

I agree I should pay it but my point is I do all the traveling to the underage games that I help out with out of my own pocket etc like many people.
    I have no problem paying it, I keep putting it off and time goes by.

Something to bear in mind, if you do not pay your membership - you are not covered by the club insurance.

Something to bear in mind, if you do not pay your membership - you are not covered by the club insurance.

I understand very well all this. I well be paying this year and I hope to make it my last year.

Advertisement