Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi in bedroom

Options
  • 11-01-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi. Need to know how to make a wired broadband connection wireless

Had a play station in the room with a cable going into it . So is there something I can plug lead into to make a wireless signal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Hi. Need to know how to make a wired broadband connection wireless

Had a play station in the room with a cable going into it . So is there something I can plug lead into to make a wireless signal.

A router?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you have some kind of router device supplied by your broadband supplier, does it support Wi-Fi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hi mate ive been using wifi in the bedroom for years to broadcast live on cam4 all you need to get is a dongle to receive the signal you can pick one up on ebay 5 quid nowadays best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

What do I plug the dongle into all I have in room is a internet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What do I plug the dongle into all I have in room is a internet cable.
    If you just have a LAN cable, you need a wireless router which are everywhere. You can pick one up in PC World, Maplins, Curries etc. or order off eBay, Amazon etc. Which method do you prefer?

Also, where is the LAN internet cable you have coming from?

• Advertisement

I have a router in living room but the signal isn't strong enough for bedroom . So I have LAN cable coming from router. Belkin 150 to the room

I have a router in living room but the signal isn't strong enough for bedroom . So I have LAN cable coming from router. Belkin 150 to the room
    OK you can get another router or an AP, an AP will just turn the cable into a wireless point only.

Stupid question but what's a ap and were can I get one

Same places as I suggested, its an access point so it will just concert the LAN signal to a WiFi point much like you have it already with the Belkin.

Ok thanks for that. Just wondering Could I put a rj45 to USB adapter on the LAN cable and plug in a dongle

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that. Just wondering Could I put a rj45 to USB adapter on the LAN cable and plug in a dongle
    No you can't do that, USB dongles are receivers. You need a €30 router or access point.

advertsfox wrote: »
    No you can't do that, USB dongles are receivers. You need a €30 router or access point.

Ok thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

hi mate ive been using wifi in the bedroom for years to broadcast live on cam4...

O Rly?

M/F?

Username?

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

AP = access point

I'm not begin rude but a simple Google will answer all your questions

https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+setup+a+home+wireless+network&oq=how+tro+set+up++a+home++wireless&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.71507j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I presume the playstation cant connect to your modem wirelessly(too far??)if thats the case yeah you'll need an Access Point.Look into using wifi wall plugs maybe.

Is there a need to go wireless with the ps3?You have a more stable connection and generally better ping times when wired which adds up to a better online experience especially if you are playing Call of Duty or Battlefield

Advertisement